Historical Fictionistas discussion

The Boleyn King (Boleyn Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about The Boleyn King
Group Read Discussions > February 2017: The Boleyn King (spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2463 comments Mod
Please make sure to mark any spoilers!

Susan (susanconder) | 68 comments I finished the book this weekend. I thought the writing was engaging and easy to read, and the characters were likable.

I didn't feel that the alternate history was that significant. It was just an alternate timeline that these characters existed in, so that William could be king and so that Elizabeth, Dominic, and Minuette could be his friends. There was nothing that significantly changed our own history, no thoughtful re-imagining of the world. We didn't really get to know the Anne who lived, nor did we get a deep sense of her relationship with Elizabeth. I would love to have seen more about how Elizabeth would have changed under the influence of her mother. We get glimpses of this but not to any depth.

So there's my main criticism - there was no depth to the novel. It was fun and light and romantic, but I was hoping for more. You can easily do fun, light, and romantic without changing the timeline.

Robin (ukamerican) | 548 comments I agree, it wasn't a bad read, but I felt like it could have been much more than it was.

Sarah | 53 comments Just finished the book and overall I felt that it read very much like a young adult novel. Towards the end of it I found myself skimming it and knew that I wouldn't miss anything. Overall if one was to take out the fact that Anne Boleyn was in the story as well as some other historical figures, I think this novel could pass as a fictionalized group of friends living within a royal court and finding themselves in a love triangle. I did however enjoy it and found it very easy as well as entertaining to read.

message 5: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (last edited Feb 13, 2017 08:24PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 409 comments I thought this book was a missed opportunity. (view spoiler)

message 6: by Gretchen, Keep your head up or the crown slips (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gretchen (eab2012) | 564 comments Mod
If you were disappointed with the lack of alternate history in the first novel, I would avoid the next five.

It was such a promising premise with such disappointing results.

Rebecca | 8 comments Ahhh, Gretchen! Haha, I was hoping that as I keep going, there will be more alternate history/some kind of big difference that will change the world.

I've just finished the third book, so this is a spoiler for anyone who's intending to go further: (view spoiler).
I agree with those saying the book has a YA feel, but that's partly why I'll keep reading. It's quick, easy, and not horrible, so I'll enjoy it if I take it for what it is instead of dwelling on what it could've been. My biggest disappointment was the lack of (substantial) Anne, and the comparison to Philippa Gregory books.

Lindsey | 295 comments I read this awhile ago but I remember that Minuette was so irritatingly sweet and I really did not care for the way Elizabeth was portrayed. She just didn't seem to have the backbone or the spark that made her such a wonderful ruler in the real timeline.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2967 comments I am about 4 chapters in and aside from the main characters, the book is dull. I am trying to decide if I want to even finishing it.