Book Club - Paris discussion

Next Book > 2017 Book #1 - UNDERGROUND

Comments Showing 1-50 of 94 (94 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Mimi (new)

Mimi | 126 comments buckle up kids, because this book club ain't done with the darkness. strap on your headlamps and grab a canary - we're going underground! i want to use the word "spelunking" but that always feels inappropriate, somehow. better just post your book picks for sending us all down the rabbit hole.

message 2: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn Lamb (evelynjlamb) I suggested this topic because I've been wanting to read The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead and Underground Airlines by Ben Winters. A bit literal, I admit, but that's what I've got.

message 3: by Lara (new)

Lara | 296 comments I'm still scratching my head for suggestions...

Evelyn, unfortunately each of us can only suggest one book...
So good luck choosing between the two because they both sound fantastic?

message 4: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn Lamb (evelynjlamb) Ah, I'll pick Underground Airlines, then.

message 5: by Alan (new)

Alan | 172 comments Mod
I pick this little beauty:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Circ...

p.s. not really

message 6: by Lara (new)

Lara | 296 comments I'd say you never know enough about the Glasgow Underground, so I'd root for that one!

Have decided on Colum McCann's This Side of Brightness, which is supposed to be set in the Manhattan subway tunnels.
This Side of Brightness weaves historical fact with fictional truth, creating a remarkable tale of death, racism, homelessness--and yes, love--spanning four generations.
Fun!

message 7: by Tania (new)

Tania U This Side of Brightness does sound very fun!

I'm gonna suggest Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. Listened some months ago to the BBC dramatisation and quite liked it. Set in London, underground.

message 8: by Alan (new)

Alan | 172 comments Mod
This is the first thing that popped into my head when thinking of this topic, althought its a film so not a valid choice:

https://www.amazon.com/C-H-U-D-John-H...

I rented this from a van that drove around my home town when I was about 11 and it scared the bejesus out of me and my brothers!

message 9: by Mimi (new)

Mimi | 126 comments i'm sure you can coordinate with the film meet, alan; surely c.h.u.d. belongs to the art-film canon.

for this month, i'm suggesting The Yiddish Policemen's Union, because i feel like something a little weird. apparently there is a criminal underground and actual underground tunnels that both factor importantly in the story.

message 10: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 496 comments I can suggest Russian 2033 metro . it's dark apocalyptic and Russian:)

message 11: by Justin (new)

Justin Hood | 628 comments Metroland by Julian Barnes, please!

Watch out for spoilers:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrola...

message 12: by Mimi (new)

Mimi | 126 comments it's shaping up to be a difficult choice this month - so far i want to read everything. dammit! i'll leave suggestions open another couple of days and post the doodle midweek.

message 13: by René (new)

René (cigro) | 643 comments Mod
I'm going to suggest The Velvet Underground & Nico because I've been wanting to read more about this fabulous band.

message 14: by Lara (new)

Lara | 296 comments Whaaaa I didn't know we could submit that! The 33⅓ series is for the most part crazy good

message 15: by Justin (new)

Justin Hood | 628 comments Normally SOMEONE says fiction only...

message 16: by Mimi (new)

Mimi | 126 comments hold on, i thought we prided ourselves on being the premier anything-goes parisian bookclub. change your suggestions now, or forever hold your peace.

message 17: by Lara (new)

Lara | 296 comments Isn't that someone the same René G. who laid out the ground rules for book club?

message 18: by Mimi (new)

Mimi | 126 comments alright - the doodle is up; for any new people, you can choose two options. have at it: http://doodle.com/poll/7tz25ra4fvkpc6ft

message 19: by René (new)

I never said it was fiction only, I only said no non-fiction that Justin proposes

message 20: by René (new)

@Tania I pity-voted for your suggestion. It won't win but neither will mine. I basically threw away both my votes.

message 21: by Tania (new)

Tania U Oh, that's so generous of you, René. Sorry I couldn't pity-vote for you suggestion as I absolutely can't stand this Velvet Underground thing.

message 22: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 496 comments I did vote for you Rene, but i think its because ill like to read it anyways. :) no pity voting from me

message 23: by René (last edited Feb 09, 2017 06:16AM) (new)

omg who doesn't like the Velvet Underground? (Yes Tania, I know)

message 24: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 496 comments You will have the list when we close the doodle :)

message 25: by Mimi (new)

Mimi | 126 comments wow, so that was one hell of a turnaround on the doodle. i'll leave it open until monday in case nabil decides to vote, or if agnes wants to use her second vote... but for the moment, we're likely going gaiman for february.

message 26: by Alan (new)

Alan | 172 comments Mod
Nooooo! That's what we chose from that list?

message 27: by Tania (new)

Tania U Here you are... a Canadian-Scottish alliance trying to undermine the popular vote for a Russian proposition by pressurising Morocco into voting in their favour. Very representative of Western democracies!!!... Where's Lavrov? Where's our nuclear briefcase? Who's gonna defend my honour and protect my pride?

message 28: by Alan (new)

Alan | 172 comments Mod
It's just like the Eurovision song contest writ large :-)

message 29: by Justin (new)

Justin Hood | 628 comments Anyone got, an, ahem, copy?

message 30: by Tania (new)

Tania U of Neverwhere?

message 31: by Tania (new)

Tania U I read it from here

message 32: by Mimi (new)

Mimi | 126 comments so, since tania has decided that it's more democratic and fair (to her) to deny two members' right to vote, i guess we're going with gaiman. have fun with that - i read it in october and don't think i need a reread just yet.

message 33: by Justin (new)

Justin Hood | 628 comments I have no idea what happened... what are we reading??

message 34: by Tania (new)

Tania U what happened is that in her vain attempt to outwit me Mimi seems to have put an end to the vote.

message 35: by Mimi (new)

Mimi | 126 comments ? ... i don't know either, justin. i wasn't trying to 'outwit' anything; people were talking like they were fine with calling it, and it doesn't bother me either way.

message 36: by Lara (new)

Lara | 296 comments How does the new meeting date system work again? Because it looks like early March might be a bit early to have flipped through read the book?
Also, if you want a copy, hmu

message 37: by René (new)

Hug My Urethra?

message 38: by Lara (new)

Lara | 296 comments Valentines Day is coming up...

message 39: by Alan (new)

Alan | 172 comments Mod
Hassle Missy Razzle. It's a young person's euphemism.

message 40: by Agnes (new)

Agnes (verlisant) | 8 comments Mimi wrote: "wow, so that was one hell of a turnaround on the doodle. i'll leave it open until monday in case nabil decides to vote, or if agnes wants to use her second vote... but for the moment, we're likely ..."

I didn't know I had a second vote !

message 41: by Mimi (new)

Mimi | 126 comments @ lara - i don't remember how the meet date system works either, but i think you're right that the first week in march might be too early... how would people feel about the second tuesday, the 14th?

message 42: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 496 comments well i would prefer another weekday wednesday for example... but if its only me ill try to come

message 43: by Lara (new)

Lara | 296 comments I'd be free either day. Plus, we haven't seen you last time Katja!
Which means you have to pay a fine for lack of attendance on the Book Club PayPal account

message 44: by Lara (new)

Lara | 296 comments It's linked to my bank account only for practical purposes, of course

message 45: by Tania (new)

Tania U Yes for any Tuesday in March! But on Wednesdays I'm always taken, personally.

message 46: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 496 comments Lara, If i pay you a drink will you forget this fine? :)

Not like Im used to brining because I am russian :)

message 47: by Alan (new)

Alan | 172 comments Mod
The week of the 14th I'm free all evenings, so have at it :-)

Normally, its another doodle for the date, isn't it??

message 48: by Tania (new)

Tania U it was but then last doodle was so inconclusive that we couldn't meet for 2 months or more and then Hon Justin came and saved us. He suggested that we doodle the day of the week and then meet on this day every month. And it was Tuesday...

message 49: by Tania (new)

Tania U Or rather like this:
In the end Justin created another doodle. And the bookclub was without form, and void; and the darkness moved upon our faces. And the Spirit of Justin moved upon the faces of the bookclub.
And Justin said, Let there be one day every month; and there was one day every month.
And Justin saw the day, that it was good: and Justin divided the light from darkness.
And ever since we have had The Day, and decided it would be The First Day of every month.
And Justin said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the bookclub, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the bookclub.
So Justin created a man in his own image.
Oh, wait, this was almost 10 years ago and is another story...
And Justin blessed them, and Justin said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the bookclub and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the bookclub.
And so we did.
And Justin saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixtish day the doodle was on.

message 50: by Lara (last edited Feb 23, 2017 06:19AM) (new)

Lara | 296 comments I thought the conclusion was that we'd alternate between Tuesday and Wednesday because some couldn't on Tuesdays, others on Weds...? or we could just doodle again

« previous 1