Science Fiction Aficionados discussion

Monthly Read: Themed > More than Human-February 2017

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maggie, space cruisin' for a bruisin' (new)

Maggie K | 1280 comments Mod
I am excited to jump in, as this has been on my tbr for a while...
Are you reading too? What do you think?

message 2: by Staci (new)

Staci Johnson | 7 comments Just picked it up on my kindle. Starting now

message 3: by Staci (new)

Staci Johnson | 7 comments I'm reading Almost Human and it has made me curious about the ending but I'm not thoroughly enjoying the authors writing style. I guess it's not a page turner. Not sure why but I'm just not into it. Anybody out there enjoying it, I hope so. Let me know what you think of the book.

message 4: by Maggie, space cruisin' for a bruisin' (new)

sorry to anyone who couldnt find this thread! I forgot to hit the button that places it at the top of the list.....

message 5: by Lena (new)

Lena Just started the audiobook. The readers voice is gutteral and unpleasant but it might go with the story. So far it's an uninvolved physical tale.

message 6: by Lena (new)

Lena 15% in. So far this seems like a collection of the worlds worst parents.

message 7: by E.J. (new)

E.J. Randolph (canyonelf) | 151 comments It's an OK read. Actually, it's a good story. Bit hard to put together at first. It does get better as you go. I blitzed through it. I have lots of thoughts on the concept. He ends up making it sound attractive. But, I disagree. If it were something desirable, it would have happened already. Lots of people have a sixth sense about danger. That seems OK. But, how many people would acquiesce in having their precious mental space invaded? We fear that. We drive out the "witches" in our midst. We don't want them. And, people with these abilities in reality go crazy because they can't shut the voices off. Or, they have a hard time in crowds or around people who give off strong vibes. Stop and think about it. How can you tune in just the right channel? Perhaps a chaotic jumble is more likely.

message 8: by Phil (new)

Phil Jensen | 116 comments I'm 1/3 in and enjoying it a lot. It reminds me a lot of a Harlan Ellison story- beautiful prose and lots left unsaid. I can see how it would be polarizing, but so far I'm buying into it.

message 9: by Maggie, space cruisin' for a bruisin' (new)

I am almost finished ...an interesting concept to think about.

It jumps around a bit much, but I like the premise.

message 10: by Lena (new)

Lena Oh no, the narrator switched in Part 2! He's worse, much worse.

message 11: by Phil (new)

Phil Jensen | 116 comments Finished!

I really enjoyed it. Toward the end of Part 2, I got that feeling of awe and dread that I felt the first time I read the Miracleman, Book One: A Dream of Flying.

I think that was really the peak for me. Part 3 was good, but there were a couple points where I could see where it was going a little too clearly, and that deflated the payoff.

message 13: by E.J. (new)

E.J. Randolph (canyonelf) | 151 comments Phil wrote: "Here's my review of More Than Human:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show..."

That's a cute review. You managed to describe some aspects I could not have written. I am surprised no one has commented on the basic premise. To me that was the Monty Python big foot coming down. I found it a little shocking that anyone would write about it as something desirable. Hive people. Aack!

message 14: by Lena (new)

Lena 47% in. I'm lost here guys. Who is talking to the shrink? Is he 8 or 15 or 33? He just moved in with the montley crew of survivors from the bad parent awards and now...? Goodness!

message 15: by Phil (new)

Phil Jensen | 116 comments Lena wrote: "47% in. I'm lost here guys. Who is talking to the shrink? Is he 8 or 15 or 33? He just moved in with the montley crew of survivors from the bad parent awards and now...? Goodness!"

I can answer that question. (view spoiler) I tried to give enough spoilers to orient the narrative, but not so many that I killed all the surprises.

message 16: by Lena (new)

Lena Thank You Phil!!!

message 17: by E.J. (new)

E.J. Randolph (canyonelf) | 151 comments I find all this concern over spoilers to be distracting. If discussions are simply exchanges of reviews (done to advise someone on purchases without giving away the plot or surprises), what's the point? Seems to me a discussion should only occur after someone has read the book and wishes to discuss it. Anyone who has not read the book goes to a discussion at their own risk. For instance, this discussion thread does not even go into the detail I read on the Amazon page for the book. I quit coming to these discussions because they are like decaffeinated coffee. What is the point? I get so frustrated I'm practically chewing the furniture. Does anyone know of any discussions where you can take the story apart and analyze it down to underlying premises? I would appreciate any directions.

message 18: by Lena (new)

Lena In Catching Up With Classics all BOM have two threads. Non Spoilers for In-Progress Readers and Spoilers for people who are Finished and want to chat. We could think about something like that here. Phil knew to use Spoilers because I indicated where in the book I was.

message 19: by E.J. (new)

E.J. Randolph (canyonelf) | 151 comments That sounds like a good idea.

What does BOM mean?

message 20: by Lena (new)

Lena Book of the Month

message 21: by Maggie, space cruisin' for a bruisin' (new)

A lot of the book clubs do it that way....we are a little looser with things here.

I think we had some truly fabulous reads this month....for this book, although I didnt always like the execution, I LOVED the premise

message 22: by E.J. (new)

E.J. Randolph (canyonelf) | 151 comments Yeah, it is great in the abstract. But, there is always the assumption that it has the controlled aspects of regular conversation. That you can mentally speak with only one person at a time. Imagine instead being in a room full of people shouting all at once at you. I watched a movie with this more chaotic premise. The receptive individuals were overcome by all the impressions impacting all at once.

message 23: by Phil (new)

Phil Jensen | 116 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Yeah, it is great in the abstract. But, there is always the assumption that it has the controlled aspects of regular conversation. That you can mentally speak with only one person at a time. Imagin..."

I was a little fuzzy on the telepathy concept, to be honest. The "rule" seems to be that characters cease to be telepathic as they gain verbal ability, but some characters don't. Lone and Geri seem to have the ability to call the twins, but not Baby. And Jane continues to talk to Baby no matter how sophisticated she gets.

message 24: by LindaJ^ (new)

LindaJ^ (lindajs) | 260 comments I read this a while ago and loved it. It is one of those science fiction books that makes one think. Humans have a lot of problems with people who are not like them, although where that line is drawn varies among individuals and has varied over time and place. Sometimes it is religion, sometimes it is color, sometimes it is ethnicity, sometimes it is class, sometimes it is intelligence. My review is here https://www.goodreads.com/review/show....

message 25: by David (new)

David Churnega | 30 comments Just starting now, I know it is the last day of the month but I am a newbie here.

By accident I noticed the author's name as the writer of the Original Star Trek shows. He is credited for creating the Vulcan greeting "Live long and prosper". Interesting. I read the other book for Feb BTW and was happy with the recommendation.

message 26: by E.J. (new)

E.J. Randolph (canyonelf) | 151 comments I enjoyed the book even though I disagree with even the possibility of the ending. Certainly the desirability. I wonder if the author was lonely and suggests this as the ultimate answer to belonging.

message 27: by Lena (new)

Lena I finished!
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
Yes I know, but better late than never. Loved the concept that I had first read about in The Rook.