Kindle British Mystery Book Club discussion

I Let You Go
This topic is about I Let You Go
Book Club Selection > Spoiler Discussion (February 2017) - I Let You Go, by Clare Mackintosh

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Gooch | 3976 comments Mod
****** THIS THREAD MAY GIVE INFORMATION AWAY IF YOU HAVEN'T READ OR FINISHED THE BOOK ******

This is a spoiler thread for the February Group Read, I Let You Go, by Clare Mackintosh

Post in here if you wish to comment on the book and discuss details that may spoil or give away important or pertinent details for those who haven't read or finished the book yet.

Mary C | 173 comments Well, I'm borrowing the first question for discussion from the author's own book club page because I think she asked it better than I could, and adding my own to it. So here we go:

How does the author pull the wool over the reader’s eyes in preparation for the first major twist? How did you feel when you reached it?

And, knowing how she misdirected you in the first part of the book, did you find the second part and its twist more or less surprising?

Bill Kupersmith | 552 comments Mod
If you notice that we are not told she was actually dri ing the car. We also jump tothe conclusion in the 1st pt that it was her child till we notice that prologue is 3rd person. I found the 2nd pt tedious because the villain was odious & all the MC needed to do was tell the police the truth.

message 4: by Mary (new)

Mary (broomemarygmailcom) This is my comment to enter the amazon give away.

Mary wrote: "Well, I'm borrowing the first question for discussion from the author's own book club page because I think she asked it better than I could, and adding my own to it. So here we go:

How does the au..."
Once I knew she was in the car, I was certain she wasn't driving. But I couldn't figure out why she didn't tell the cops who was.

Mary C | 173 comments I don’t pretend to know the psychology of domestic violence victims, so I could be well off base here. But it seems to me that Jenna’s inability to tell the police that Ian was driving is an extension of whatever it was the led her to get into and stay in the abusive situation (and NOT report the abuse there). She fled from Ian, but didn’t really escape from him – remember how she reacts when Patrick flicks water at her near the end of part 1.

Reading about the abuse was truly hard for me. I kept wanting to shout at Jenna to run away and I cringed at all the incidents described in part 2. I didn’t stop reading it though I came close a couple of times.

Mary wrote: "I don’t pretend to know the psychology of domestic violence victims, so I could be well off base here. But it seems to me that Jenna’s inability to tell the police that Ian was driving is an extens..." Generally with dv situations I agree, esp. when the victim has an emotional attachment to the abuser or cannot escape to a safe place. A brilliant example is Elizabeth Haynes's Into the Darkest Corner. Here Jenna has escaped & tho' she fears Ian will find her & come after her, all she needs do is tell the police the truth to avoid that. Instead the author has to set up a thriller ending that struck me as artistically unlikely.