YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

BUDDY READ:Paranormal/Fantasy > Freeks by Amanda Hocking ---> starting February 2nd

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Irena BookDustMagic | 1420 comments In a world of magical visions and pyrokinesis, Mara just wants to have a normal life. But is that possible?

Mara has become used to the extraordinary. Roaming from place to place with Gideon Davorin’s Traveling Carnival, she longs for an ordinary life where no one has the ability to levitate or predict the future.

She gets her chance when the struggling sideshow sets up camp in the small town of Caudry and she meets a gorgeous local guy named Gabe. But before long, Mara realizes there’s a dark presence lurking in the town that’s threatening the lives of her friends. She has seven days to take control of a power she didn’t know she had in order to save everyone she cares about—and change the future forever.

TJ and I will be reading this in early February, starting from February 2nd.
Everyone, feel free to join us!

message 2: by T.J. (new)

T.J. Burns | 2715 comments Thanks for setting this up, Irena! I hope to start tomorrow.

Irena BookDustMagic | 1420 comments Great news - my copy arrived today, so I plan to start it before bed (that means I'll write some of my thoughts tomorrow, probably). :)

message 4: by T.J. (new)

T.J. Burns | 2715 comments Irena wrote: "Great news - my copy arrived today, so I plan to start it before bed (that means I'll write some of my thoughts tomorrow, probably). :)"

Yay!

message 5: by T.J. (new)

T.J. Burns | 2715 comments Chapter 1 (3%)
I really like the feel of this so far. Colorful and mysterious.

Irena BookDustMagic | 1420 comments Ohh, this book is reallly, really good. I started it yesterday before bed and already read 11 chapters.
I love (view spoiler)

Irena BookDustMagic | 1420 comments Chapter 14 (view spoiler)

Irena BookDustMagic | 1420 comments jI am already at chapter 41. This book is really unputdownable!
(view spoiler)

Irena BookDustMagic | 1420 comments I finished it!!

I really liked it, and I like how it all resolved.
I can't say I predicted what was going on, but can say I was somewhere close to the true.

One thing that's ilogical to me is (view spoiler)

I liked the ending. I hope this will stay standalone, because I like it how it is.

message 10: by Karen (new)

Karen Barber | 9960 comments Have had this sitting on my TBR list for a while-remember thinking it sounded good.

message 11: by T.J. (last edited Feb 06, 2017 05:11AM) (new)

T.J. Burns | 2715 comments Sorry, Irena. Life got in the way of my reading plans... again! But I'm back in the game! I'll comment on your posts as soon as I get there.

Chapter 7 (18%)
I am really enjoying this! It's sooooooo mysterious... and intriguing.
(view spoiler)

message 12: by T.J. (new)

T.J. Burns | 2715 comments Karen wrote: "Have had this sitting on my TBR list for a while-remember thinking it sounded good."

Yay! Join us, Karen!

message 13: by Karen (new)

Karen Barber | 9960 comments Only read first four chapters-like the sense of mystery, but the references make it seem unnecessarily dated.

message 14: by Karen (new)

Karen Barber | 9960 comments Up to ch13-yuk! Have a nasty feeling right now.

message 15: by Karen (new)

Karen Barber | 9960 comments Up to ch26-got some ideas about this, but it's curious. Enjoying it so far, though I'm sensing it'll get creepy.

Irena BookDustMagic | 1420 comments TJ wrote: "Sorry, Irena. Life got in the way of my reading plans... again! But I'm back in the game! I'll comment on your posts as soon as I get there.

Chapter 7 (18%)
I am really enjoying this! It's sooooo..."

That's okay TJ! I know how it can be...

Good catching there about (view spoiler)

message 17: by Karen (new)

Karen Barber | 9960 comments Up to ch39-on iPad so can't read spoilers. Curious to know if we're having the same ideas. Will check later.

message 18: by Karen (new)

Karen Barber | 9960 comments Up to ch44-so, how involved is Gabe in what's going on?

Irena BookDustMagic | 1420 comments Karen, you read super fast!!! I kinda envy you, but in a good way. :)

message 20: by Karen (new)

Karen Barber | 9960 comments This really got me wanting to know what was happening, but I can't help but feel the resolution was a little incredible. I found this really engaging, but there's something about it that didn't quite gel with me and I can't work out what it is.

message 21: by T.J. (last edited Feb 07, 2017 07:31AM) (new)

T.J. Burns | 2715 comments Irena wrote: "Ohh, this book is reallly, really good. I started it yesterday before bed and already read 11 chapters.
I love [spoilers removed]..."

I am really enjoying it so far as well!
(view spoiler)

message 22: by T.J. (new)

T.J. Burns | 2715 comments Karen wrote: "Only read first four chapters-like the sense of mystery, but the references make it seem unnecessarily dated."

I don't mind the time placement -- it explains the lack of technology (and the cassettes and music selection).

message 23: by T.J. (new)

T.J. Burns | 2715 comments Chapter 12 (29%)
(view spoiler)

message 24: by Karen (new)

Karen Barber | 9960 comments TJ wrote: "Chapter 12 (29%)

Oh no. This story has taken a dark turn. I put my money on werewolves or something of that nature. And Gabe is involved -- or Gabe's family. His good eyesight, his secret, and his..."

Definitely shifted into darker territory than I thought we were going to get.

Irena BookDustMagic | 1420 comments TJ wrote: "Chapter 12 (29%)

Oh no. This story has taken a dark turn. I put my money on werewolves or something of that nature. And Gabe is involved -- or Gabe's family. His good eyesight, his secret, and his..."

You really have great perception, I missed that comment about moon when I was reading!

Irena BookDustMagic | 1420 comments TJ wrote: "Irena wrote: "Ohh, this book is reallly, really good. I started it yesterday before bed and already read 11 chapters.
I love [spoilers removed]..."

I am really enjoying it so far as well!
Irena wr..."

Me too, when I was that age, I was worse then book characters. But hey, when you're young...

message 27: by T.J. (last edited Feb 08, 2017 02:44AM) (new)

T.J. Burns | 2715 comments Chapter 16 (37%)
(view spoiler)

message 28: by T.J. (new)

T.J. Burns | 2715 comments Karen wrote: "Up to ch13-yuk! Have a nasty feeling right now."
Yep. Yuk is right. Same feeling here.

message 29: by T.J. (new)

T.J. Burns | 2715 comments Irena wrote: "Chapter 14 [spoilers removed]"
(view spoiler)

message 30: by T.J. (last edited Feb 09, 2017 04:25AM) (new)

T.J. Burns | 2715 comments Chapter 22 (47%)
Very exciting!
(view spoiler)

Irena BookDustMagic | 1420 comments TJ wrote: "Chapter 22 (47%)
Very exciting!

(view spoiler)
"

I can't say anything so I wouldn't spoil you, but yeah, it is interestjng.
Plus yeah, I was wrong about Seth.

message 32: by T.J. (new)

T.J. Burns | 2715 comments Chapter 44 (81%)
Well, those chapters just whooshed on by! I had planned to make more comments -- I made notes on my phone, but the action just pulled me in and wouldn't let me get a breath in!
(view spoiler)

message 33: by T.J. (new)

T.J. Burns | 2715 comments Irena, can you add a link to the book in the title of this buddy read feed? I think it was there before, but Goodreads was making some updates and its no longer there...

Irena BookDustMagic | 1420 comments Hi TJ I will when I get back home later today. I hope I will do it right.

message 35: by T.J. (last edited Feb 11, 2017 03:40AM) (new)

T.J. Burns | 2715 comments Finished!
Very exciting! I liked it a lot!
(view spoiler)
All in all, a very enjoyable, exciting read!