2017 Discover Further Book Challenge discussion

High School kids don't know everything

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cory (new)

Cory | 4 comments My first book in this challenge was The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck. Admittedly, I was a bit apprehensive about reading/listening to this book as I remember how badly some of friends in high school complained about having to read it. I am not sure if I am just older or if they were off their rockers, but I really enjoyed this book. It definitely does not follow my beliefs about the role of women in society and other morality issues, but I was fascinated to see what life was like in China in the early 1900s. I would highly recommend for High Schoolers and older.

message 2: by Cory (new)

Cory | 4 comments Cory wrote: "My first book in this challenge was The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck. Admittedly, I was a bit apprehensive about reading/listening to this book as I remember how badly some of friends in high school..."

I forgot to add that I am using this as the book that was made into a motion picture. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Goo...

message 3: by Connie (new)

Connie | 9 comments Thank you for the idea! I've been wracking my brain as to what I could read other than Sweet Valley High ;) haha I'm only partly kidding. I loved this book when I read it back in high school so I'm going to read it again.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Wade | 34 comments Mod
Sweet Valley High! !! hahaha!!!!

message 5: by Linda (new)

Linda (rlinda19) | 25 comments I was a huge Sweet Valley fan back in the day too! haha!
And as far as the Good Earth, I loved it too. We read it in our bookclub a few years ago and ever since I've thought so many times about that amazing chinese woman and how she gave birth and the next day was out working in the fields like nothing ever happened. incredible.