Books on the Nightstand discussion

General chat > Reading Diversely for Black History Month

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marion (new)

Marion Hill (kammbia1) January has already ended. Wow that was quick. Anyway, I was issued a reading challenge for Black History Month for February and reading diversely. I will read one novel each from an African-American male and female author and post full reviews by the end of the month. I have chosen Lion's Blood (Lion's Blood, #1) by Steven Barnes by Steven Barnes and Brothers and Sisters by Bebe Moore Campbell by Bebe Moore Campbell for the challenge. You can read more about the challenge here: http://marion-hill.com/wisdom-from-ka... Feel free to add recommendations as well for future challenges. I plan to do this challenge for Hispanic Heritage Month in mid-September.

message 2: by Linda (new)

Linda | 2747 comments Mod
Nice, Marion!

message 3: by Susanne (last edited Feb 01, 2017 12:57PM) (new)

Susanne (heysus74) | 97 comments I made my reading plan for February with a focus on including more diverse authors and/or on diverse topics. Of course not all of the books in my February plan are diverse or focus on Black History Month, but I have a lot more than usual. The ones that focus on BHM are Homegoing, The Sun Is Also a Star, Invisible Man, and The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat. Now I just need time to read them (along with all of my other books).

Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi The Sun Is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat by Edward Kelsey Moore

message 4: by Jen (new)

Jen (jenlb) | 51 comments I just finished White Rage The Unspoken Truth of Our Racial Divide by Carol Anderson by Carol Anderson- I'd recommend it, especially for Black History month. I'm looking forward to reading Binti (Binti, #1) by Nnedi Okorafor by Nnedi Okorafor, Zone One by Colson Whitehead by Colson Whitehead, and Blood Done Sign My Name A True Story by Timothy B. Tyson by Timothy B. Tyson. I think that I'll be looking for some light reading in between those :-)

message 5: by Marion (new)

Marion Hill (kammbia1) Thanks Linda, Susanne, and Jen for your comments. I still need to read a Colson Whitehead novel.

message 6: by Marion (new)

Marion Hill (kammbia1) Invisible Man is a powerful book, Susanne.

message 7: by Linda (new)

Linda | 2747 comments Mod
Susanne wrote: "I made my reading plan for February with a focus on including more diverse authors and/or on diverse topics. Of course not all of the books in my February plan are diverse or focus on Black History..."

The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat is one of my favorite books of all time. Can't wait for the sequel.

I've got a James Baldwin downstairs from the library I should get to.

message 8: by Julie (new)

Julie M (woolyjooly) | 269 comments I've been reading African American authors/stories since October last year, for some reason . . now up: The Good Lord Bird by James McBride - national book award winner in 2015. These writers have increased my understanding of race, US cultural and sociological history, and the shameful history of slavery.

message 9: by Melyssa (new)

Melyssa (melyssa57) Susanne wrote: "I made my reading plan for February with a focus on including more diverse authors and/or on diverse topics. Of course not all of the books in my February plan are diverse or focus on Black History..."

The Sun is also a Star is next on my reading list!