Georgette Heyer Fans discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Group Reads > Lady of Quality Group Read February 2017 Chapters 1-8

Comments Showing 1-50 of 83 (83 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (last edited Feb 01, 2017 12:26PM) (new)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 4101 comments Mod
Yay, time for our February read!

So how many times have you read this title?

Is it anyone's first time reading this?

What format are you using this time?

I'll be honest - this isn't one of my favourites. At the most I'll have read it four times.

Lady of Quality by Georgette Heyer I'm reading this edition. My dad gave it to me for my sixteenth birthday & there is an inscription from him inside. :/

This is one of my favourite covers & GH herself was very pleased with it.

Please - spoilers in the spoilers thread or use the spoiler tags.

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (knyttwytch) I will be reading the Kindle edition and first time reading it!

Barb in Maryland | 634 comments I'm reading the Sourcebooks trade size pb, which I purchased several years ago. This will be my 6th? re-read (quite frankly, I've lost track). I first read it when it was first published-back in 1972. LoQ ranks in the middle of the pack of GH's books--no where near top10, but certainly not a cellar-dweller either.

message 4: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3319 comments I was lucky enough to find the same edition as Carol has at a church used book sale (don't know to get it to copy and paste on iPad) and I love the cover!

This will be my third or fourth time, I just reread last spring thinking it was Black Sheep! I'll never mix them up again...but this one is fun, I'm only on chapter 4 so no hero yet, but I remember he is not nearly as swoony and charming as Miles! And the old lady companion gets on my nerves immediately, but that's the way Heyer wrote her, so well done Georgette!

message 5: by Jacquie (new)

Jacquie Scuitto | 261 comments My copy is a Bantam paperback from around 1973 and I have no idea how many times I have read it. I don't remember much about it so I know it has been quite a while! I know it was either this one or Black Sheep I almost didn't buy thinking them too much alike in plot!

message 6: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Shropshire (pswap57) | 34 comments I will be reading the Sourcebooks edition - I just love the covers on these. I haven't read Lady of Quality before, so I'll be adding another GH to my "READ" list. Yay!

message 7: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 1263 comments My current copy is the 2005 Arrow paperback with the mysteriously simpering miss on the cover (though I’d love to make curtains out of her dress): Lady Of Quality

Am doing two other reads right now, so I’ll dive into the conversation a little later in the month.

message 8: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Shropshire (pswap57) | 34 comments Do you mean like this, Abigail?
description

message 9: by Sheila (in LA) (new)

Sheila (in LA) (sheila_in_la) | 333 comments This is my first time reading Lady of Quality. I've got an original hardcover edition from the library (no dust jacket though). The plot summary did remind me of Black Sheep, but I'm a chapter or so into it and happily caught up in the story--especially liked the dialogue between Annis and her sister-in-law.

message 10: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 1224 comments I've read it at least twice and enjoyed it a lot. It's in my top 10 Heyer list.

message 11: by Samanta (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) | 8 comments I read this book last year, I think. I might do it again with the rest of you.

message 12: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (new)

Samanta wrote: "I read this book last year, I think. I might do it again with the rest of you."

That will be lovely! :)

message 13: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3319 comments Pamela wrote: "Do you mean like this, Abigail?
"

LOL! I love Carol Burnett and that skit still leaves me in stitches!

message 14: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 1554 comments I'll be reading an Arrow edition that was printed in 1991. They were releasing them in lots of six at the time. I've only read this once so it will be like a new read for me. It'll take me a few days to start as I have another challenge to finish first. Looking forward to it.

message 15: by Samanta (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) | 8 comments Carol ♔Type, Oh Queen!♕ wrote: "Samanta wrote: "I read this book last year, I think. I might do it again with the rest of you."

That will be lovely! :)"

Thank you! Just checked and it was last year. It took me one day to finish it. :D :D

message 16: by Louise Sparrow (new)

Louise Sparrow (louisex) | 454 comments It's not one of my top re-reads but I've read it a few times. I'll be listening to the audiobook this time.

Susan in Perthshire (susanageofaquarius) | 1073 comments Abigail wrote: "My current copy is the 2005 Arrow paperback with the mysteriously simpering miss on the cover (though I’d love to make curtains out of her dress): Lady Of Quality

Am doing two other r..."

Mine is an Arrow (UK) I think the girl in the pretty blue satin dress is far too insipid looking to be Annis! Not how I visualise her at all.
I have been in bed with a nasty chest infection and started to feel a little better yesterday - so I raced through the first 8 chapters quite easily! I had forgotten how good it is.
After last month's read, I was rather dreading reading it again, as I thought Black Sheep was just wonderful! I knew the plot was very similar and I feared it might suffer in comparison. Not a bit. I have just loved getting reacquainted with Annis, Lucilla, Ninian, Oliver, Amabel and even Maria! The prose just zips along creating pictures and feelings in my mind; and in her inimitable fashion, Miss Hewer has kept me totally enthralled.
I am really enjoying the intelligence, confidence and maturity of Annis - no simpering missish airs here - but a forthright, intelligent, sensitive and witty woman who stands her ground. The relationship between Annis and her brother is wonderfully realised. I love the fact that we can see from very early on - the attraction between Oliver and Annis, which manifests itself initially in a lot of funny, almost hostile banter. It's a couple of years since I read Lady of Quality but I am thoroughly enjoying it again: (probably my 6th or 7th read over the last 40 odd years.)

message 18: by Howard (new)

Howard Brazee I don't re-read books that often - the number of books I really want to read for the very first time is way too huge.

The 2nd time I read this book was a month ago. I'm a late-comer to being a Heyer fan. All of my Heyer except for one book is in e-book format. I only have one room full of books now since I moved to senior housing, so all of my non-autographed paperbacks are gone.

message 19: by Belinda (new)

Belinda | 220 comments I'm reading the 1991 arrow publication (the same as Susan in Perthshire) with the simpering miss in blue on the front - CERTAINLY not a representation of Annis!

message 20: by Susan in NC (last edited Feb 02, 2017 07:48AM) (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3319 comments Susan in Perthshire wrote: "Abigail wrote: "My current copy is the 2005 Arrow paperback with the mysteriously simpering miss on the cover (though I’d love to make curtains out of her dress): Lady Of Quality

Am d..."

You're right - I'm starting to appreciate the relationship blossoming between Oliver and Annis; at first I was not as pleased with this book compared to Black Sheep because Oliver comes across as abrasive and rude compared to the charming Miles - but I guess in fairness, the bantering dialogue between Annis and Oliver is reminiscent of the screwball comedies I adore from the '30s and '40s with Hepburn and Grant. A lot of sexual chemistry and tension building in those film scenes as well as in these first chapters with Oliver and Annis, but of course Heyer would never blatantly indicate that...;-)

I still prefer Miles, but I'll approach the rest of this book with the screwball comedy analogy in mind, maybe it'll help me appreciate Oliver.

One other point, do you all find it kind of odd that Annis seems to speak in cant-type language a lot of the time? I could see tweaking her brother with it, but she seems to talk to everyone that way. What do you all think?

And I agree Susan, Annis' relationship with her brother in this book is much more nuanced - he is pompous and stiff, but they do laugh together and obviously care for each other. And I love the relationship between Lucy and Ninian, they are so natural and sweet, just like siblings who are best friends, too.

message 21: by Jacquie (new)

Jacquie Scuitto | 261 comments I've just started reading this book and was struck in the first chapter by Annis' comment to Amabel: 'like that weird creature who goes about in a hoop and feathers'. Mrs. Floore from Bath Tangle almost makes a reappearance!

message 22: by Linda (new)

Linda | 131 comments This will be my first read of Lady of Quality, and I get to use one of the numerous Heyer books I've snagged at the used book stores in the past few months. This one is an old mass market paperback Pan edition from 1972. I think I got it for 75 cents.

I won't be able to start reading this until later in the month, so I'll check back in with the group when I start!

description

message 23: by Samanta (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) | 8 comments If I had a companion like Miss Farlow, I think I would willingly admit myself to a mental hospital.

message 24: by Loriidae (new)

Loriidae I have a hardback with gold foil lettering published in 1973 by The Companion Book Club a division of Hamlyn, unfortunately I don't have the original dust jacket.

However for this reread I am listening to the audio and am enjoying Eve Matheson's narration.

message 25: by Barb in Maryland (new)

Barb in Maryland | 634 comments Jacquie wrote: "I've just started reading this book and was struck in the first chapter by Annis' comment to Amabel: 'like that weird creature who goes about in a hoop and feathers'. Mrs. Floore from Bath Tangle a..."

Thanks, Jacquie for recognizing the reference! I knew it was a nod to someone from another book, I just couldn't remember who and what book.

message 26: by Jackie (last edited Feb 03, 2017 06:12AM) (new)

Jackie | 1181 comments "One other point, do you all find it kind of odd that Annis seems to speak in cant-type language a lot of the time? I could see tweaking her brother with it, but she seems to talk to everyone that way."

YES - this does bother me because it doesn't seem realistic. it's just way too much, IMO

good catch on the "hoop with feathers" mention, it does seem like Mrs. Floore!

message 27: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3319 comments Samanta wrote: "If I had a companion like Miss Farlow, I think I would willingly admit myself to a mental hospital."

Me too! That combination of constant inane chatter, subservience and spying on Annis to snitch to her brother, ugh!

message 28: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3319 comments Jackie wrote: ""One other point, do you all find it kind of odd that Annis seems to speak in cant-type language a lot of the time? I could see tweaking her brother with it, but she seems to talk to everyone that ..."

Thanks, I wasn't sure if it was just me, but it seemed excessive for a lady of her upbringing and position - not something a Lady of Quality would do to such an extent!

message 29: by Carolien (new)

Carolien (carolien_s) | 85 comments I have the same cover as Linda - the PAN edition. This remains one of my all time favourite Heyer's - so glad of an excuse to reread it. (And I agree Miss Farlow is enough to drive you either insane or to drink.)

message 30: by Barb in Maryland (new)

Barb in Maryland | 634 comments So much good stuff in the opening chapter! GH did a good job setting Annis's world-view in contrast to Amabel's. the exchange about men knowing better--Amabel is in favor of deferring to to their superior knowledge; Annis's reaction--"Emphatically, No!". Annis says she wants her own life--Amabel starts naming the men Annis could have married to achieve her 'own' life. Amabel truly believes that every woman must want to get married--she is totally flummoxed by Annis wanting to be on her own.

message 31: by Barb in Maryland (new)

Barb in Maryland | 634 comments Susan in NC wrote: "Jackie wrote: ""One other point, do you all find it kind of odd that Annis seems to speak in cant-type language a lot of the time? I could see tweaking her brother with it, but she seems to talk to..."
I'm another one who noticed it and was bemused by it. GH usually has her heroines speak more decorously. Remember in 'Black Sheep' when Abby reprimanded Fanny for using slang? I also wonder where Annis picked up the slang. Annis doesn't really spend too much time around the teen-age set until Lucy and Ninian enter her sphere. Geoffrey seems a little too starchy to have used such language in his sister's presence.

message 32: by Susan in Perthshire (last edited Feb 03, 2017 10:47AM) (new)

Susan in Perthshire (susanageofaquarius) | 1073 comments Susan in NC wrote: "Jackie wrote: ""One other point, do you all find it kind of odd that Annis seems to speak in cant-type language a lot of the time? I could see tweaking her brother with it, but she seems to talk to..."

I agree and it does jar, as it wouldn't have done quite so much if it were Fredericka for example who had several brothers she might have learned from, but who would still not have used it so much in company. I think this might have been GH doing a bit of showing off her knowledge of Regency slang. It really does jar at times.

message 33: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (new)

& I have started. I did notice that GH tried to pack in way too much information in the first page. (from the coachman's POV) GH was usually a bit more subtle than that.

On a positive note, the heroine was blue eyes. I swear I didn't notice the legions of grey eyes until I joined this group. :D

message 34: by Linda (new)

Linda | 131 comments Carol ♔Type, Oh Queen!♕ wrote: "I swear I didn't notice the legions of grey eyes until I joined this group."

Oh, that's funny! I had a similar thought when I was reading Black Sheep last month.

message 35: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (new)

Linda wrote: "
Oh, that's funny! I had a similar thought when I was reading Black Sheep last month."

I wouldn't mind so much if it reflected the eye colouring of the British population of the time. But it's quite jarring over time.

message 36: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3319 comments Barb in Maryland wrote: "Susan in NC wrote: "Jackie wrote: ""One other point, do you all find it kind of odd that Annis seems to speak in cant-type language a lot of the time? I could see tweaking her brother with it, but ..."

Thank you, I was thinking the same things but I never really found an answer - not like she had a younger brother or cousin in residence.

message 37: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3319 comments Susan in Perthshire wrote: "Susan in NC wrote: "Jackie wrote: ""One other point, do you all find it kind of odd that Annis seems to speak in cant-type language a lot of the time? I could see tweaking her brother with it, but ..."

Yes! That's what it came across as to me also, Heyer airing her knowledge or worse, Annis trying to appear the Regency equivalent of "hip" - like a middle-aged woman of today dressing like her teen daughter or getting something pierced or tatooed (*shudder*)!

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (knyttwytch) I wondered if she spent a lot of time around the stables (being such a good rider) and picked it up and used it there and it became habit - and then of course in Bath it added to the semi- eccentric idea.

Susan in Perthshire (susanageofaquarius) | 1073 comments Hilary - a good suggestion, but I don't think so. The kind of Regency slang she is using in the book was very much the indulgence of rich and idle young men who followed boxing matches, cockfighting, gambling and other so called 'male' pursuits at the time. A bit like today in Britain where old etonians like to speak with an estuary accent. As with most women of her class, Annis is clearly very used to riding from a very early age but she would not be engaged in social chit chat with grooms etc. Whilst she may be deemed a little eccentric for living alone in her own house with a respectable cousin as duenna, she is still a respectable and respected member of her peers in Bath. Speaking in such slang and cant would make her vulgar and odd - not eccentric. Annis is so clearly a woman who knows what society expects of her that she would never so forget herself as to speak in that way.

message 40: by Howard (new)

Howard Brazee Our "Lady of Quality" is on the shelf - because she never quite believed her suitors when they professed their love. They were polite with everybody and did what was expected of them.

Too bad she never knew anybody who she trusted to say what they really meant (so if he says he loves her - she believed him).

message 41: by Barb in Maryland (new)

Barb in Maryland | 634 comments Howard wrote: "Our "Lady of Quality" is on the shelf - because she never quite believed her suitors when they professed their love. They were polite with everybody and did what was expected of them.

Too bad she ..."

Perhaps, Howard, perhaps...
We do know, because Annis tells Amabel early on, that she never felt any 'spark' with any of her worthy suitors; and she was determined to marry for love or not marry at all.

message 42: by Belinda (new)

Belinda | 220 comments I have to admit in the first chapter I'm disappointed Annis takes on Miss Marlow. She is silly and never stops talking yet Annis agrees to live with her . You never make big life changing decisions like that because you feel sorry for someone as you become sillier when you hang out with a silly person 24/7. I guess GH was trying to show Annis being noble by taking on an indignant relative but that is one step too far for me and I think less of Annis because of it.

message 43: by Jacquie (new)

Jacquie Scuitto | 261 comments Belinda wrote: "I have to admit in the first chapter I'm disappointed Annis takes on Miss Marlow. She is silly and never stops talking yet Annis agrees to live with her . You never make big life changing decisions..."

Annis agrees with Amabel but..'.But the beauty of it is that having chosen her, and foisted her on to me Geoffrey will never acknowledge that he as in error.'

Self defense!

message 44: by Howard (new)

Howard Brazee Barb in Maryland wrote: "Howard wrote: "Too bad she ..."
Perhaps, Howard, perhaps...
We do know, because Annis tells Amabel early on, that she never felt any 'spark' with any of her worthy suitors; and she was determined to marry for love or not marry at all"

It's too early in the book to find out whether she ever finds someone who will tell her that he loves her - and she believes him.

message 45: by Sheila (in LA) (new)

Sheila (in LA) (sheila_in_la) | 333 comments Carol ♔Type, Oh Queen!♕ wrote: "Linda wrote: "
Oh, that's funny! I had a similar thought when I was reading Black Sheep last month."

I wouldn't mind so much if it reflected the eye colouring of the British population of the time..."

Not long ago, at work, I met a young man with gray eyes. I was very struck by it, because it's something I've read about in books all my life but rarely encountered.

message 46: by Sheila (in LA) (new)

Sheila (in LA) (sheila_in_la) | 333 comments I feel like I'm going to sound like a broken record, but I'm really enjoying this one so far. I do think the book has a slightly different tone. I wouldn't say dark, but the fact that Annis talks about being bored and disenchanted with her life gives it a note of realism, you might say, that I don't recall in other books I've read by GH. She is drawn to Lucilla because she brings life to her world (maybe Belinda is right and Annis should not have consented to have such a silly woman as Miss Farlow live with her). Melancholy is the feeling I'm getting. I could be influenced by knowing this was her last book, however.

message 47: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 1554 comments Sheila my second daughter has grey eyes with a hint of almost violet at times. It really is completely different and I'd never seen them before my daughter was born.

Also I haven't started this yet and am intrigued by all the different opinions here. Looking forward to it even more now.

message 48: by Sheila (in LA) (new)

Sheila (in LA) (sheila_in_la) | 333 comments Teresa wrote: "Sheila my second daughter has grey eyes with a hint of almost violet at times. It really is completely different and I'd never seen them before my daughter was born.

Also I haven't started this y..."

Lovely, Teresa! Lucky you to look at these eyes on a regular basis!

message 49: by Belinda (new)

Belinda | 220 comments Hi all. I'm starting to think Annis only took on the extremely silly miss Marlow as a means of escaping home. But really, if you have to pretend your asleep to escape someone's constant bibble babble it's a bit invasive! Then she spy's on Annis and tattle tales to her brother- throw her out I say! Enough is enough and that is outside my limits. No wonder the servants are up in arms. I'm enjoying everyone's comments on grey eyes. They aren't very common in the people I know. I must look up a biology website to see what genetic crosses are needed to produce them? GH herself apparently had lovely grey eyes. Was it her Russian back ground?

message 50: by Belinda (new)

Belinda | 220 comments Ah ha! I can't post URL links from my phone but eye doctor guide.com article 'The genetics of eye colour' says grey eyes are predominately found in Russia,Latvia and Estonia. GH writes about a lot of heros and heroines with grey eyes so they must have all had Russian grand pops that have moved to England like her!

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.