World, Writing, Wealth discussion

The Lounge: Chat. Relax. Unwind. > Individual heroism

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13749 comments Seeing so many suggestions regarding best military operations, how about instances of individual heroism?

I'll offer Alexey Mareseyev - a fighter pilot, who despite an injury resulting in amputation of his both legs, returned to military service and downed more Luftwaffe planes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexey_...

Whose feat impressed you the most?

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments Harriet Tubman. Technically not a war heroine but the hundreds of slaves she helped to freedom might have disagreed with me.

message 3: by Michel (last edited Feb 01, 2017 06:52AM) (new)

Michel Poulin It is sad to see that wars produce so many heroes: if only we would better know the heroes from daily life. I am sure that we would find plenty of stories of incredible heroism by people like firefighters, pilots, sailors, paramedics and the like. Here is one group of unsung heroes that I can think of: the electricians and technicians of the RMS TITANIC who voluntarily stayed at their posts in the electrical control room of the doomed liner as it was sinking, so that the crew and passengers could have power as long as possible. Yet, none of their names are widely known by the public.

message 4: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13749 comments Excellent examples.. Don't have to be war heroes. Any peaceful time heroes, are still heroic -:)

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments Michel wrote: "It is sad to see that wars produce so many heroes: if only we would better know the heroes from daily life. I am sure that we would find plenty of stories of incredible heroism by people like firef..."

That was heroism on their part but they died for people who doomed others to die because they were poor. Sad.

Alex ~They/them~ ~Annabeth Chase and Alex Fierro are the best~ (percybluefood) | 145 comments my fav authors/fictional characters/bands/singers because they inspired me so much.

message 7: by Rohvannyn (new)

Rohvannyn Shaw | 13 comments I work at a mail order pharmacy. When an agent truly goes above and beyond to solve a difficult problem, so someone can get a lifesaving medication that they might die without, they are a hero. I remember one time when a mom needed a specialty med to help prevent her from miscarriage. When we fixed that problem, it saved mom and baby. It's funny to think about, but good customer service can actually save lives.

message 8: by Philip (new)

Philip (phenweb) Rohvannyn wrote: "I work at a mail order pharmacy. When an agent truly goes above and beyond to solve a difficult problem, so someone can get a lifesaving medication that they might die without, they are a hero. I r..."
Good examples

message 9: by Philip (new)

Philip (phenweb) Nik wrote: "Seeing so many suggestions regarding best military operations, how about instances of individual heroism?

I'll offer Alexey Mareseyev - a fighter pilot, who despite an injury resulting in amputat..."

Similar story to Douglas Bader https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas...

message 10: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13749 comments Philip wrote: "Douglas Bader https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas... ..."

Indeed, interesting and heroic example

message 11: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13749 comments Remember any heroes?

message 12: by Michel (new)

Michel Poulin Those three young ROTC cadets who kept exit doors open so that their friends and comrades could escape the monster who recently gunned down 17 people at a school in Florida.