YA and Beyond discussion

MONTHLY BOOK DISCUSSIONS > February 2017: Mary Reilly

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 6961 comments Mod
Place to discuss Ashley's hidden gem pick Mary Reilly Mary Reilly by Valerie Martin

message 2: by Elora (new)

Elora Mitchell | 578 comments Wow....it's February?!?
Where did January go?

I know!!!!!!!

message 4: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Holy crap yeah! Most likely I won't have time to start this til Sunday or Monday -- tonight is preview and tomorrow is opening night for the show I'm running at the theatre right now, + performances Saturday night and Sunday afternoon.

Is it a play Ashley??

message 6: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie It's a musical! It's called I Love You Because :)

How fun! Good luck :)

message 8: by Elora (new)

Elora Mitchell | 578 comments I started reading this last night. Despite the fact that it opens with a little girl being abused, I found myself giggling. Not of the horrors she was experiencing, but because she was being shoved into a cupboard under the stairs.
Why it was so funny: my husband was sitting next to me, reading none other than Harry Potter!!

Sounds interesting Elora! Yay for your hubby reading HP :)

message 10: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie I'm only 30 pages in but I really like the tone of this so far! Hoping to get through a bigger chunk this evening.

message 11: by Elora (new)

Elora Mitchell | 578 comments I finished.
Having never read anything about Dr. Jekyll before (shameful, I know), I really liked this one. I know the basic gist of the story, so that helped.
I had a really hard time with the bad grammar and use of "mun," even though I know it helped with the realism of the story. I kept getting jarred out of it in places, though.
One of the most interesting things I found was that I read this book VERY slowly, taking my time with each page. I'm not a skimmer at all, but I read relatively fast. Not the case with this one, and I wonder how on earth the author managed to pull that off???
Overall, it was a very enjoyable read and I liked it very much. :)

message 12: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie I finally finished! I had a similar issue with the use of "mun", Elora -- it seemed like she used it all the time in the first half of the book, but in the second half it nearly disappeared completely. I also have to agree with reading slower; her descriptions were fascinating and really gave me a sense of London and Jekyll's house, but I don't know that I was ever bored with it.