Literary Horror discussion

Hair Side, Flesh Side
This topic is about Hair Side, Flesh Side
Monthly Reads > Hair Side, Flesh Side - February 2017

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Randolph (us227381) | 2 comments Here is the discussion thread. I was tempted to have two threads a la Twix candy bars, but my better judgement thankfully took over.

message 2: by Marie-Therese (last edited Feb 02, 2017 12:35AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Marie-Therese (mariethrse) | 550 comments Haha! Maybe this is more like Reese's Peanut Butter Cups: "two great tastes that taste great together". ;-)

Tony | 53 comments Great! This is another book that was on my 'to read' list.

Bill Hsu (billhsu) | 1105 comments Awesome.

Bill Hsu (billhsu) | 1105 comments I know everyone loves ebooks these days. But I highly recommend picking up the paper edition. It's really a lovely and tactile package.

Randolph (us227381) | 2 comments I see Helen Marshall is the editor of Year's Best Weird Fiction volume 4.

Marie-Therese (mariethrse) | 550 comments Not sure why, because these should be precisely my cup of bitter tea, but the first three stories in this collection just didn't work for me. I found rather them tedious and overwritten, with nothing fresh to offer and not quite enough skill to make the old tropes interesting. Marshall's voice in these seems oddly humourless and stilted; old-fashioned but not in a good way. The prose lacks zest.

I think I'll set this anthology aside until later in the month as it may just be me that's currently lacking discernment (or, at least, a clean literary palate). I'm currently reading Vila-Matas and contemporary science fiction and perhaps Marshall's more discreet charms are overpowered in comparison.

Randolph (us227381) | 2 comments I finished this and still need to analyze a bit or deconstruct or whatever. I liked some of the stories a lot and was ho-hum about some. There was nothing I hated.

One impression I had was that some of these were more like structured tone poems that sometimes worked and sometimes not. It was like "I have this idea, and I'll set it here, and I'll have the narrator be this person and have them be only this reliable and have this perspective, and I'll write in this style, etc." then, "okay now I'm ready to write," but without a real narrative to tell. Too self conscious but not compelling for the reader. I kept thinking: "Oh, this is that kind of story," when I was a few paragraphs in.

All that said, I quite liked some of the stories, like the lost manuscript and the saint's relic stories. I'll post more detail later when it won't spoil the fun.

Bill Hsu (billhsu) | 1105 comments Marie-Therese wrote: "Not sure why, because these should be precisely my cup of bitter tea, but the first three stories in this collection just didn't work for me. "
Ah well. I was going to report that I reread "Eyelid" last night during a bout of insomnia, and it made my night. Maybe a bit shrill, but in a way that resonated with me.

message 10: by Ctgt (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ctgt I read this collection a year ago and enjoyed it quite a bit. Sandition was a personal favorite.

message 11: by Jane (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jane | 12 comments Marie-Therese wrote: "Not sure why, because these should be precisely my cup of bitter tea, but the first three stories in this collection just didn't work for me. I found rather them tedious and overwritten, with nothi..."

Interesting. I couldn't finish the first story. Usually I read two or three short story collections at once, rotating through the various stories, but right off the bat this didn't grab me at all so I dropped it. I'll try it again later ... a kind of "oh really?" bored reaction initially.

message 12: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill Hsu (billhsu) | 1105 comments I'm still enjoying this, through various bouts of insomnia. "Sandition" was lovely, though the ending wasn't that satisfying. The next few stories were weaker. The writing is not as tight as I usually like. But for the most part, I do care for the characters and the bitter situations they find themselves in.

Marie-Therese (mariethrse) | 550 comments I need to get back to this book. Right now I am so wrapped up in Catling's The Vorrh that I've set aside pretty much everything else.

message 14: by Jane (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jane | 12 comments I didn't like the first story that much but really liked Sanditon - fascinating on a number of levels. Looking forward to the rest of the stories.

message 15: by Suki (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suki St Charles (goodreadscomsuki_stcharles) | 38 comments I enjoyed these quite a bit. I'm just recovering from a bad flu, so the stories had a very surrealistic and abstract quality for me. I'm not sure if that was more the flu than the stories, but I don't want to do a reread right now with a clear head, because I liked the fuzzy, mystical quality they had, and I don't want to find out that it was all (literally) in my head. I think Sanditon and The Art of Dying were my favorites.