Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

Archives Retired Folder Threads > Carrie's 40 for 40 Challenge

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lena (last edited Jan 31, 2017 07:24PM) (new)

Lena | 318 comments Oneness, I believe it was written in the 70s but when I read it as a free kindle offering I had no idea the author had been dead almost before I was born.

message 2: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9430 comments Mod
Clever idea for a challenge. Have fun with it Carrie.

message 3: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3795 comments This is a great idea, Carrie!

Some classic stories I think are excellent:
The Gift of the Magi
The Yellow Wallpaper and Other Stories
The Story of an Hour
A Good Man Is Hard To Find
The Rocking Horse Winner
Cathedral
The Veldt

Of course there's also The Lottery that it looks like this group will be reading in March--one of the best!

message 4: by Terris (last edited Jan 31, 2017 08:23PM) (new)

Terris | 2420 comments You should read O. Henry's short stories! I just read The Four Million and Other Stories by O. Henry -- it includes "The Gift of the Magi" which is definitely a "must read!"
I also recently read Don't Look Now and Other Stories by Daphne DuMaurier. It has five stories in it. Two of them were made into movies. I really enjoyed it.
Oh, I just remembered Ray Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles and The Illustrated Man! I really liked them!
I also like all of Kathleen's suggestions. Those are good ones. You have a lot to look forward to! Happy 40th!! :)

message 5: by Nente (new)

Nente | 779 comments Of O. Henry's, I liked The Last Leaf.
Do try something of Chekhov's if you haven't already; The Lady with the Little Dog is deservedly famous.
On looking through my short story shelf, I'd also recommend The Philosopher's Joke and The Haunted Man and the Ghost's Bargain, both a little touching on the preternatural but not overdone.

message 6: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Oh me too Carrie, 40 this year! I often struggle to get into short stories, so I'll keep an eye on your choices to see what you've enjoyed. Good luck :)

message 7: by Brina (new)

Brina Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri book of short stories that won Pulitzer in 2000. Amazing collection.

message 8: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
I really like your idea. I hope you don't mind, but since I love short stories also I'll list several I read last year.

The Machine Stops
The Birds
The Monkey's Paw
The Damned Thing
The Cask of Amontillado
The Story of the Other Wise Man
A Jury of Her Peers

Good Luck!!