CPL's Book Quest: The Challenge discussion

2017 Mini-Challenges > February's Literary Road Trip: CT, VT, NY

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanna (new)

Joanna | 709 comments Mod
This month, we finish our trip through New England and move along to that most cosmopolitan of places- New York. Well, New York City, but I think we should try to visit the whole state. Wouldn’t you agree?

Connecticut

Connecticut has a history that is prehistoric! Dinosaur tracks were discovered there in 1966, one of the largest tracks in North America, and are believed to have been made by Dilophosaurus, a predatory dinosaur made famous in Jurassic Park. The state fossil is Eubrontes which is only known by its footprints! Connecticut was once covered in glaciers with the last one melting only 15,000 years ago. In more modern times, the first helicopter (1939) and color tv (1948) were built there. And it too lays claim to the oldest public library in the country- built in Salisbury in 1777. Visit Connecticut with these reads:

The Stepford Wives
The Ice Storm by Ricky Moody
Books Set in Connecticut
Great Book Set In Connecticut
Novels Set In Connecticut

Vermont

Welcome to Vermont- home of maple syrup! Vermont is the largest producer of maple syrup in the United States. They produce over 500,000 gallons a year. In addition, famous ice cream company Ben and Jerry’s got their start in Burlington in 1978. The state pie is apple pie! There’s even an act designating that when apple pie is served in the state, a good faith effort will be made to serve it with: a glass of milk, a slice of cheddar cheese, and/or with a large scoop of vanilla ice cream (don’t believe me? Read the act here). Vermont was the first state, after the original 13 colonies, to be admitted into the union. The year was 1791. Enjoy a taste of Vermont with these books:

Pollyanna
Midwives
Books Set In Vermont
Novels Set In Vermont
Vermont

New York

New York is more than New York City. At over 54,000 square miles, New York encompasses forests, wetlands, and agricultural lands. Broken into seven eco-regions, New York boasts everything from plains to plateaus to mountains to grasslands to coastal ponds to salt marshes. Think pigeons and squirrels are all you’ll see when you stop by? Think again. New York is home to red fox, bats, black bears, beavers, river otters, lynx, bobcat, bald eagles, osprey, and various other kinds of wildlife. Visit this state that’s more than city with these books:

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
Motherless Brooklyn
Book Set In New York State
New York
Novels Set In New York
Books about New York

Happy Traveling!

message 2: by Kayzee (new)

Kayzee | 63 comments Currently reading Pork Pie Hat by Peter Straub set in NY so this will the first month I can complete a road trip challenge (as long as I actually finish)
Pork Pie Hat

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (ann-fracturedfiction) | 451 comments All of the J.D. Robb mysteries are set in a future New York City, and I finished Echoes in Death last week, which means I finished my first road trip challenge. :)
Echoes in Death (In Death, #44) by J.D. Robb

message 4: by Kayzee (new)

Kayzee | 63 comments Kayzee wrote: "Currently reading Pork Pie Hat by Peter Straub set in NY so this will the first month I can complete a road trip challenge (as long as I actually finish)
Pork Pie Hat"

Actually finished so I think this can technically count as part of the road trip (though the novel also takes place in Mississippi and Illinois)