2-3-4 Challenge discussion

Archives > January 2017 Roundup

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonetta (last edited Feb 03, 2017 11:46AM) (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 10924 comments Mod
 photo image_zpsrov4ysil.png

1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will you continue?
3. Did you move forward in any series? How many?
4. Any standout or 5 star books read? Why did you love it/them?
5. Overall summary of your reading month?

Lauren
Joi
Lieke
Tracey
Alyssa
Melissa
Angela
Robin
Jonetta
Veronica
Laura
Allison

message 2: by Lauren (last edited Feb 01, 2017 03:24AM) (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 4292 comments Mod
One
Dukes Prefer Blondes (The Dressmakers, #4) by Loretta Chase - this has not been a good series and this installment does not improve it at all. Loretta Chase simply isn't for me.

Yes, 4
Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1) by Charlaine Harris In Bed with the Devil (Scoundrels of St. James, #1) by Lorraine Heath The Girl In The Ice (DCI Erika Foster, #1) by Robert Bryndza and The Missing (The FBI Psychics, #1) by Shiloh Walker . Will continue the first three but not the fourth. It just didn't grab me.

Yes, 10

Dukes Prefer Blondes (The Dressmakers, #4) by Loretta Chase Jagged (Colorado Mountain, #5) by Kristen Ashley It Happened One Wedding (FBI/US Attorney, #5) by Julie James All About Passion (Cynster, #7) by Stephanie Laurens Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8) by Darynda Jones The Darkest Seduction (Lords of the Underworld #9) by Gena Showalter The Closers (Harry Bosch, #11; Harry Bosch Universe, #13) by Michael Connelly Stranded (Maggie O'Dell, #11) by Alex Kava Betrayal in Death (In Death, #12) by J.D. Robb One Silent Night (Dark-Hunter, #16) by Sherrilyn Kenyon

The Closers (Harry Bosch, #11; Harry Bosch Universe, #13) by Michael Connelly - so glad to have Harry back on the force, and the The Girl In The Ice (DCI Erika Foster, #1) by Robert Bryndza - fantastic debut.

I read 14 book, which is a very good start to the year. Hope I can keep up the momentum

message 3: by Joi (new)

Joi | 27 comments 1.Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
No.
Yes. Deeper Than the Dead (Oak Knoll, #1) by Tami Hoag All Up In My Business The Mysterious Affair at Styles
Yes. I moved forward in one series.
No.
This month was a good month, but I plan to do even better next month.

message 4: by Jonetta (new)

Lauren wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
One
Dukes Prefer Blondes (The Dressmakers, #4) by Loretta Chase - this has not been a good series and this installment does not improve it at all. ..."

Wow, Lauren! You started the year with a bang. Moving forward in ten series is just grand.

message 5: by Jonetta (new)

Joi wrote: "1.Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
No.
Yes. Deeper Than the Dead (Oak Knoll, #1) by Tami Hoag [book..."

Good start, Joi! Keep enjoying your reading.

message 6: by Lauren (new)

Jonetta wrote: "Wow, Lauren! You started the year with a bang. Moving forward in ten series is just grand. "

Thanks Jonetta. I'm quite proud of myself, lol!

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Joi wrote: "5. Overall summary of your reading month?
This month was a good month, but I plan to do even better next month. ."

Glad you had a good start, Joi. Good luck for February!

message 8: by Lieke (new)

Lieke | 1125 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
I finished one series, it is only a two book series and I read the second book this month: Up

five new series and I will continue all of them, although for one I'm really hoping the second book is going to be a lot better then the first book.
I started: The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer, Sookie Stackhouse by Charlaine Harris, Saga of the Borderlands by Liliana Bodoc, Chrestomanci By Diana Wynne Jones and Ranger's Apprentice: The Early Years by John Flanagan.

I moved forward in two series: The Others by Anne Bishop and Lorien Legacies by Pittacus Lore.

I enjoyed most of my books, a standout was Up it was not an easy topic but it was very well written and gave a lot of (different) feelings.

A very good month, it feels like I read more series books this month then in the whole of 2016. I know it isn't the case but I did read a lot of series books :)

Vision in Silver (The Others, #3) by Anne Bishop The Fate of Ten Lorien Legacies Book 6 by Pittacus Lore Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1) by Charlaine Harris De dagen van het hert (De sage van het Grensland, #1) by Liliana Bodoc Sleutels van chaos by Hati Bell Dagen van schaamte by Lieneke Dijkzeul Mycket mer än så by Sarah Dessen Charmed Life (Chrestomanci, #1) by Diana Wynne Jones Up (Paaz, #2) by Myrthe van der Meer The Tournament at Gorlan (Ranger’s Apprentice The Early Years, #1) by John Flanagan

message 9: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (trakka) | 1363 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
One - the Hetty Feather series by Jacqueline Wilson

Two and I will continue both:
1. Sookie Stackhouse by Charlaine Harris
2. Inspector Rebus by Ian Rankin

I moved forward in 4 series:
1. In Death by J D Robb
2. Sebastian St Cyr by C S Harris
3. Harry Bosch by Michael Connelly
4. Kate Daniels by Ilona Andrews

I had four 5 star reads this month:
A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
The Overlook by Michael Connelly
From Sand and Ash by Amy Harmon
Gunmetal Magic by Ilona Andrews

My standout book was A Christmas Carol. I have been meaning to read this book for a long time and I am so glad that I finally did. I just loved reading it with my girls.

A great start to the year!

message 10: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (trakka) | 1363 comments Lauren wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
One
Dukes Prefer Blondes (The Dressmakers, #4) by Loretta Chase - this has not been a good series and this installment does not improve it at all. ..."

A brilliant start! Moving forward in 10 series is impressive.

message 11: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (trakka) | 1363 comments Joi wrote: "1.Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
No.
Yes. Deeper Than the Dead (Oak Knoll, #1) by Tami Hoag [book..."

Did you enjoy [book:The Mysterious Affair at Styles|16343]? I love Agatha Christie but haven't read one of hers for a while!

message 12: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (trakka) | 1363 comments Lieke wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
I finished one series, it is only a two book series and I read the second book this month: Up

2. Did you start a..."

Wow! A great month Lieke.

message 13: by Lauren (new)

Lieke wrote: "A very good month, it feels like I read more series books this month then in the whole of 2016. I know it isn't the case but I did read a lot of series books :)."

I know what you mean, Lieke. It seemed like I read more series books that I usually do even though I'm sure I didn't.
Glad you had a good month.

message 14: by Lauren (new)

Tracey wrote: "My standout book was A Christmas Carol. I have been meaning to read this book for a long time and I am so glad that I finally did. I just loved reading it with my girls."

A wonderful classic!

message 15: by Alyssa (last edited Feb 05, 2017 09:51AM) (new)

Alyssa (alyssa_hesper) ***Edited to change a series from Complete to Up To Date***

Completed
1. Rock Chick by Kristen Ashley
2. Infidelity by Aleatha Romig
3. Real Good Duet by Meghan March
4. Clipped Wings by Helena Hunting

Up To Date
1. Until Her by Aurora Rose Reynolds
2. Badd Brothers by Jasinda Wilder
3. The Aces' Sons by Nicole Jacquelyn
4. Fever Series by Karen Marie Moning

I started 3 new series. I completed one since it was only a duet (2 books). The other two I will definitely continue to read.
1. Blasphemy by Laura Kaye
2. Aerial Ethereal by Krista & Becca Ritchie
3. Real Duet by Meghan March.

I moved forward with 8 series.
1. Cold Fury Hockey by Sawyer Bennett
2. Everything I Left Unsaid by Molly O'Keefe
3. Brooklyn Bruisers by Sarina Bowen
4. Until Her Series by Aurora Rose Reynolds
5. Aerial Ethereal by Krista & Becca Ritchie
6. Badd Brothers Series by Jasinda Wilder
7. The Aces' Sons Series by Nicole Jacquelyn
8. Fever Series by Karen Marie Moning

I had 5 standout or 5 star reads this month.
Rock Chick Reawakening (Rock Chick, #0.5) by Kristen Ashley Amour Amour (Aerial Ethereal, #1) by Krista Ritchie The Bird and the Sword by Amy Harmon Feversong (Fever, #9) by Karen Marie Moning Fidelity (Infidelity, #5) by Aleatha Romig

I started off the year strongly reading 25 books. 23 of those were series reads.

message 16: by Jonetta (new)

Lieke wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?

2. Did you start a..."

You did have a good month! Congrats for completing your series already.

message 17: by Jonetta (new)

Tracey wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
One - the Hetty Feather series by Jacqueline Wilson

T..."

I'm no longer worried about you Tracey! What an outstanding month and I'm salivating over your 5-star reads.

message 18: by Jonetta (new)

Alyssa wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
Completed
1. Rock Chick by Kristen Ashley - completed 1/3/17
2. Infidelity Series by Aleatha Romig - completed 1/17/17
3. Fever S..."

Excellent Alyssa! What did you think of the Infedelity series? I've toyed with trying this series.

message 19: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (alyssa_hesper) Jonetta wrote: "Excellent Alyssa! What did you think of the Infedelity series? I've toyed with trying this series. "

Thank you! I LOVED the Infidelity series. It was classic Aleatha with many twists, turns and OMG moments. For me, it was not as good as her Consequences series (that will forever be my favorite), but it came in a close second. Definitely give it a shot, especially since the series is complete, because some of the books end in cliffhangers.

message 20: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 1351 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
I finished the Grant County series by Karin Slaughter and I got up-to-date in the Stellar series by Rebecca Houde. Book 3 comes out later this year.

I started the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris and I will be continuing.

I moved forward in one series: the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher.

I really enjoyed Disorder by Rebecca Clark.

I had one of the best reading months I have had in 4-5 months. I'm hoping to continue this pace.

message 21: by Jonetta (new)

Alyssa wrote: "Thank you! I LOVED the Infidelity series. It was classic Aleatha with many twis..."

Excellent! I'll jump in.

message 22: by Jonetta (new)

Melissa wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
I finished the Grant County series by Karin Slaughter and I got up-to-date in the Stellar series by Rebecca Houde. Book 3 comes ..."

Wow, Melissa! I've followed your past struggles and this is really good news. You even survived Grant County. Congratulations...truly.

message 23: by Angela (new)

Angela | 749 comments Looks like a great month for everyone.

Yes I completed one series.
I finished Bloodsounder's Arc by Jeff Salyards.

Yes I started two news series and plan to continue on with both
Silent in the Grave The Lady Julia Grey series
Discount Armageddon The Incryptid series

Yes moved along in two series.
Deadhouse Gates Malazan #2
Dead Beat Dresden Files #7

1 five star read. Deadhouse Gates. It was amazing and I really think it's now my favourite fantasy book of all time. Just the writing is phenomenal, the world epic and characters intriguing.

I'm pleased with my reading overall. 5 books completed in a month is fantastic for me and they were all well worth reading. I had hoped to get Iron Lake read last month, but instead it's going to be my first book for February.

message 24: by Jonetta (new)

Angela wrote: "Looks like a great month for everyone.1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?Yes I completed one series.I finished Bloodsounder's Arc by Jeff Salyards.
2. Did you s..."

Yay! So glad you had a good month. And, the Iron Lake discussion will be waiting for you when you get to it.

message 25: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinmy) | 2372 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
None

I started three new series in January:
-Wanton Dairymaid series by Tessa Dare
-Mickey Bolitar series by Harlan Coben
-Girl-Bachelor series by Laura Lee Guhrke

I moved forward in two series:
Troubleshooter series (2 books) - Suzanne Brockmann
King and Maxwell series - David Baldacci

I didn't have any 5-star books, but I liked every book I read that was part of a series.

Well, since I started only six new series last year and I've already began three this year, I'm not sure I'm off to a great start. But all of these new series were very good. ;)

message 26: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (trakka) | 1363 comments Jonetta wrote: "I'm no longer worried about you Tracey! What an outstanding month and I'm salivating over your 5-star reads. ..."

Thanks Jonetta :-)

message 27: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (trakka) | 1363 comments Robin wrote: "Well, since I started only six new series last year and I've already began three this year, I'm not sure I'm off to a great start. But all of these new series were very good. ;).."

Oh I am in the same boat with starting new series. Maybe the thinking is new year, new series and we will progress them nicely as the year goes on!

message 28: by Jonetta (new)

Robin wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month? None 2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will you continue?
I started three new series in January:
-Wanton D..."

I loved your statement "I liked every book I read that was part of a series," which includes the new ones you started. If I recall correctly, you were blazing through your series the last few months. I'd label this month a win!

message 29: by Jonetta (new)

I completed two, Highland Guard by Monica McCarty and The Bodyguards by Cindy Gerard.

Yes, I started three new series: Sookie Stackhouse by Charlaine Harris, Destination Love by Jo Watson, and McKinney/Walker by Claudia Connor. I plan to continue all of them.

I moved forward in four series: Harry Bosch by Michael Connelly, Will Trent by Karin Slaughter, The McCarthys of Gansett Island by Marie Force and Romantic Suspense by Karen Rose.

I had three exceptional books this month: Criminal. The Closers and Almost a Bride. They were all wonderful in very different ways.

I didn't finish as many books as usual but enjoyed every book I read! I had a couple of very nice surprises, including a sci-fi novel that captured my imagination and attention. I'm pleased with the month.
Criminal (Will Trent, #6) by Karin Slaughter The Closers (Harry Bosch, #11; Harry Bosch Universe, #13) by Michael Connelly Almost a Bride (Destination Love, #2) by Jo Watson

message 30: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1631 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?

I completed one series - not hard since it was only a three books - the Sully Carter trilogy by Neeley Tucker.

I started only one new series, the Cork O'Connor series, and I plan to continue with it.

No.

No five star books but I really enjoyed both the Sully Carter books (read books 2 and 3) and the first Cork O'Connor book. For the Sully Carter books I just really liked the main character and the twists and turns in the story.

It was a slow reading month for me. I only read five books (and am carrying over two books into February). That said, I really liked almost all of them - gave four of the five 4 star ratings.

I did, however, manage to clear away a lot of the backlog on my dvr so it wasn't a totally unproductive month. ;-)

message 31: by Laura (new)

Laura | 2299 comments Jonetta wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
I completed two, Highland Guard by Monica McCarty and The Bodyguards by Cindy Gerard.

2. Did you start any new series? If so, w..."

Good month Jonetta! The McCarthys and Walker brothers are series I want to start.

message 32: by Jonetta (new)

Veronica wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month? I completed one series - not hard since it was only a three books - the Sully Carter trilogy by Neeley Tucker.
2. Did you start..."

Woo hoo for the DVR! I had to take a break, too, to clear out some old shows. Hope you had fun:)

Glad you enjoyed Cork O'Connor!

message 33: by Jonetta (new)

Laura wrote: "Good month Jonetta! The McCarthys and Walker brothers are series I want to start. ..."

You will love both of them, Laura.

message 34: by Laura (new)

Laura | 2299 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?

I got current in 2 series, Oxford by Lauren Layne and Manwhore series by Katy Evans.
I finished the All Fired Up series by Taylor Lee. This book was a disappointment. The others were very good.

I started the Frenched Series by Melanie Harlow I read #1 and #1.5 loved them, and The Glass Sisters by Laura Griffin. Also great, and The Donnigans by Marie Harte , will continue all.

3. Did you move forward in any series? How many? 1 Karen Rose #11.

My favorites this month Someone like You I Wish You Were Mine Playboy Pilot Womanizer Frenched

5. Overall Summary of Month I read 10 books which is more than my usual. I loved all but 2.

message 35: by Jonetta (new)

Laura wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month? I got current in 2 series, Oxford by Lauren Layne and Manwhore series by Katy Evans.
I finished the All Fired Up series by Taylo..."

Great job, Laura! Congrats on exceeding your normal reading level. What a nice start for the year.

message 36: by Allison (last edited Feb 03, 2017 09:02AM) (new)

Allison (rainy-day-reads) 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?

Yes! I completed Snow Like Ashes, which I also started in January.

1. Snow Like Ashes - Sara Raasch (YA Fantasy - also finished)
2. Horseman Riding By - R.F. Delderfield (Historical Fiction - dropping)
3. Regency London - Michelle Diener (Historical Romance/Mystery - continuing)
4. Rivers of London - Ben Aaronovitch (Urban Fantasy - dropping)
5. The Oversight - Charlie Fletcher (Historical Fantasy - not sure yet)
6. The Broken Earth - N.K. Jemisin (Apocalyptic Fantasy - I think I'll continue)

1. A Symphony of Echoes (Series #2) ★★★★1/2
2. To Defy a King (Series #4) ★★★

I rated Snow Like Ashes and Frost Like Night with 5 stars. They were absorbing, had some good twists, character development, an interesting world / magic system, and that inexplicable emotional aspect that makes a 5 star rating for me and allows me to overlook flaws. I thought the whole series was an example of YA fantasy done well and I'm glad I saved it up for my winter break.

I had a really good month, and enjoyed most of what I read.

message 37: by Jonetta (new)

Allison wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month? Yes! I completed Snow Like Ashes, which I also started in January. 2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will..."

Excellent, Allison! You had a very eclectic mix of genres this month. Love that!

message 38: by Mary Beth (last edited Feb 03, 2017 08:18PM) (new)

Mary Beth  | 974 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
Yes 1 Mercy Kilpatrick series by Kendra Elliot There is only one book so far.

Yes 5 of them, Sookie Stackhouse, Cork O'Connor, Mercy Kilpatrick, Joe O'Loughlin, and Helen Grace and I will continue all of these.

Moved forward in two series. Dresden Files #5 Death Masksand Al Sheridan and Gretchen Lowell #3 Evil at Heart

The Last Child John Hart is such a fantastic writer.
The Unseeing This was a historical mystery and was done so well. It was a netgalley book.
A Merciful Death Loved this story, so good by Kendra Elliot-definately 5 stars to me. I will be reading more of this author.
Also loved Suspect OMG! I think this series is going to be incredible. Loved it!
Also I almost forgot Evil at Heart. This one was a dark thriller. Very suspenseful

It was really hard to decide what to read. I am not going to have a free month ever again. I will be more organized and put my books down for the month. Between the library and netgalley it distracted me. I only read 11 books. Thats OK though because I had 5 books that were 4.5 stars and one 5 stars. They were all so good! So loved my reading experience this month.

message 39: by Lauren (new)

Sounds like you read some fantastic books, Mary Beth. I'm going to check them out. The O'Loughlin series looks fantastic.