Paging All Bookworms! discussion

Members > Member of the Month - February 2017 - Lela

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2295 comments Mod
Our M-o-M for February 2017 is Lela

Lela ... take a moment (or three) to answer these questions (you can answer all in one post, or answer a few at a time over the next several days):

1. Significant other? Children? Pets?

2. What do you do for a living?

3. What is your favorite color?

4. What destination would be your dream vacation?

5. What is your favorite book genre?

6. Who are three of your favorite authors?

7. What's your favorite word?

8. What actress/actor should play you a film in your life story?

9. Will you tell us a funny or favorite story about yourself?

10. What are your hobbies?

11. Where is your favorite place to read?

12. What is your favorite sport to watch or play?

13. What was your favorite subject in school?

14. How are you creative?

15. What is your favorite sandwich?

16. What do you think is your very best feature or characteristic?

17. If you could throw any kind of party, what would it be like and what would it be for?

18. If you could paint a picture of anything, what would you paint?

19. If you could meet anyone, living or dead, who would you meet?

20. What’s your favorite comfort food?

BONUS Tell us three things about yourself not covered in these questions.

message 2: by Lela (last edited Feb 03, 2017 11:07PM) (new)

Lela | 9 comments 1. Significant other? Children? Pets? No SO. I have a 1 1/2 year old tabby cat who's fully grown at 7 pounds. Her name's Scooby Doo because she was a terrified little thing when we brought her home. My mom and I started feeding the strays downtown in 2005 and she was one we'd leave food for in 2015. Finally nabbed her one night just in time because she was so malnourished she wouldn't have lasted much longer, but she's loving the house cat life.

2. What do you do for a living? I worked at a city library for a year but I left last June when my health got bad and I ended in the ER 3 times. I have an autoimmune disease and it crashed last Spring due to the physical stress and environment at work. Miss it at times but focusing on getting my health back to where it was.

3. What is your favorite color? Green all the way.

4. What destination would be your dream vacation? Montana. Never been, nobody in my family has been, but I'd love to see the mountains and sky up there one day.

5. What is your favorite book genre? Mystery.

6. Who are three of your favorite authors? Nicci French, Stephen Clarke, and PG Wodehouse.

7. What's your favorite word? Brilliant.

message 3: by Lela (last edited Feb 09, 2017 03:24PM) (new)

Lela | 9 comments 8. What actress/actor should play you a film in your life story? I wouldn't wish that role on any actress.

9. Will you tell us a funny or favorite story about yourself? One story that's fun for my friend and me to tell. We drove down to Dallas in Oct 2014, I think, for a huge booksale. Think a sports auditorium sized building full of books, it was great, over 50 items for 64$ in total. Anyway, we left at 5am and were heading back to Oklahoma around 6pm. Halfway in the middle of nowhere on the highway was a man hitchhiking. Of course, two young girls, we drove on. We made it to Oklahoma City around 10 and stopped at Dairy Queen to get something to eat. Went through the drive thru and then found a parking spot to eat at. We're listening to the radio, having some dinner, talking, and an SUV drives through a little turn in to get to DQ and stops directly in front of us and then drives off. What's so important about this? They stopped to drop someone off. Which brings me back to that hitch hiker we saw right before crossing in OK. He's standing right in front of us 4 hours and over 100 miles later. We recognize him. Imagine two very tired girls on a book high scream-laughing at the situation simultaneously. Jokes abound about how he tracked us down for refusing a ride. The chances that we stopped to eat at DQ, decide to park in a space rather than continue on driving, just for that man to be dropped off right in front of us, is still something we can't get over. It's a story where there's not a lot of action but one we like to think back on at times.

10. What are your hobbies? Reading, watching movies, driving (not so much now that my car only has 500 miles to 100K), and I guess photography.

11. Where is your favorite place to read? Front room. No tv, so it's a nice spot for solitude.

12. What is your favorite sport to watch or play? My mom has gotten me to watch golf. Neither of us play, but we like watching it.

13. What was your favorite subject in school? History.

14. How are you creative? I grew up drawing, so I like sketching, but don't do a lot of it anymore. Do a lot of posters, though, on Word. Times when my web design and computer concepts degree pays off.

15. What is your favorite sandwich? Grilled mozzarella and tomato sandwich.

16. What do you think is your very best feature or characteristic? I get a lot of compliments on my hair. It goes past my waist and has a nice natural color. I like to think I give people the benefit of doubt. Even when my cynicism says they probably don't deserve it.

17. If you could throw any kind of party, what would it be like and what would it be for? I'd like to have a Mystery Science Theater 3000 film party.

18. If you could paint a picture of anything, what would you paint? My cat, Tumbuls, that died in Sept. 2015. My mom's cat had gotten pregnant before we could get her spayed and I was allowed to keep one kitten from the litter. The last of six, she grew up to be a huge 18 lb. long-hair tortoishell who really took on the Manx lineage she had in size, but was the biggest baby you could imagine. I had her since I was 11 and it was devastating. Still is at times.

19. If you could meet anyone, living or dead, who would you meet? Charles II of England.

20. What’s your favorite comfort food? Is coffee considered food? No? Well, then probably just chocolate of some sort.

BONUS Tell us three things about yourself not covered in these questions.

1. I have a really great memory. I can still recall moments that happened before I was 2 and it still shocks my dad.

2. I love the quiet. It's nothing for me to wake up and not have the tv on or even speak a word for hours unless someone's speaking to me. Or my cat comes up to me, then I have to say something to her.

3. Juice nut. I don't drink alcohol. And I love coffee but it's rare to not have the refrigerator holding at least half a dozen cans or bottles of juice. Can't get enough of it.

message 4: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2295 comments Mod
So ... I take it you're in Oklahoma? Hubby and I drove through on our way home from Texas after the Christmas holiday. Some lovely country! Can definitely see why the thought of Big Sky Montana would appeal, though ...

message 5: by Lela (new)

Lela | 9 comments Yes, I am. It does have some nice country here. Especially in the southern region.

The heat and humidity in the summer and bitter winters are enough to turn anyone away but it's home.

I drove to Colorado with a friend last year for a concert and 15 hours in a rental wasn't ideal so the thought of making the drive to Montana is torturous, but hopefully one day it will be done!