Heartless
This topic is about Heartless
Book of the Month Archives > February 2017-Heartless by Marissa Meyer

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea (booktasticnerd87) | 4512 comments Mod
Synopsis:

Catherine may be one of the most desired girls in Wonderland and a favorite of the unmarried King, but her interests lie elsewhere. A talented baker, she wants to open a shop and create delectable pastries. But for her mother, such a goal is unthinkable for a woman who could be a queen.

At a royal ball where Cath is expected to receive the King’s marriage proposal, she meets handsome and mysterious Jest. For the first time, she feels the pull of true attraction. At the risk of offending the King and infuriating her parents, she and Jest enter into a secret courtship.

Cath is determined to choose her own destiny. But in a land thriving with magic, madness, and monsters, fate has other plans.

What did you rate it? And Why?
Who did you like? And Why?
Who did you not like? And Why?
What did you like? And Why?
What did you not like? And Why?
Would you recommend this book to anyone? If yes, why? If no, why?

Leela | 1500 comments Mod
I will be reading this book!

Actually I gave myself the challenge of reading all of Marissa Meyer's books for this month!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

YES!!!! Her new book is also out I need to et and read that one too.

message 4: by Andrea (new) - added it

Yes, the graphic novel. I just recently got it and I'm excited.

mina (minasandrist) I am actually reading the book this month!! *claps for self*

mina (minasandrist) I am actually reading the book this month!! *claps for self*

message 7: by Wendy (new) - added it

Wendy (wmaresca) I have had this book for a few months now I received it in my owl crate a month or so back. So looking forward to reading it this month.

Megan (ReadingRover) | 1232 comments Mod
I have a feeling I might be in the minority here. I started this on the 1st and was super excited. I finished it yesterday and was pretty let down. It seemed really long and dull to me. Maybe my hopes for it were just too high. I'm a huge fan of AIW retellings and there are so many good ones out there. I think I expected too much after reading The Lunar Chronicles. This book was just kind of drawn out for no real reason.
I hope everyone else likes it better than I did.

Farren (mmmcookies) Don't worry Megan, I felt the same. I just didn't think it was that great, especially the way all these book tubers talked it up. I thought maybe that was because the audiobook narrator irritated me, but I've seen a lot of people recommending the audio. It was very long and drawn out, and other than the Cheshire Cat I didn't care for any of the characters. I hope everyone sees whatever I didn't in this book.

I listened to the audiobook! I actually really like the narrator Rebecca Soler. She also narrated The Lunar Chronicles and a few other books I've listened too. Even that didn't make this book much better for me though.
It's also really funny that you say that about the characters because the Cheshire Cat was pretty much the only one I liked too! Jest wasn't too bad. Hardly anyone else had any likable qualities though. I did like the Mock Turtle lol.

Farren (mmmcookies) I think my favorite part of the book was about the Mock Turtle lol I liked Rebecca's natural speaking voice but when she did the other characters they were all so high pitched that it was hurting my ears! She narrated Caraval too, and from the sample I listened to it sounds fantastic. I recommended this audiobook for people who really enjoy the super theatrical ones. I'm (obviously) pretty picky about my narrators...

Yeah she did get pretty high pitched but I think it suited the story in this case. The other ones I listened to that she did were the Upside Down Magic series and it's a middle grade so they get a little squealy lol.

message 13: by Line (new) - rated it 4 stars

Line Bookaholic (linem) | 182 comments I already read this book last month, but I can't wait to read what you all think of it :)

Roxanne | 727 comments Mod
I might be a little different than most, despite wanting to smack the main character several times and being slightly annoyed with her. I actually enjoyed the book. I agree that most of the characters weren't great. I am not sure why I liked it more than everyone else.

Roxanne I think many people are going to like it. I didn't hate it. I kept reading. I just kept wanting more to happen but I felt like nothing really did until the last 20% or so. I wanted it to have more passion than it did. It fell flat for me. I think the Lunar Chronicles had my hopes up too high. I wanted more out of it. :/ I loved the Cheshire Cat though!

message 16: by Line (new) - rated it 4 stars

Line Bookaholic (linem) | 182 comments Megan wrote: "Roxanne I think many people are going to like it. I didn't hate it. I kept reading. I just kept wanting more to happen but I felt like nothing really did until the last 20% or so. I wanted it to ha..."

Exactly the same here...! I was disappointed butI still enjoyed it a lot! I guess it's the Lunar Chronicle's fault, I was expecting something as great as this series... I needed more!

Roxanne | 727 comments Mod
Megan wrote: "Roxanne I think many people are going to like it. I didn't hate it. I kept reading. I just kept wanting more to happen but I felt like nothing really did until the last 20% or so. I wanted it to ha..."

Ahh maybe that's the difference. I liked the lunar chronicles, but didn't love them.

Leela | 1500 comments Mod
Starting to think I am a little too ambitious. Lol.

message 19: by Wendy (new) - added it

Wendy (wmaresca) I am just finish the Lunar Chronicles now, so I am hoping after reading all of your reviews I am not going to be disappointed. Because I am loving the Lunar Chronicles.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I just started this book and already in love with the Chesire Cat.
Planning on reading more tonight.

message 21: by Andrea (new) - added it

I love the Chesire. And I like Jest. I am not far into it because I've had to be careful with my reading because I haven't had my glasses. They got lost.