Grab a Book & Play Booktivity! discussion

What Are You Reading? > Review - February 2017 - Books with a MUSIC theme

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2760 comments Mod

Read any good books lately that fit our monthly theme? Here's the place to share your opinions / reactions / recommendations.

This month's theme was suggested by Patty -
"The Day the Music Died - Read a book with a "music" theme.
Be sure to explain how your book fits if it isn't obvious.

Happy reading!

message 2: by Koren (last edited Feb 08, 2017 09:49AM) (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 521 comments I Got This: How I Changed My Ways and Lost What Weighed Me Down by Jennifer Hudson
3 stars

Jennifer started her singing career on season 3 of American Idol, being eliminated in 7th place and went on to win an Oscar for her role in Dreamgirls
I guess I shouldn't have been disappointed but I was. The title says 'how I changed my ways and lost what weighed me down' and that is exactly what this is about. I thought this would be more about her life and it is at the beginning but about half way through it gets to be a commericial for Weight Watchers. She does talk quite a bit about her journey to fame but very little about her personal life. I was surprised no mention was made about her mother and brother being murdered.

message 3: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 521 comments That's Amore: A Son Remembers Dean Martin by Ricci Martin
4 stars

Written by the son of Dean Martin. It is clear that the author loves his father. I was sad that the author passed away about a year ago. I read another book by the daughter of Dean Martin, Deana, and it was similar. He was well-loved by his family and it is clear they had a close-knit family and was not at all disfuntional. That might make for a dull book but if you are looking for juicy gossip this would not be the book for you.

message 4: by Cora (new)

Cora (corareading) | 8 comments I finished this a day into March, but I read most of it in February. The magic in this book is based on music and song.

The Hum and the Shiver - Alex Bledsoe

4 stars

Bronwyn Hyatt has returned to her small town in the mountains of Tennessee a hero. She was the only survivor of an Ambush that killed most of her fellow soldiers. She killed many of the enemy soldiers before being rescued on live TV and becoming a celebrity. But Bronwyn's small town is different than others. She is a full blooded Tufa. The Tufa are a people that are their own ethnicity. Legend says that the Tufa were living in the mountains of Tennessee before any other people came there. Bronwyn must now adjust to life back in the small town with the obligations of being a first daughter of her people, an obligation that she went to war to escape.

I really enjoyed this book. It is a bit of urban fantasy (without the urban part) and a bit of magical realism. The Tufa may have their special magic, but they come across as real people with small town problems rather than magical beings. It is really about a young woman chafing from the responsibilities of her family and her small town life being forced to return and face the constraints that drove her to leave in the first place. It is a human story with a bit of magic and fantasy. I look forward to reading more books about the Tufa.