2021 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2017 > Chaotic reading - Auntie Terror's 20 or more

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Auntie Terror (new)

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) | 398 comments I hope I'm doing this right.

I just started on goodreads this year and have been quite annoyed that good reads knows only about 2/3 of my personal "library".
Nonetheless, I have hoped to be able to do more "start to finish" reading by being motivated/controlled through making it public. So far I often randomly pick up new books and abandon others halfway through, only to do the same again afterwards.

I call my challenge chaotic reading because I won't even try to make a list beforehand, or a plan on what to read when, or set a general direction to my reading genre-wise.
So the new bit is that I have given myself the rule that books started in 2017 must be finished in 2017.

Compared to many others, 20 books is a modest aim. Technically, I've done 1/4 of it already - but I'm not fully counting the children's book(s).

I will add my reading up to now when I'm on good reads via the homepage (because I seriously don't get how to add the fancy little book covers via app).

Cheers,
Auntie Terror

message 2: by Auntie Terror (last edited Apr 04, 2017 02:04AM) (new)

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) | 398 comments My so-far-list:
1/20 Kräuterzauber Ein ABC der Heil- & Zauberpflanzen by Dido Nitz "Kräuterzauber"
Der Kleine Mondrabe by Marcus Pfister "Der kleine Mondrabe"
... and "Felix" by Christian von Aster - which Goodreads does not know of.
(I count those three as one, as they are so short.)

2/20: Alice vs. Wunderland by Christian von Aster "Alice vs. Wunderland"
Vampirismus. Der Biss zur Unsterblichkeit by Norbert Borrmann "Vampirismus"
... and "Der Wasserspeier Fledermeier" by Christian von Aster - which Goodreads, yet again, does not know of.
(I also count these as only one, as two are short, and the big one I had first started in 2016, then put aside for quite a while.)

3/20: The Invisible Library (The Invisible Library, #1) by Genevieve Cogman "The Invisible Library"

message 3: by Auntie Terror (last edited Apr 04, 2017 02:03AM) (new)

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) | 398 comments Book 4/20 and first Group Read finished:
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #1) by Douglas Adams "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

message 4: by Auntie Terror (last edited Apr 04, 2017 02:04AM) (new)

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) | 398 comments Book 5/20: Embers by Sándor Márai "Die Glut"

Once again I had the strange experience of enjoying a book a lot while feeling an increasing dislike for the main character whom you follow through the story, solely from his point of view.

message 5: by Auntie Terror (last edited Feb 13, 2017 12:50AM) (new)

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) | 398 comments I have chosen not to count graphic novels/mangas (as I discovered that I can do one in 1-2 hours) and audiobooks (because I can do those as a sideline) for my challenge. Somehow I feel it isn't quite the same as reading a book concerning the quality of time I want to spend, and thus would be cheating on myself.

Therefore Per Anhalter ins All keine Panik by Douglas Adams and Tokyo Ghoul, tome 1 (Tokyo Ghoul, #1) by Sui Ishida don't count to my challenge at all - even though goodreads says otherwise, and so I have changed the "official" challenge number for the goodreads engine to 40.

message 6: by Auntie Terror (last edited Apr 04, 2017 01:49AM) (new)

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) | 398 comments Not counting 東京喰種トーキョーグール 2 Tokyo Guru 2 (Tokyo Ghoul, #2) by Sui Ishida 東京喰種トーキョーグール 3 Tokyo Guru 3 (Tokyo Ghoul, #3) by Sui Ishida 東京喰種トーキョーグール 4 Tokyo Guru 4 (Tokyo Ghoul, #4) by Sui Ishida 東京喰種トーキョーグール 5 Tokyo Guru 5 (Tokyo Ghoul, #5) by Sui Ishida 東京喰種トーキョーグール 6 Tokyo Guru 6 (Tokyo Ghoul, #6) by Sui Ishida ,

I can now claim Book No 6/20 of my unofficial count:
Die Midaq-Gasse by Naguib Mahfouz "Die Midaq-Gasse"

message 7: by Auntie Terror (last edited Apr 04, 2017 01:49AM) (new)

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) | 398 comments Finished 7/20:
Die Tochter der Goldzeit by Jo Zybell "Die Tochter der Goldzeit"

message 8: by Auntie Terror (last edited Apr 04, 2017 01:52AM) (new)

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) | 398 comments Finished 8/20:
Die geheime Geschichte by Donna Tartt "Die geheime Geschichte"
This also was a mini-group-read in another group for me, and my first for the TBR-Randomizer-Challenge (8 books for me) here.

(Not counting 東京喰種トーキョーグール 7 Tokyo Guru 7 to 東京喰種トーキョーグール 14 Tokyo Guru 14 and 東京喰種トーキョーグール:re 1 Tokyo Guru:re 1 and Tokyo Ghoul: re 2.)

message 9: by Auntie Terror (last edited Apr 04, 2017 01:51AM) (new)

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) | 398 comments Finished 9/20:
The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) by Patrick Ness "The Knife of never letting go"

It also was my first try at TBR-Twins here in March.

message 10: by Auntie Terror (last edited Apr 04, 2017 01:53AM) (new)

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) | 398 comments Finished 10/20:
How to Build a Girl by Caitlin Moran "How to build a girl"

This was the second to count to my TBR-Randomizer-Challenge here, too.

message 11: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) | 245 comments Would you please include the titles of each book you read.

message 12: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4514 comments Auntie Terror wrote: "I hope I'm doing this right.

I just started on goodreads this year and have been quite annoyed that good reads knows only about 2/3 of my personal "library".
Nonetheless, I have hoped to be able t..."

Nice progress! :) Looks like you might exceed your goal ^^

There is no right or wrong way to do this, it's your thread :)

message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3260 comments Good luck reaching your goal! You're off to a nice start :)

message 14: by Auntie Terror (new)

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) | 398 comments Sorry for the delay in replies. I hadn't checked on this thread since last finishing a book. ^^'

@Nancy from NJ:
Done - I hope it helps. I still left the book covers as actual links to the books.

@Winter: I do hope so because my TBR pile keeps growing. But I honestly had now clue to assessing how much I might be able to read in a year. 20 books seemed a lot in January. ;)

@Lisa: Thanks a lot - good reading to you, too. ;)

And also, I can claim 11/20 now:
The Masked City (The Invisible Library, #2) by Genevieve Cogman "The Masked City"

(Not counting 東京喰種トーキョーグール:re 3 Tokyo Guru:re 3 for being a manga.)

message 15: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4514 comments It usually does before joining this group ;) My reading doubled at least.

message 16: by Auntie Terror (new)

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) | 398 comments I was hoping for this effect when I started on Goodreads. I think I spend more time reading again than I did before. It does annoy my partner a bit, I think, as I revert to a book as soon as he turns on something boring on TV - but well... ^^

It certainly motivates me to read with feedback on here.

message 17: by Auntie Terror (new)

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) | 398 comments Now I can claim 12/20 of my personal count:
Candide oder Der Optimismus by Voltaire - Candide oder der Optimismus by Voltaire.

(Not counting: Wilde Reise durch die Nacht for being an audiobook.)

message 18: by Auntie Terror (new)

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) | 398 comments I'm experiencing a little setback this week. I've got myself such a bad cold, I just can't concentrate on reading. I pick up a book and read a few lines, and then I have to go back to where I started because my bloody brain hasn't taken in a single word of what I just read. Really, really annoying ...

message 19: by Auntie Terror (new)

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) | 398 comments Further setback here. Only one week left before the big hiking trip, and so much still to do and this k about, I got into a veritable mental blockade. Now I'm simply too excited, tense and nervous to read because I might forget something vital for the trip or die during the flight there because of anxiety... -.-'

message 20: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Hi Auntie Terror, where are you going on your trip? I always get very excited before a big trip too! Completely understandable that your mind isn't really up to reading at this moment. Hope you have a great trip!

message 21: by Auntie Terror (new)

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) | 398 comments Thank you, Susy :)

I'm going to do the West Highland Way in Scotland with some friends, backpacks, tents and all.

One of my friends and I have decided to take along two books each only none of which either of us know, and it's really hard to choose. (We probably won't be reading that much at all - but two weeks with only so few books is kind of scary.)
So far I've picked Kafka on the Shore, as I'm somewhere in the middle of it, and one of these five:

Welcome to Night Vale
The Humans
Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency
The Castle of Otranto, Vathek & Nightmare Abbey
Holy Cow

Any suggestions/help for choosing the second book to take along from this list is greatly appreciated! :D

message 22: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3260 comments Auntie Terror wrote: "Sorry for the delay in replies. I hadn't checked on this thread since last finishing a book. ^^'

@Winter: I do hope so because my TBR pile keeps growing. But I honestly had now clue to assessing how much I might be able to read in a year. 20 books seemed a lot in January. ;)
..."

I know exactly what you mean. 2017 was my first year on Goodreads setting a reading goal, so I had no clue how much I would be able to read throughout the year. I started out with a humble goal of 12 books, thinking one book per month was extremely optimistic with school, work and life in general happening.
By the end of March, I had surpassed that initial goal and have since changed it to 20 books. Now that I'm at 16/20 I guess I'll be changing it again :) But I much prefer changing it bit by bit than having an extravagant goal that would just end up stressing me out :D

I attempted reading Dirk Gently's Hollistic Detective Agency after watching the Netflix show and thoroughly hated it. Douglas Adams and me just don't get along, I guess.
Kafka on the Shore on the other hand, is one of my Haruki Murakami favorites :) Are you enjoying it so far?

Anyways, that sounds like a fun trip :) Hope you have a great one.

message 23: by Auntie Terror (new)

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) | 398 comments That's why I picked a low goal for myself, too. I think I'd feel pressured with 100 books per year and wouldn't get any reading done in the end. :D I have a goal in this topic where I only count books, and a higher with the goodreads challenge function, where I also count audio books and mangas.

I did it the other way around with Dirk Gently: I started with the second book about him, then was annoyed by the Netflix series, and now I intend to read the first book. But I do enjoy Douglas Adams as an author in general so far.

message 24: by Auntie Terror (last edited May 24, 2017 11:56PM) (new)

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) | 398 comments Finally, 13/20:
Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami - Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami.

(Not counting Ensel und Krete: Ein Märchen aus Zamonien, Die Känguru-Chroniken and Der Quantenzauberer for being audiobooks)

description
This is my battered copy of Kafka which went the whole West Highland Way with me in a not very book-friendly, stuffed backpack. ;)

Also I now raised my "official" reading challenge on goodreads to 55 because of all the audiobooks and mangas goodreads counts as regular books.

Happy Towel Day, everybody!

message 25: by Auntie Terror (new)

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) | 398 comments Book 14/20:
Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison - Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison

I was very impressed, I must say, and the end left me out of breath for a moment.

message 26: by Auntie Terror (last edited Jun 28, 2017 05:44AM) (new)

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) | 398 comments Book 15/20:
Northern Lights (His Dark Materials, #1) by Philip Pullman - Northern Lights by Philip Pullman.

I enjoyed the book, good, solid, entertaining fantasy fiction - but not that exceptional, I thought.

message 27: by Auntie Terror (new)

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) | 398 comments Book 16/20:
Solange die Nachtigall singt by Antonia Michaelis - Solange die Nachtigall sint by Antonia Michaelis.

I found the book boring, sadly. A case of good intentions and interesting ideas, but bad execution. At least the end was not quite as forseeable as the rest of the book...

message 28: by Auntie Terror (new)

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) | 398 comments Book 17/20:

Ein Mann namens Ove by Fredrik Backman - A man named Ove by Fredrik Backman.

Very enjoyable, and a lot less superficially humourous than the film. My favourite character was the cat.

message 29: by Auntie Terror (last edited Jul 06, 2017 01:53AM) (new)

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) | 398 comments It seems I have unwittingly decided to do a little Fantasy Marathon this month, starting with the 41st Discworld Novel, and now going on with The Hanging Tree, A Wizard of Earthsea, A Game of Thrones, and The Ocean at the End of the Lane. And there's Rumo on audio, which doesn't quite count...

Book 18/20 can be claimed already, also for my own private 5 Fantastics Tournament:
The Shepherd's Crown (Discworld, #41) by Terry Pratchett - The Shepherd's Crown, by Terry Pratchett.

I think I never was this sad to finish a book series, including when I finished the complete Sherlock Holmes writings by Doyle. Discworld might have saved my sanity during my studies at university, and I somehow had hoped the series would go on "forever" - which obviously was a childish hope from the start.
But I will say that it was a worthy ending, with Granny Weatherwax, one of Sir Terry's longest-running (and, I suppose, most beloved) characters, accompanying the author to the other side. Though, of course, she will always be everywhere... It is good that the last novel ended in a way which allows you to believe that Great A'Tuin will glide on through time and space as always, the only difference being that you no longer will hear about it.

On a less sentimental note:
Lets see if I can pull my 5 Fantastics Tournament through till the 31st. :D

message 30: by Auntie Terror (last edited Jul 12, 2017 08:39AM) (new)

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) | 398 comments Book 19/20, and also 5 Fantastics Tournament No. 2:

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman - The Ocean at the End of the Lane, by Neil Gaiman.

It was a surprisingly dark read, I hadn't expected it to be this sinister. And also I hadn't expected this much folklore. But I liked both a lot.

message 31: by Auntie Terror (last edited Jul 29, 2017 12:24AM) (new)

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) | 398 comments Book 20/20, and also 5 Fantastics Tournament No. 3, as I spontaneously twin-read it and so swapped it for A Wizard of Earthsea:

Die Seufzende Wendeltreppe (Lockwood & Co., #1) by Jonathan Stroud - The Screaming Staircase (German edition), by Jonathan Stroud.

I possibly would have grown completely addicted with this as a teen, and even now I was so entertained by the book that I ordered the next two books of the series. Sadly, the postman seems to have mislaid my package...

message 32: by Auntie Terror (new)

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) | 398 comments Book 21/20, and also 5 Fantastics Tournament No. 4:
A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin - A Game of Thrones, by George R.R. Martin - though in the fancy leather-cloth edition. ;-P

It is a well-written fantasy-historical fiction genre-bastard novel. It is neither the redifinition of the fantasy genre, nor outstandingly progressive concerning the representation of female characters. I enjoyed reading it, and I will continue, hoping against all odds that Mr Martin might deign it worthy of him to effing get the last two volumes out prehumously so Brandon Sanderson doesn't have to write them "post mortem".

message 33: by Agnieszka (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 619 comments Auntie Terror wrote: "...I just started on goodreads this year and have been quite annoyed that good reads knows only about 2/3 of my personal "library"..."

You can always add books to the library or make a request to do so by the many librarians all over the world in the Goodreads Librarians Group.
If you decide to go for option 2 it would help us if you add a link to your book edition - preferably from Amazon but other shops or author's web pages work as well.
If you want to add the books yourself it's best to start at the authors GR page (if already in the GR library) since there are sometimes several authors with the same name. You only need to remember you won't be able to make any changes if you save before entered all data as long as you are not a librarian - I made that mistake at the beginning as well.

I've noticed there was no cover for your first book - I fixed it. If you have any books without covers you can request to add them in the librarians group as well.

Have fun!

message 34: by Auntie Terror (new)

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) | 398 comments Thank you for that hint (and for repairing my entry, of course). I will have a closer look at the Librarians Group, then. :)

I have tried to enter a few books myself, always without a cover to them - as I'm not sure about copyright infringements if I use, say, the publisher's picture.

message 35: by Auntie Terror (new)

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) | 398 comments Claiming book 22/20 and (though one day late) also 5 Fantastics Tournament No. 5:
The Hanging Tree (Peter Grant, #6) by Ben Aaronovitch - The Hanging Tree, by Ben Aaronovitch.

It is slower to get to full speed, but offers many bits of additional information on the world as such, I felt. Also, some loose ends get picked up again...

message 36: by Auntie Terror (new)

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) | 398 comments Finally done with book 23/20:
Howl, Kaddish and Other Poems by Allen Ginsberg - Howl, Kaddish and Other Poems, by Allen Ginsberg.

I find it extremely difficult to read poetry quickly, and even more difficult to write a review about it... All I can really say is that Ginsberg's poetry affected me.

message 37: by Auntie Terror (new)

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) | 398 comments Book 24/20:

A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, #2) by George R.R. Martin - A Clash of Kings, by George R. R. Martin.

I liked this better than the first one, and I have hopes that Arya might turn into the interesting female character of the whole thing...

message 38: by Auntie Terror (last edited Sep 12, 2017 01:02AM) (new)

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) | 398 comments Book 25/20:
Der Distelfink by Donna Tartt - The Goldfinch, by Donna Tartt.

It sadly was a disappointment for me.

message 39: by Auntie Terror (last edited Sep 12, 2017 01:08AM) (new)

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) | 398 comments Book 26/20:

Things Fall Apart (The African Trilogy, #1) by Chinua Achebe - Things Fall Apart, by Chinua Achebe.

This was an impressive and fascinating read, despite it being merely 200 and something pages in my edition.

Also I managed Preludes & Nocturnes, Antoinette kehrt zurück, Der alte Weidenmann and Die Zwielichtgestalten over the weekend, though I'm uncertain whether to count them or not.

message 40: by Auntie Terror (last edited Sep 25, 2017 01:07PM) (new)

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) | 398 comments For the last quarter of 2017 I actually made myself a little plan for each month and gave a "motivational" title to each of my efforts:

October: Fantastic Halloween
A Feast for Crows (buddy read)
The Castle of Otranto, Vathek & Nightmare Abbey (for Halloween and TBR-Randomizer Challenge)
Norse Mythology (group read)
American Gods or Oneiros: Tödlicher Fluch (another group read)

November: Randomizer Clean-up
A Dance with Dragons (buddy read)
Civil Disobedience and Other Essays (tbr-randomizer-challenge)
The Moonstone (tbr-randomizer-challenge)
Das Buch ohne Namen (tbr-randomizer-challenge)
Wild, melancholisch und erhebend. Die Brontës in Haworth (tbr-randomizer-challenge)
Sagen aus Deutschen Landen (tbr-randomizer-challenge)

December: Space Oddity
The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet
The War of the Worlds
2001: A Space Odyssey
Sleeping Giants
Die Krone der Sterne

It is ambitious, and I shall see how I get through with it. I also need to refrain from TBR-Twins because of my planning, which is a pity, but I will get back to that next year then. :-)

I also have learned a few things about my reading habits from my first 3/4 of my first year on Goodreads and will plan my challenge for next year differently, setting myself more goals inside my number of books and using the TBR-Randomizer differently, too.

All this said, wish me luck. ^^'

message 41: by Auntie Terror (last edited Sep 28, 2017 12:04PM) (new)

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) | 398 comments Book 27/20:

A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, #3) by George R.R. Martin - A Storm of Swords, by G.R.R. Martin.

Loved the greater presence of fantastic elements in the book, but felt it was the weakest of the three I read so far.

Now I need to finish teh Horowitz-Holmes to start on my three-month-plan on Sunday. :-)

message 42: by Nik (new)

Nik (bleepnik) | 852 comments Good luck! That sounds like a great plan. And I'm super psyched that you plan to read The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet. It's one of my favourite books and I hope you enjoy it; I look forward to your thoughts. =)

I also need to re-think my annual challenge and group challenges next year. I easily surpassed my goal this year, but the cost was too great. It's not that I didn't enjoy it, but I was stressed out about it and I sacrificed other things I also enjoy for its sake. Next year, I hope to strike a better balance. That said, I am really happy that I'm still reading this year. Last year, I stopped in March for whatever reason and I'm pleased that my interest hasn't shifted completely to something else.

message 43: by Auntie Terror (last edited Nov 12, 2017 03:19AM) (new)

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) | 398 comments Thank you, Nik. :)
I am very much looking forward to that one, too. If it hadn't been for reading-buddies and -groups, I might have put aside what I was reading and started on the Small, Angry Planet right away after reading into it a bit. ;)

Oh, that's a pity. Somehow takes the icing of your achievement if it makes you feel you missed out on other things. I am amazed and awed by some of the reading goals I see on here, and I know I could never get to that myself. There are too many other things I love to do where I just can't have a book in front of me at the same time. I might raise my goal for next year a little, but not too much. I feel it would demotivate me if I raised it too high.

This said, I prepared for October a little today before plunging into the last Horowitz pages:
October: Fantastic Halloween
A Feast for Crows (buddy read)
Norse Mythology (group read)
The Castle of Otranto, Vathek & Nightmare Abbey (for Halloween and TBR-Randomizer Challenge)
American Gods (another group read)
Oneiros: Tödlicher Fluch (another buddy read)

message 44: by Auntie Terror (new)

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) | 398 comments Books 28/20 and 29/20:
Das Geheimnis des Weißen Bandes (Sherlock Holmes) by Anthony Horowitz Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman

Both were great books. And I had a good reading day yesterday. ;-)

message 45: by Auntie Terror (new)

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) | 398 comments Book 30/20:
American Gods by Neil Gaiman

It was a demanding book concerning mythological knowledge and attention to characters which pop up (and there are so many). But I enjoyed it, especially some of the cameo-appearances of deities.

message 46: by Auntie Terror (last edited Oct 18, 2017 11:17PM) (new)

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) | 398 comments Book 31/20:
Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops by Jen Campbell

As a bookseller, I'd actually recommend this as a must-read for trainees. ;-) Also, it's hilarious.

message 47: by Auntie Terror (last edited Oct 24, 2017 12:40PM) (new)

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) | 398 comments Book 32/20:
Oneiros Tödlicher Fluch by Markus Heitz - Oneiros, by Markus Heitz.

I wouldn't have gone through with this if it hadn't been a buddy read. And I've decided, once and for all, that this author isn't meant for me.

But it means that I'm done three fifth with my october to-read-list.

message 48: by Auntie Terror (last edited Nov 12, 2017 03:20AM) (new)

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) | 398 comments Book 34/20:
A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, #4) by George R.R. Martin - A Feast for Crows, by G. R. R. Martin.

This was the hardest of the series for me to get through yet... And it caused a slight backlog in my reading plans.

Book 33/20:
More Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops by Jen Campbell - More weird things customers say in bookshops.

This is a very good follow-up to the first one. :-D

However, I'm starting on my belated November reads now:

November: Randomizer Clean-up
A Dance with Dragons (buddy read)
Civil Disobedience and Other Essays (tbr-randomizer-challenge)
The Moonstone (tbr-randomizer-challenge)
Das Buch ohne Namen (tbr-randomizer-challenge)
Wild, melancholisch und erhebend. Die Brontës in Haworth (tbr-randomizer-challenge)
Sagen aus Deutschen Landen (tbr-randomizer-challenge)
The Castle of Otranto, Vathek & Nightmare Abbey (TBR-Randomizer Challenge)

I learnt that the TBR-Randomizer-Challenge is a great thing. But I'll need to do it differently next year: As some others do, I'll only pick the next random book once I'll be done with the previous one so I don't put the next one off for so long because I don't feel like it.

Wish me luck ;-)

message 49: by Auntie Terror (new)

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) | 398 comments Book 35/20:
Wild, melancholisch und erhebend. Die Brontës in Haworth by Ann Dinsdale - A Bronte Biography, by Ann Dinsdale.

It was very interesting, although only an overview, including the three famous sisters, the brother, and the father in more detail.

message 50: by Ilona, Welcome Committee (new)

Ilona | 3710 comments Wow, you've almost doubled you initial goal! Congratulations! :)

« previous 1