Children's Books discussion

The Picture-Book Club > March 2017: Humor (Master List and General Discussion)

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (last edited Feb 19, 2017 05:42PM) (new)

Kathryn | 5528 comments Mod
Let's enjoy some levity this March when we will explore humorous picture books. Please vote for the six books you would most like to read with the group. Please choose from the official nominations in messages 2-26 and post your six choices in a comment below. Ideally, selections will include at least a few picture books for the youngest picture book crowd as well as a few that might be of interest to the upper levels of the picture book audience.

***Voting extended through February 20th. Thank you! :-)

message 2: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 312 comments Great genre! What immediately comes to my mind is:
The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by Jon Scieszka

message 3: by JanEyre9 (new)

JanEyre9 I want to nominate The Book with No Picture but, as the title suggests, it has no pictures so isn't technically a picture book. But it is quite funny.

message 4: by Cheryl, Newbery Club host (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 6147 comments Mod
Margie Palatini's books almost always make me lol, especially Bad Boys (and its sequels).

I also adore Chester and the other meta books by Mélanie Watt.

I'll come up with more soon. I love humorous picture-books and will def. need to giggle come March.

Of course any of Mo Willems Elephant & Piggie books would fit, but they're so well known I'm just adding them to the master list and am *not* nominating them.

message 5: by Leah (new)

Leah (book_reader73) | 3 comments I would love to nominate The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales. One of the most hilarious books I have read. Jon Scieszka takes traditional fables and puts hilarious spins on them.

message 6: by Cheryl, Newbery Club host (new)

Stinky Cheese Man is hilarious; I agree. The Caldecott committee thought it was so good they gave it an award... which means we've already (recently) discussed it in this folder. I hope we stick to books that are new to the group discussions. :)

message 7: by Cheryl, Newbery Club host (new)

Another one for the master list, in case anyone hasn't read it yet, is The Monster at the End of this Book (but again, I'm *not* nominating it, as I'm sure it's not new to very many of us).

I do nominate:
I Love You Already!
Ernest, the Moose Who Doesn't Fit
The Cowboy and the Black-Eyed Pea
Battle Bunny
Maude: The Not-So-Noticeable Shrimpton
A Is for Musk Ox
Cheetah Can't Lose.

(Please let me know if we've already discussed any of these, or if they're overwhelmingly familiar to group members!)

message 10: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 722 comments Probably well known but The Day the Crayons Quit. And The Day the Crayons Came Home.

It's an Orange Aardvark!
Little Penguin Gets the Hiccups

And I am really excited for this topic!!!

message 11: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

As a kid, I loved Wacky Wednesday.

If you like wordplay, The King Who Rained is fun.

Gosh, I'm having a hard time adding anything to the list (I see a few I would recommend nominated already). Im excited to see what list we all put together and I'm really excited about this topic, too!

message 12: by SamZ (new)

message 13: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Oh!!! And Here Comes the Easter Cat!!! So funny. (I also just read and loved Here Comes Valentine Cat though that will be a bit passé come March.)

message 14: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenIsNotaBookSnob) (jenisnotabooksnob) | 170 comments I really liked
Mother Bruce

message 15: by Lauren (last edited Feb 03, 2017 07:16AM) (new)

Lauren Pierre | 22 comments Humor you say? Might I suggest the Froggy books by Jonathan London ?

Froggy Goes to School
Froggy Goes to the Doctor

These books were always a read-aloud favorite when I was younger.

message 16: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

These nominations all look like so much fun! Thanks, all, and keep them coming! :-) Incidentally, I'm so happy to see several of our newer members coming in with nominations. The more the merrier! Great to have you aboard.

message 18: by Lauren (last edited Feb 08, 2017 09:24AM) (new)

Lauren Pierre | 22 comments Lauren wrote: "Humor you say? Might I suggest the Froggy books by Jonathan London ?

Froggy Goes to School
Froggy Goes to the Doctor

These books were always a read-alo..."

Another pair of books I had forgotten about were the ones by Arnold Lobel ! :)

Frog and Toad Are Friends
Frog and Toad Together
Mouse Soup
Mouse Tales

Love these more than the Froggy books! The audio versions (done by the author) were incredible... and funny!! :D

message 19: by Cheryl, Newbery Club host (new)

Pancakes for Findus
When Findus was Little and Disappeared
Pettson Goes Camping
Festus & Mercury Wishing to Go Fishing
and others by Sven Nordqvist are wonderful.

But I'm adding them for the sake of the master list only; they're unfortunately too difficult to find in libraries in the US.

message 20: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenIsNotaBookSnob) (jenisnotabooksnob) | 170 comments Cheryl wrote: "Pancakes for Findus
When Findus was Little and Disappeared
Pettson Goes Camping
Festus & Mercury Wishing to Go Fishing
and others by [auth..."

Pancakes for Findus was republished in the US in 2015 as "The Birthday Cake". The ISBN is 9780735842038. When I search on OCLC for libraries that have it, there are 770 library systems which own a copy of that one.

The rest of them are still pretty obscure though. I had "Pancakes for Findus" on a 'to buy' list for quite awhile and then was startled to see the same cover come across my desk here at work with a different title. :)

May still not be common enough to include, but, at least that one has been lifted out of nearly total obscurity.

message 21: by Cheryl, Newbery Club host (new)

Good news, thank you!

There's also this Listopia list that has some interesting selections, for the master list: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

message 22: by Cheryl, Newbery Club host (new)

Here's an actual nomination: Once Upon a Cool Motorcycle Dude. Better for schoolchildren than tots.

message 23: by Cheryl, Newbery Club host (last edited Feb 08, 2017 09:49AM) (new)

Some of my other favorites (culled from my Read books at librarything) have been:

Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge (more of a subtle, gentle humor; not exactly 'funny')
Harriet, You'll Drive Me Wild! (similarly, a tender humor not lol)
Cinder Edna (no frilly princess wanna-be here!)

Irving and Muktuk: Two Bad Bears and Bongo Larry and anything by Daniel Pinkwater - truly lol funny

Comic Adventures of Boots (schoolchildren)
Armadilly Chili Little Red Hen with a friendly twist.

Guess Again! If you've not read this yet, you must. But take your time with it, concentrate & focus, don't spoil the experience by just flipping through it.

(These are actual nominations; I'd love to read them again if they're chosen.)

message 24: by Anne (new)

Anne Nydam | 124 comments Falling for Rapunzel
How Do Dinosaurs Say Good Night?
If You Give a Mouse a Cookie
The last two especially may be too well known already to be interesting, but famous for a reason.

message 25: by Cheryl, Newbery Club host (last edited Feb 09, 2017 09:23AM) (new)

Some of the funniest books are the interactive and meta. I've 'read' Press Here, Hervé Tullet, lots, and it gets to me every single time. Imo, it's the standard to which the others are compared.

message 26: by Cheryl, Newbery Club host (new)

Jan Thomas also writes popular funny books, including the beloved Rhyming Dust Bunnies.

message 27: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Thanks to all for the great nominations! Now we have the hard choice of selecting just six of these nominations for our official club reads. Please vote for the six books you would most like to read with the group. Please choose from the official nominations in messages 2-26 and post your six choices in a comment below. Ideally, selections will include at least a few picture books for the youngest picture book crowd as well as a few that might be of interest to the upper levels of the picture book audience. Votes will be accepted until February 18th. Thank you!

message 29: by Lauren (last edited Feb 14, 2017 10:38AM) (new)

Lauren Pierre | 22 comments Okay, so here are my votes!

The Book with No Pictures
Frog and Toad Are Friends
If You Give a Mouse a Cookie (*I should have nominated, "If You Give a Pig a Pancake" but I had forgotten I read that one too ...)
Froggy Goes to School
Mouse Soup
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!
Cinder Edna

message 30: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 6808 comments Mod
Considering that only two people have voted so far, maybe it would be better to keep the voting period open for a few more days.

Also, since this has been increasingly an issue for the non Caldecott months, maybe a group message posting about the "voting period" being open is as necessary and perhaps even more so than the group message to members when the poll for the themes is open.

message 31: by Cheryl, Newbery Club host (new)

Hmm...
Well, I'm not voting because I'm glad to read anything that gets chosen. Most titles do seem to be available at my libraries.

message 32: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 722 comments Oh shoot..this week was extremely busy for me. I'll post my votes now, but if I am too late, I understand. Sorry! I am excited for this topic.

Armadilly Chili
Guess Again
Cinder Edna
The Wonky Donkey
Dragons Love Tacos

message 33: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (last edited Feb 19, 2017 05:42PM) (new)

Manybooks wrote: "Also, since this has been increasingly an issue for the non Caldecott months, maybe a group message posting about the "voting period" being open is as necessary and perhaps even more so than the group message to members when the poll for the themes is open."

I do occasionally send out messages to alert about voting periods for the theme and it doesn't generate much greater response. At best it would generate more members interested in participating in the club--which is a good thing! But then I sometimes feel those messages (in the past) tended to pull in a few folks who aren't really invested in the club and just vote because it came into their inbox--not sure if that's a fair assessment but it does seem to happen sometimes. If anyone has joined the club because of these messages in the past, and just likes being a "fly on the wall" reading along but not commenting, that's no problem but please let me know! I love welcoming new members to the club it's and like to know that the folks really are interested and not just voting one time because a message popped up in their in-box and it seemed like something to do in the moment but never participate in our reads. I guess I just prefer that, even if we have fewer votes, they are from truly interested members who plan to read along with us. I kinda figured that folks really interested would read the threads and see the nominations/voting updates? We had many nominations this month and all those folks should be "tagged" to receive the message that it's time to vote so perhaps they just feel as Cheryl does and will be happy reading whatever is chosen. I hope that's the case :-)

And, yes, Jenny, I will accept your votes. :-)

If anyone else missed voting earlier I will go ahead and extend the voting period through tomorrow. It's a holiday weekend here in the US so maybe some of you are out of town or busy. I'll also sticky post this so it will be listed first.

message 34: by Beverly, Miscellaneous Club host (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 2220 comments Mod
I never saw the first post inviting us to list nominations. And I have been on goodreads and posting in the picture book club (February's thread) several times the past couple of weeks, but I still never saw this thread in the 5 that pop up on the main screen. And I don't normally go beyond the main screen. Fortunately, I saw this today so that I can vote!

I Love you already
Battle Bunny
Mother Bruce
Once Upon a cool motorcycle dude
falling for Rapunzel
Rhyming dust bunnies

message 35: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenIsNotaBookSnob) (jenisnotabooksnob) | 170 comments Oops, forgot about the voting part!

Mother Bruce
Falling for Rapunzel
Battle Bunny
Cinder Edna
Pancakes for Findus

I've already read a few of those, but liked them enough to like reading them again. :)

message 36: by Cheryl, Newbery Club host (new)

Beverly, thank you for the information. We'll have to consider maybe putting this thread higher up or something.....

message 37: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (last edited Feb 21, 2017 06:33PM) (new)

Beverly wrote: "I never saw the first post inviting us to list nominations. And I have been on goodreads and posting in the picture book club (February's thread) several times the past couple of weeks, but I still..."

Thanks for mentioning this, Beverly. I'm sorry you missed the thread and I imagine that may be a problem for other members, too. I believe we were simply suffering from "too much of a good thing" as we had four threads tagged as permanent threads (such as group business) and that left only one more space for a monthly thread which is taken up by the current month and thus doesn't show the nominations/voting thread. Even if new discussions appear on the group update emails I can imagine that it's easy to forget or miss that when it doesn't appear on the home page. I noticed this in the past and wasn't sure what thread to "demote" but I talked it over with Cheryl and decided that the "Themes" thread will no longer be one of our "mark this thread as important" top-five threads. We don't get much participation on that thread anymore and I will simply call members' attention to it each time we do a themed month so that folks can remember to add theme nominations if they want to then. I'm hoping this will help all of our members see both the current and upcoming month's discussion in the PBC and help encourage more participation :-)

message 38: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

And here are the books we will read together in March:

Mother Bruce
Cinder Edna
Falling for Rapunzel
Pancakes for Findus
Armadilly Chili
Battle Bunny

I look forward to LOL-ing with you all next month ;-)

message 39: by Cheryl, Newbery Club host (new)

I was able to request The Fox Hunt, aka Fox Chase, aka Findus and the Fox.... In this translation Pettson is named Festus, and Findus is named Mercury. But the pictures need no translation!

I love the picture of the hens getting shooed into their shelter. In their haste they abandon their little cups & saucers, and one even drops an egg that she was beginning to lay when interrupted.

message 40: by Xaka (new)

Xaka Hi! I'm new to this group. Is there another thread with the vote results?

message 41: by Cheryl, Newbery Club host (last edited Mar 15, 2017 05:42PM) (new)

Yes. In fact, the results are actually right here, just two posts up. The other thread, in which we discuss the winning books, is in the same folder as this, similarly titled. It's currently sticky on both the home page of the group, and at the top of this folder as it shows on the page of folders that goodreads labels "discussions."

Welcome!

message 42: by Xaka (new)

Xaka Thanks! I found it!

message 43: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Xaka wrote: "Thanks! I found it!"

Glad to have you aboard, Xaka!