Play Book Tag discussion

February 2017: Quirky > Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel - 4.5 Stars

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Regina Lindsey (new)

Regina Lindsey | 1005 comments Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel by Emily St. John Mandel - 4.5 Stars rounded to 4

Thrice divorced and famous actor, Arthur Leander, dies of heart attack on stage while performing King Lear. Jeevan, in training as a paramedic rushes on stage to perform CPR while the young, aspiring actress, Kristen, looks on stunned at losing the kind, fatherly Leander. Once everyone leaves the theatre a slow realization that a pandemic is spreading throughout the world. The Georgia flu ends society as it is known.

Post-apocalyptic tales can fall into a routine structure. Station Eleven, however, resists that danger. The back story of Miranda, Leander's first wife, is creative and provides an interesting element to the story. There is a robust cast of characters and Mandel adeptly loosely ties their lives together in a way that is satisfying. I found myself thinking of the characters often at the conclusion of the tale, even dreaming about them one night. Ultimately, the story of the importance of relationships that sustain us is central because "survival is not sufficient."

Good book for anyone who enjoys this genre.

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I really enjoyed this too.

message 3: by Ladyslott (last edited Feb 01, 2017 08:10AM) (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I loved this book, it was so complex and I liked the way it all came together in the end. Sadly I did not like Last Night in Montreal, her earlier book.

message 4: by Jeremiah (new)

Jeremiah Cunningham | 691 comments Great review. Can you elaborate on what you believe made this book "quirky"? I am really intrigued by how books get this label.

message 5: by Regina Lindsey (new)

Regina Lindsey | 1005 comments J.W. wrote: "Great review. Can you elaborate on what you believe made this book "quirky"? I am really intrigued by how books get this label."

I have to admit, I don't put a lot of thought into whether a book fits the tag or not. Just don't have time for it. If it is tagged such I go with it. Having said that, after reading it I think you could make the argument that the comic book's tie to the storyline, also entitled Station Eleven may fit. I did notice in the list though that a number of dystopia and apocalyptic books made it on this list. But, I don't think that alone would suffice.

message 6: by Regina Lindsey (new)

Regina Lindsey | 1005 comments Ladyslott wrote: "I loved this book, it was so complex and I liked the way it all camee together in the end. Sadly I did not like Last Night in Montreal, her earlier book."

That's good to know. I had looked at other works.

I agree. I like how the characters all tied together. I have to admit there was one character I thought was going to have more interaction with Kristen in the end but didn't.

message 7: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4916 comments This has been on my TBR for some time, I will have to read it for the PBT High Notes challenge!

message 8: by Flo (new)

Flo (matthewmurdock) | 145 comments This has been on my tbr for a while as well! I'm glad you rated it so high, since it motivates me to get on it! XD

message 9: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8299 comments I didn't love it - but I notoriously don't go for post apocolyptic or dystopian fare. You guys will have to help me out if it ever becomes the tag...

message 10: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6928 comments Amy wrote: "I didn't love it - but I notoriously don't go for post apocolyptic or dystopian fare. You guys will have to help me out if it ever becomes the tag..."

No problem, since there are some that are better suited for people who don't go for this.

I liked this book, but not as much as I'd hoped to.

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 195 comments Sounds right up my alley. Thanks for the review.

message 12: by Regina Lindsey (new)

Regina Lindsey | 1005 comments annapi wrote: "This has been on my TBR for some time, I will have to read it for the PBT High Notes challenge!"

It wasn't on my radar until the challenge! Glad I read it.

message 13: by Jenni Elyse (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1268 comments This is one I've wanted to read for a while. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

message 14: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8129 comments This is a Canadian author, isn't it? So, for anyone doing Climb the Stairs and using "canadian", it would fit.

I really should add this to my tbr!

message 15: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4916 comments LibraryCin wrote: "This is a Canadian author, isn't it? So, for anyone doing Climb the Stairs and using "canadian", it would fit.

I really should add this to my tbr!"

Ooh, I did not know that! I will have to read this then!

message 16: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8129 comments Yes, I just double checked. On my fading memory, I thought she had won (or been nominated for) a Canadian award of some kind for this book.

According to wikipedia, she's from B.C.

message 17: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 696 comments I've wanted to get to this one. Great to see the nice rating.

message 18: by Sushicat (new)

Sushicat | 804 comments LibraryCin wrote: "This is a Canadian author, isn't it? So, for anyone doing Climb the Stairs and using "canadian", it would fit.

Nice - that would be two challenges with one book as I want to read it for the highnotes and have added a Canada step to my stairs.

message 19: by Karin (last edited Feb 04, 2017 02:02PM) (new)

Karin | 6928 comments Sushicat wrote: "LibraryCin wrote: "This is a Canadian author, isn't it? So, for anyone doing Climb the Stairs and using "canadian", it would fit.

Nice - that would be two ch..."

I have Canada as one of my stairs, but I read this in December. I think I gave this 4 stars as overall I thought it quite good.