NHCPL Reads discussion

February 2017: What Are You Reading This Month?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by New Hanover (new)

New Hanover County Public Library | 42 comments Mod
Happy February!

Share what you're reading this month!

Are you participating in the library's Winter Reading Program?

message 2: by Liz (new)

Liz (ladyflintsoms) | 7 comments I'm halfway through Anne Patchett's novel Commonwealth. It's well-written, but I keep wondering why I'm reading it, what's the point of this particular story. ( Commonwealth by Ann Patchett It might be more of a reflection on me than the book, though!)

message 3: by Charlene (new)

Charlene | 21 comments Liz wrote: "I'm halfway through Anne Patchett's novel Commonwealth. It's well-written, but I keep wondering why I'm reading it, what's the point of this particular story. (Commonwealth by Ann PatchettIt m..."

Liz wrote: "I'm halfway through Anne Patchett's novel Commonwealth. It's well-written, but I keep wondering why I'm reading it, what's the point of this particular story. (Commonwealth by Ann PatchettIt m..."

Hi Liz,
The writing, as you say, is vintage Ann Patchett, but I also found the story to be a dark portrayal of the effects of divorce on two families. I'd like to believe, in fact I know, not all families fare this badly. I still love Ann Patchett, though!

message 4: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 20 comments I'm reading How the Post Office Created America: A History right now. It's so far an enjoyable history of the USA through the history of our post office and mail delivery - with some newspaper history thrown in for good measure!

message 5: by Charlene (last edited Feb 17, 2017 06:05AM) (new)

Charlene | 21 comments I am reading Jane Hamilton's new novel, The Excellent Lombards by Jane Hamilton , The Excellent Lombards.
I loved her books, The Book of Ruth by Jane Hamilton , The Book of Ruth, and A Map of the World by Jane Hamilton , A Map of the World. I have to say that so far, this one is falling a little flat for me. Always disappointed when an author I love isn't quite on her game. (My humble opinion.)