Obsessed with True Crime discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > February's Challenge ~ Deadly Love

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Lady ♥ Belleza (bella_foxx) | 3326 comments Mod
Suggestion from Koren

Since Valentine's Day is in February, read about about someone who killed their S.O.

I'm not talking casual relationship or friendship or familial murder. But a couple that had been together for years, and at one time they loved each other, or one had loved the other. It can be husband killing wife, wife killing husband or ex-spouse. Long-term same sex partner etc.

Since there are so many cases like this this challenge will run just for February. Hopefully you will be able to find something.

And GO!

message 2: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11538 comments Because nothing says Valentine's Day like homicide!

message 3: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 123 comments My favorite kind of romance read!

message 4: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 1225 comments Agreed!

message 5: by Rita (new)

Rita (crimesleuthjunkie) | 1078 comments Stacey wrote: "My favorite kind of romance read!"

A big favourite of mine too!

message 6: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 123 comments I'm going to read She Wanted It All oh, happy, happy Valentine's Day <3

message 7: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11538 comments The one I really wanted to read, Mary Bell, was out of my price range so I'm sending for Too Pretty To Live: The Catfishing Murders of East Tennessee.

message 9: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 1225 comments

message 10: by Rita (new)

Rita (crimesleuthjunkie) | 1078 comments Shelley wrote: ""

HA HA................! I love it Shelley.

message 11: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11538 comments I got worried about how long it would take the seller to mail that above book to me, so I checked one out from the library about the absolute king of the romantic belly-flop: Step into My Parlor: The Chilling Story of Serial Killer Jeffrey Dahmer.

You know it's not working out when they wheel your last blind date out in a trash barrel...

message 12: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (last edited Feb 03, 2017 01:56PM) (new)

That's even worse than my worst date.

message 13: by Hari (new)

Hari Brandl (crochetbuddies) | 535 comments I've put in a library request for "Righteous Carnage" by Timothy Benford, for a good dose of murder of loved-ones bathed in religious fanaticism. More or less a perfect storm, don't you think?

message 14: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11538 comments Definitely, Hari!

message 15: by Shelley (last edited Feb 06, 2017 03:39PM) (new)

Shelley | 1225 comments I finished Shake the Devil Off: A True Story of the Murder that Rocked New Orleans by Ethan Brown
4 Stars

This was very well written and a good read. However, I wonder if it would appeal to 'true' true crime readers as it covers a lot about the Iraq war and Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans; the politics of it all. It does cover the crime, of course, and it is a pretty gruesome and surprising one at that. There is no doubt that the lack of support for vets with PTSD is a terrible thing and, as in this case, can have devastating consequences when untreated. The author doesn't have a lot of good things to say about the support the federal government gave New Orleans after Katrina or about law enforcement in that city. I will have to google to see if it's gotten any better. I would love to go there someday but right now I don't think that's a good idea.

And, yes, they were very much in love before things went "very much wrong".

EDIT: The violent crime is still very high in New Orleans. It has the 4th highest rate in the US behind St. Louis, Baltimore and Detroit.

message 17: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 1225 comments Are these ones you have read? Recommend? Or ones that look interesting for you to read?

message 19: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11538 comments There are also many titles on this group's bookshelf under the heading "Happy Families." One that struck me as very appropriate when I was scanning the list just now was What Lisa Knew: The Truth and Lies of the Steinberg Case. Guh.

message 20: by Jess (new)

Jess (jessicaclarence) | 3 comments Last year, I read Ann Rule's Last Dance, Last Chance and Other True Cases...the title story is the longest and the best. Definitely a case of a man completely blindsiding and plotting against his adoring wife.

message 22: by Shelley (last edited Feb 12, 2017 09:50AM) (new)

Shelley | 1225 comments Finished Dancing with Death: The True Story of a Glamorous Showgirl, her Wealthy Husband, and a Horrifying Murder by Shanna Hogan
4 Stars

Well written and an enjoyable read. In many ways this is your typical case of one spouse doing in the other but there was enough interesting parts to make it a good book. I would definitely read something by this author again.

message 23: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 1352 comments Shelley wrote: "Finished Dancing with Death: The True Story of a Glamorous Showgirl, her Wealthy Husband, and a Horrifying Murder by Shanna Hogan
4 Stars

Well written and an enjoy..."

Shanna Hogan is one of my favorite authors.

message 24: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 1352 comments A Checklist for Murder by Anthony Flacco
5 stars and a heart

I know I said I was getting tired of the same ol', same ol' when it comes to the husband and/or wife kills spouse True Crime book, but this book was different. First of all, the murderer tried to kill his wife and his daughter. One of them survives to implicate him. The killer is bizarre, beyond bizarre. His courtroom antics keep you interested and wanting to keep reading to see what else he can come up with. The survivor is so loveable, you keep reading in the hopes that everything turns out all right with her. This author could give lessons on how to write a True Crime book. He doesn't get bogged down in small details. He doesn't give word for word testimony. He does a great follow-up at the end of the book, getting into the minds of the characters. You also come to know and love the detective and the two prosecutors and how they went above and beyond to help the survivor and put this killer where he belongs. The author also wrote The Road Out of Hell: Sanford Clark and the True Story of the Wineville Murders, another five star book for me. He is rapidly becoming one of my favorite True Crime writers.

message 27: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Just to remind everyone, this is to read a book about people killing their significant other.

I was saving familial murder for next month's challenge.

Not saying you can't read one this month, just that you'll then have to find another family murder to read about next month.

However, if that's your jam, go for it.

message 28: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 123 comments My TBR list is blowing up! Thanks, fishface....I think.

message 30: by Hari (new)

Hari Brandl (crochetbuddies) | 535 comments Lady♥Belleza★✰ wrote: "Just to remind everyone, this is to read a book about people killing their significant other.

I was saving familial murder for next month's challenge.

Not saying you can't read one this month, ju..."

So murder of a significant other and familial murder are totally different?

message 31: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 123 comments I feel that a SO isn't a blood relation like children, parents, etc.

message 32: by Shelley (last edited Feb 14, 2017 04:35PM) (new)

Shelley | 1225 comments

We missed our chance. Only offered in 2014.
http://trib.com/calendar/community/st...

message 33: by Shelley (last edited Feb 14, 2017 04:58PM) (new)

Shelley | 1225 comments Finished Bloody Valentine: Scotland's Crimes of Passion by Douglas Skelton
4 Stars

I am giving this a 4 because it's well written and the cases were interesting but I have decided I am not keen on anthologies when it comes to true crime. The book covers mostly older crimes in Scotland. There is a dash of humor which was fun. I just had to read it because of the title. :)

message 34: by Hari (new)

Hari Brandl (crochetbuddies) | 535 comments Stacey wrote: "I feel that a SO isn't a blood relation like children, parents, etc."
OK, I can see that.

message 35: by Fishface (last edited Feb 15, 2017 08:15AM) (new)

Fishface | 11538 comments Hari wrote: "So murder of a significant other and familial murder are totally different?"

Most of the "murderscenti" define familicide as offing your whole family. Very often the killer is one of the children, and I sincerely hope that child wasn't in a romantic relationship with one of the parents, although sometimes that's the reason -- think of Cheryl Pierson (A Deadly Silence: The Ordeal of Cheryl Pierson: A Case of Incest and Murder). But John List would be kind of a borderline case to me -- her certainly killed his wife along with everyone else. But I'm not clear whether it was mostly directed at her or whether he was just erasing his whole life and starting over.

And then what about Chuck Riley and Marlene Olive, or Patty Columbo and whatsisname, or Fisher and Buttafuoco, Starkweather and Fugate? Deadly love indeed, but none of them involved one partner killing the other. Maybe we can cover those next year...

message 36: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

I'm sorry I was not clear. I was referring to killing's ones boyfriend, girlfriend, spouse etc. In other words, someone the person chose or professed to love at one time, not parents or children etc., although sometimes these are killed also, sort of 'collateral damage'.

message 37: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11538 comments Well, I'm quite disappointed in Too Pretty To Live: The Catfishing Murders of East Tennessee, which I thought was a partner-on-partner crime but which proves to be nothing of the sort. Luckily for me, my copy of Murder in Grosse Pointe Park: Privilege, Adultery, and the Killing of Jane Bashara arrived in the mail today -- and that is definitely partner-on-partner stuff.

message 38: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 1352 comments Fishface wrote: "Well, I'm quite disappointed in Too Pretty To Live: The Catfishing Murders of East Tennessee, which I thought was a partner-on-partner crime but which proves to be nothing of the so..."

The Catfishing book seems to be a good book, though. I got it free with Amazon Prime this month. I'm about a quarter of the way through it so far.

message 39: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 1352 comments A Dangerous Liaison: One Woman's Journey into a World of Aristocracy, Depravity,and Obsession by Baroness Sheri de Borchgrave
1 star

I started this thinking it was a 'love gone wrong' book to read for the challenge so I am going to post my review here:

On the surface this looks like a True Crime book, but really its not. At times it reads more like erotica. There is some pretty graphic stuff here. There isn't really any crime committed here. The husband is pretty basically a jerk, but otherwise he didn't really commit a crime. I wish the book didn't start at the end. I might have liked it better if there was some suspense. We learn right away in the first pages how the story ends.

So, basically what happens is that this American girl is caught up in a romance with a baron from Belgium and they marry. Before the honeymoon is even over he becomes an overbearing jackass.
I'm glad she didn't get the plastic surgery that he insisted she should have. This book is mostly about her. I would have liked to have explored if the way he and his family acted was part of his culture or if that is really the way nobility in Belgium behave.

message 40: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11538 comments Koren wrote: "Fishface wrote: "Well, I'm quite disappointed in Too Pretty To Live: The Catfishing Murders of East Tennessee, which I thought was a partner-on-partner crime but which proves to be ..."

I gave it three stars overall, but for our Valentine's Day Homicide Challenge it was totally inappropriate.

message 41: by Rita (new)

Rita (crimesleuthjunkie) | 1078 comments Hari wrote: "I've put in a library request for "Righteous Carnage" by Timothy Benford, for a good dose of murder of loved-ones bathed in religious fanaticism. More or less a perfect storm, don't you think?"

Hari, I loved this book and it is one of my top favourites. I would like to know what your thoughts are on this case.

message 42: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 1352 comments Deadly Seduction by Wensley Clarkson
4 stars

The story of a woman marrying a man for his prestige and money has been done so many times. This one is written better than most. First of all, this gal is doing something all the time so you want to keep on reading just to see what she is going to do next. Some of what she does is hard to read. What she did to her step-son is very hard to read and comprehend. Your heart just goes out to this boy. This book was well-written because it is not repetitive and the court room drama is very nicely condensed. Interesting from beginning to end.

message 43: by Hari (new)

Hari Brandl (crochetbuddies) | 535 comments Rita wrote: "Hari wrote: "I've put in a library request for "Righteous Carnage" by Timothy Benford, for a good dose of murder of loved-ones bathed in religious fanaticism. More or less a perfect storm, don't yo..."

I really liked the way this book was written. Until I read it I only knew the bare facts of the murders of John List's family. Now I know much more about Mr List's tribulations with his wife and his mother. His life was not easy. This, of course, doesn't absolve him of his crimes: he could have found a way to rid himself of his wife without mortally involving his children. But, for whatever this is worth, it humanizes List, and makes for good true crime reading.

Rita, have you read anything else by Timothy Beneford?

message 44: by Rita (new)

Rita (crimesleuthjunkie) | 1078 comments Hari wrote: "Rita wrote: "Hari wrote: "I've put in a library request for "Righteous Carnage" by Timothy Benford, for a good dose of murder of loved-ones bathed in religious fanaticism. More or less a perfect st..."

No I haven't but I would love to Hari. Any suggestions?

message 45: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11538 comments Koren wrote: "Deadly Seduction by Wensley Clarkson
4 stars

The story of a woman marrying a man for his prestige and money has been done so many times. This one is written better than most. First ..."

I think that one is a cut above for Wensley Clarkson, too. I am generally not a huge fan of his books but that was an exceptional one.

message 46: by Hari (new)

Hari Brandl (crochetbuddies) | 535 comments Rita wrote: "Hari wrote: "Rita wrote: "Hari wrote: "I've put in a library request for "Righteous Carnage" by Timothy Benford, for a good dose of murder of loved-ones bathed in religious fanaticism. More or less..."

I haven't read this author any further, but I plan to and will be glad to give you my opinion, Rita.

message 47: by Rita (new)

Rita (crimesleuthjunkie) | 1078 comments Hari wrote: "Rita wrote: "Hari wrote: "Rita wrote: "Hari wrote: "I've put in a library request for "Righteous Carnage" by Timothy Benford, for a good dose of murder of loved-ones bathed in religious fanaticism...."

Thanks so much Hari!

message 48: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11538 comments Murder in Grosse Pointe Park: Privilege, Adultery, and the Killing of Jane Bashara, Steve Miller
3 stars

This is Steve Miller's treatment of the killing of Jane Bashara. While it was very interesting and full of information new to me -- like the impressive level of police bungling -- there were also some frustrating gaps. For possibly the first time in my true-crime reading, I found far too much summary of what was going on in the trial and not nearly enough detail on what the jury was hearing. Miller mentioned that the medical examiner's testimony was "gruesome" but said nothing more, keeping the reader from knowing whether the victim's injuries matched up to any of the conflicting versions of what happened to her. There were also some very large gaps in my understanding of why taking out a contract on Jane Bashara ever seemed like a good idea to her husband in the first place. I was also irritated by the need for a good text editor -- the story was full of awkward constructions, mangled metaphors and subject-verb disagreement. With all that said, I found this one hard to put down. The author kept mentioning names and places I have known for years. To think that the Wooden Nickel on Mack Avenue was run for years by the defendant in this case..!

message 49: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 1225 comments Started A Checklist for Murder by Anthony Flacco. Excellent so far.

I doubt I will get it finished before the end of February though. Where's a leap year when you need one. :)

message 50: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 1352 comments Fishface wrote: "Murder in Grosse Pointe Park: Privilege, Adultery, and the Killing of Jane Bashara, Steve Miller
3 stars

This is Steve Miller's treatment of the killing of Jane Bashara. While it ..."

Seems like the authors need to find a happy medium between too much information and not enough.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.