Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives Retired Folder Threads > April 2017 New School Nominations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 71 (71 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2386 comments April 2017 New School group read nominations are now open! Please review the requirements below for book eligibility.

Please take note of the nomination rules!

1.) Books that have already been featured as group reads are not eligible for nomination.
BOOKSHELF: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

2.) Eligible publication dates for books are 1900-1999.

3.) Only ONE nomination OR one second per member.

4.) Nominations will remain open until the 14th of the month. Polls will open on the 16th and run until the last day of the month. Books that have received a nomination and a second will advance to the poll.

message 3: by Brina (new)

Brina I nominate The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan

message 4: by Bat-Cat (new)

Bat-Cat | 1300 comments Great, thank you Carrie!

message 5: by Jen (new)

Jen (skipp) | 103 comments I third the wind up bird chronicle, its got to win one month right? :)

message 6: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2386 comments Jen wrote: "I third the wind up bird chronicle, its got to win one month right? :)"

It had a decent lead on the third place book for March, so there's a decent chance!

message 7: by Brina (new)

Brina Seems like I'm outvoted ;). I nominated a woman author for international women's month but if Wind Up Bird is as good as advertised I don't mind my book not winning.

message 9: by Lena (new)

Lena | 300 comments Dune anyone? Has that been done?

message 10: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2386 comments Lena wrote: "Dune anyone? Has that been done?"

Yep. It was last read in 2012, it seems. It was #3 in the revisit polls for March so there's certainly people who want to read it with you!

You can nominate it here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 11: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2386 comments Brina wrote: "Seems like I'm outvoted ;). I nominated a woman author for international women's month but if Wind Up Bird is as good as advertised I don't mind my book not winning."

You never know! There are people in the group who don't like Murakami.

message 12: by Ellen (new)

Ellen B I nominate The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton.

message 14: by Wend (new)

Wend (wends) | 74 comments Please may I nominate The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4 The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4 (Adrian Mole, #1) by Sue Townsend by Sue Townsend. One of the greatest and funniest books.

message 15: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie | 325 comments I'ld like to nominate The Color Purple by Alice Walker.

message 16: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4763 comments Mod
I nominate One of Ours by Willa Cather, 1923 Pulitzer Prize, published 1922, 343 pages

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sasstel) | 426 comments I'll second One of Ours.

message 19: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4763 comments Mod
Sarah wrote: "I'll second One of Ours."

Thanks Sarah

message 20: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9161 comments Mod
Brina wrote: "I nominate The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan "

I will second this for you Brina -- looks like you are nominating books that I already have lined up to read this year.

message 21: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Bob wrote: "I nominate One of Ours by Willa Cather, 1923 Pulitzer Prize, published 1922, 343 pages"

That is a very good book Bob.

message 22: by Brina (new)

Brina I am nominating books by women that I hope people would want to read for women's history month.

message 23: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Brina wrote: "I am nominating books by women that I hope people would want to read for women's history month."

Wonderful Idea!

message 24: by Raul (new)

Raul Bimenyimana | 18 comments I third One of Ours!

message 25: by Matt (new)

Matt | 17 comments I nominate The Long Walk by Stephen King

message 26: by Brina (new)

Brina N J that is an awesome book :-)

message 27: by Paula W (new)

Paula W | 554 comments Ellen wrote: "I nominate The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton."

I second this.

message 28: by Matt (new)

Matt | 17 comments I third the Outsiders

message 29: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Shropshire (pswap57) | 48 comments I second I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings! On my TBR for 2017 anyway!

message 30: by Jen (new)

Jen (skipp) | 103 comments Brina wrote: "Seems like I'm outvoted ;). I nominated a woman author for international women's month but if Wind Up Bird is as good as advertised I don't mind my book not winning."

This is a great idea Brina...going to be very conflicted when voting time arrives! :s

message 31: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3539 comments Pamela wrote: "I second I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings! On my TBR for 2017 anyway!"

Me too--thanks Pamela!

message 32: by Ellen (new)

Ellen B Thanks, Paula and Matt.

message 33: by Missy J (new)

Missy J (missyj333) Pamela wrote: "I second I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings! On my TBR for 2017 anyway!"

I will third this.

message 34: by Brina (new)

Brina I'm not seconding because I nominated a book already but I read A G-D of Small Things in December and it was really good.

message 38: by Karin (last edited Feb 02, 2017 01:16PM) (new)

Karin Melanti wrote: "You never know! There are people in the group who don't like Murakami.."

Like me. I did like a nonfiction of his, but that's it :)

I will second The Custom of the Country

message 40: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2386 comments N. J. wrote: "I nominate The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy"

N. J. wrote: "Nathalie wrote: "I'ld like to nominate The Color Purple by Alice Walker."

I second this nomination."

N.J. You can either nominate or second, but not both.
Which book would you prefer?

message 41: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2386 comments Matt wrote: "I third the Outsiders"

Matt wrote: "I nominate The Long Walk by Stephen King"

Matt, you ou can either nominate or second, but not both.
Which book would you prefer?

message 42: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2386 comments Karin wrote: "Like me. I did like a nonfiction of his, but that's it :)..."
There's at least two of us here then.

message 43: by Melanti (last edited Feb 06, 2017 08:09AM) (new)

Melanti | 2386 comments A great list so far! There's a couple nominated that I'm surprised the group hasn't already read!

Seconded:
The Color Purple by Alice Walker, 295, 1982 - Nathalie, Marilyn
The Custom of the Country by Edith Wharton, 370, 1913 - Stephanie, Karin
The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy, 1997, 340 - N.J. , Sam
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou, 246, 1969 - Kathleen, Pamela, Missy J.
The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan, 288 pgs, 1989 - Brina, Kathy
The Long Walk by Richard Bachman/Stephen King, 370, 1979 - Matt, Lena, Jennifer Lynn, MJ
One of Ours by Willa Cather, 343, 1922 - Bob, Sarah, Raul, Pam, Carol
The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton, 192, 1967 - Ellen, Paula W.
Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder, 403, 1991 - Nargus, Sam
The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami, 607 pgs, 1994 - Bat-Cat, Carrie, Jen, Loretta, Hailee, Lee, Piyumi
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle, 211, 1962 - Luella, Sarah

Nominated:
All the King's Men by Robert Penn Warren, 661, 1946 - Janet
The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4 by Sue Townsend, 272, 1982 - Wend

message 44: by Hilary (new)

Hilary (agapoyesoun) | 194 comments Hi Melanti
I had left a couple of messages for you on two different threads. Please would you mind letting me know if you were able to delete that. Thanks.

message 45: by Lena (new)

Lena | 300 comments I'll second The Long Walk

message 46: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2386 comments Hilary wrote: "Hi Melanti
I had left a couple of messages for you on two different threads. Please would you mind letting me know if you were able to delete that. Thanks."

There's nothing I can do to delete anything. You can try logging in on a browser rather than the app or asking in the feedback group for advice.

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 215 comments THE LONG WALK! THE LONG WALK! THE LONG WALK! SO SO GOOD that is must be read by EVERYONE, EVERYWHERE! It is one of King's that I re-read every single year. My paperback is literally falling apart but I will gladly read it (re-read I should say) with this group, if anything, just for members of the group to get to experience it themselves. This book is so great that I often give it as a gift at Xmas time to friends who are 'non-readers' and this book has converted many thus far! - Jen from Quebec :0)

message 48: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2386 comments Thanks, N.J.
The list has been updated.

message 49: by Piyumi (new)

Piyumi Lee wrote: "I'll sixth The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami."

I'll seventh The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami :). I just finished Kafka on the Shore three days ago, my first Murakami, still can't get over the amazing journey I had reading it, sheer brilliance in my humble opinion. And so its on my list of books to read next :D.
Got my vote

message 50: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 679 comments I second The Color Purple. It's in one of my challenges.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.