IGGPPC : Iggle BookWorms discussion

Book Discussions > February 2017 Book of the Month- Carve the Mark

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michelletheresa) | 228 comments Hello Iggles!
Because this is a short month I thought I'd just pick the book to read to save some time! I decided on Carve the Mark by Veronica Roth.

Here is the synopsis:

On a planet where violence and vengeance rule, in a galaxy where some are favored by fate, everyone develops a currentgift, a unique power meant to shape the future. While most benefit from their currentgifts, Akos and Cyra do not—their gifts make them vulnerable to others’ control. Can they reclaim their gifts, their fates, and their lives, and reset the balance of power in this world?

Cyra is the sister of the brutal tyrant who rules the Shotet people. Cyra’s currentgift gives her pain and power—something her brother exploits, using her to torture his enemies. But Cyra is much more than just a blade in her brother’s hand: she is resilient, quick on her feet, and smarter than he knows.

Akos is from the peace-loving nation of Thuvhe, and his loyalty to his family is limitless. Though protected by his unusual currentgift, once Akos and his brother are captured by enemy Shotet soldiers, Akos is desperate to get his brother out alive—no matter what the cost. When Akos is thrust into Cyra’s world, the enmity between their countries and families seems insurmountable. They must decide to help each other to survive—or to destroy one another.

Fans of Star Wars and Divergent will revel in internationally bestselling author Veronica Roth’s stunning new science-fiction fantasy series.

Happy reading and leave your comments and questions below!
Michelle

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (unicornprincez4) | 12 comments I really liked the Divergent series, so I'm excited to read another book by Veronica Roth. Good pick! <3

Kendall • thegeekyyogi (thegeekyyogi) | 74 comments I'm curious about this book, I wasn't actually going to rush to read it because I was disappointed with how the Divergent series turned out. I've also heard about a lot of controversy around this book so I'm interested to see what that's all about.

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (unicornprincez4) | 12 comments Kendall wrote: "I'm curious about this book, I wasn't actually going to rush to read it because I was disappointed with how the Divergent series turned out. I've also heard about a lot of controversy around this b..."

There's controversy around this book? (I feel so out of it...)

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michelletheresa) | 228 comments I actually found out about the controversy yesterday when I was adding it to the group. Should be interesting to read and see what everyone thinks!

Kendall • thegeekyyogi (thegeekyyogi) | 74 comments Yes, from what I understand a lot of people are calling it racist, something to do with a quote about "dark skinned savages" and possibly more then that.
Saba Tahir wrote up a long letter in its defense so I guess we'll see. I'll be interested to read everyone's thoughts as well.

message 7: by Jemma (new)

Jemma (jemmaj) | 53 comments Oooh I wonder if I can read it as slow at My Lady Jane...

message 8: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (arcanegumption) | 134 comments Tomorrow is a new month and this book was so popular at the library I'm still waiting for my copy. It will go into my TBR pile.