Flights of Fantasy discussion

Ghost Road Blues (Pine Deep, #1)
This topic is about Ghost Road Blues
Archived Group Reads > February 2017: Horror - Ghost Road Blues by Jonathan Maberry

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (last edited Feb 01, 2017 08:26AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Our horror pick for February 2017.

Mark all spoilers or release the wrath of the mods!

Felina | 821 comments Woot! I am audioing this one and really enjoying it. It's read very similarly to King books, IMO.

message 3: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 2 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments I've started this, but I"m not very far in.

One line jumped out at me, fairly early in. I don't have the exact line on me at the moment, but it's something about how the guy is always surprised at how much more redneck people in Pennsylvania are than people in the South.

I think it jumped out at me for two reasons:

1) I live in PA, and I didn't know this book was set in PA when I first started reading it
2) Hubs, who is from Kentucky, has commented to me about how surprised he was - and sometimes still is - about how, like, racist and backwards people in PA can be.

Like, growing up he thought racism was a Southern thing, and that the people in the North, and especially in the cities, were past that. That it was a backwater thing that was somehow relegated to the hills of the South.

And when he came to PA he was fairly shocked to find that the attitudes were no better and, in some instances, he thinks, even worse.

I read him this line and he said that he doesn't agree that people in PA are bigger rednecks than some people in the South... but we certainly hold out own (in the worst way possible).

Go us... < /s>

Felina | 821 comments Racism is a an undercurrent. It's everywhere and it's shocking to me the places I find it. I was naive and thought there were only pockets but it's like a plague. It's 2017 for Christ's sake. Grow up!

message 5: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 2 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments So... I've been reading this one. A little more than 25% in.

I can see the King comparison, but I kinda feel like he mimics King's style, complete with sub-chapter breakdowns... but he's lacking King's panache and way with words.

The opening was good, but right now it's pretty sloggy. I think it'll head into an interesting place, but I feel like it might take a bit overlong to get there...

Felina | 821 comments You're not wrong. There's definitely a lot of set up. And he's putting pieces into place. But I like the characters and while I do think it's a bit of a copied King it isn't too bad of a copy. I'm about 80% in the audio with this one. Once it starts moving it is quite interesting.

message 7: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 2 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments God damn, mother fucking, cliffhangery piss of shit of an ending!

FUCK!

Felina | 821 comments Crap. Seriously? I'm almost done.

message 9: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 2 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Not a cliffhanger, per se, but definitely not a complete story. Grrr.

I was really enjoying it until that.

Felina | 821 comments Is the next book available?

Felina | 821 comments Oh god it's a trilogy.

message 12: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 2 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Yeah. It's a trilogy with all books out. From what i gather from the reviews, it's more one book broken into 3.

But, like, it was just getting good and then over. Pet the reviews, the next book is the same.

message 13: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 2 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Did you finish it?

Felina | 821 comments Almost. I've been carpooling so I can't freely listen to my audiobook. I think I can finish it tonight while I do some crafting.

Felina | 821 comments Finished. I really enjoyed this story. I'm going to get the second book on Audible.

message 16: by Chris , cookie guilt (new) - added it

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments How is the audiobook?

message 17: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 2 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Felina wrote: "Finished. I really enjoyed this story. I'm going to get the second book on Audible."

More power to you.

I do wonder, a bit...

You had mentioned about the King similarities, and I agree... and while I like King well enough, you're certainly a bigger fan than I am. I wonder if it's just not my bailiwick.

Felina | 821 comments Chris, I very much enjoyed the audiobook.

Colleen, perhaps. Kings writing feels like home to me and this story wasn't too far off that mark. Not as good as King but we'll see how the trilogy plays out. This felt like The Stand to me and King doesn't shy away from fatty books. If he had split up The Stand into a trilogy the first book wouldn't have been as epic as the whole. I think this story has potential.

message 19: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 2 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments I think I gave The Stand 2 stars...

Felina | 821 comments Yikes Colleen. Do you even like King?

message 21: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 2 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Um...

Sometimes?

(I checked, and I actually gave The Stand 3 stars. The Shining was 2.)

I like Dark Tower.

My favorite thing by him is actually a TV mini-series which he adapted from another series...

And I liked Mr. Mercedes.

But what I've read of his horror books often seems to sort of fall flat for me.

Felina | 821 comments I didn't like The Shining as much as everybody else either. It remains my least favorite of what I've read so far...except Rose Madder.

message 23: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 2 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Doctor Sleep was better.