Historical Fictionistas discussion

The Boleyn King (Boleyn Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about The Boleyn King
Group Read Discussions > February 2017: The Boleyn King (No spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2231 comments You can start discussing in this thread. This is a no-spoiler thread. If you have any spoilers please post them here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Robin (ukamerican) | 528 comments I don't think this is a spoiler since it's evident from the start:

Does anyone else think it's odd that two of the main characters (Dominic and Minuette) are fictional, yet weren't born as the results of Anne Boleyn having a surviving son? I get that's it's alternate history, but I guess I thought the only alternate history would Anne having a son and anything that resulted from that, not other, seemingly random people/events.

message 3: by Liz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liz Gibson | 42 comments You could look at it from an alternate perspective - we don't have written history on everyone who existed at this time. Maybe they really did exist (I know they didn't but bear with me here) but would only have been prominent / written down about because of their friendship with Anne and Henry's son.

message 4: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy I have so deeply loved and cherished this series! I have read five out of the six! I thought to finish out the sixth in homage to many of you enjoying the first - but I can't find it at the library. Perhaps it's not yet published? I will be following your threads incredibly closely for the sheer pleasure!

message 5: by Liz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liz Gibson | 42 comments Amy wrote: "I have so deeply loved and cherished this series! I have read five out of the six! I thought to finish out the sixth in homage to many of you enjoying the first - but I can't find it at the library..."

It came out last July!!! I'm with you; I absolutely loved every single book in this series...it was just so hard waiting for them to come out!!

https://smile.amazon.com/Virgins-War-...

Robin (ukamerican) | 528 comments Liz wrote: "You could look at it from an alternate perspective - we don't have written history on everyone who existed at this time. Maybe they really did exist (I know they didn't but bear with me here) but w..."

True, but their parents would have been prominent enough to be recorded. Minuette's mother was Anne's "most trusted friend" who she sent for (what sounds like) long before William was born (before even Elizabeth was born I think). And Dominic's father was supposedly a brother of the real life Marquess of Exeter - he would have been recorded too.

I'm getting over it, I was just a little disappointed because I feel like it takes away a little bit of the plausibility.

message 7: by Liz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liz Gibson | 42 comments Robin wrote: "Liz wrote: "You could look at it from an alternate perspective - we don't have written history on everyone who existed at this time. Maybe they really did exist (I know they didn't but bear with me..."

Fair point! But you'll grow to love them and be ok with it :) But I'll warn you, if you have a problem with that, there's a lot more alternate history in this series that you might feel "takes away...plausibility." :/

Robin (ukamerican) | 528 comments Well, I'm okay with alternate things that would have happened after/as a result of Anne having a surviving son, I just would have thought everything up to that point would have been historical. Anything after that point, I'm good with being fictional.

message 9: by Gretchen, Keep your head up or the crown slips (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gretchen (eab2012) | 591 comments Mod
Amy wrote: "I have so deeply loved and cherished this series! I have read five out of the six! I thought to finish out the sixth in homage to many of you enjoying the first - but I can't find it at the library..."

The sixth book was published last summer. I found it pretty readily available in my local library system in e-book format. It seems like kind of a bummer that your library system would carry the first five and not the last one.

message 10: by A.M. (last edited Feb 08, 2017 02:32PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

A.M. Sommers (httpswwwgoodreadscomasommers) | 2 comments I enjoyed The Boleyn King and had a hard time remembering that baby William didn't survive. It was difficult to put down.

But it seemed like a YA novel because the four main characters were so young -- and yet so wise. It was a teenage
dream reality, with only the four attractive and intelligent friends able to be honest and true.
Only they could save England.

Robin (ukamerican) | 528 comments I agree, it was very young adult-ish. Not that that is a bad thing, but for me personally it meant I was never going to love it. Didn't dislike it, but didn't love it either.

message 12: by Tania (last edited Feb 09, 2017 01:55PM) (new) - added it

Tania | 69 comments Maybe that is why I'm not enjoying it then. I'll carry on for a bit but might have to DNF it. Something I rarely do. Can't love them all.