Around the World in 80 Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Around the World in 80 Books: SOMALIA

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cait (new)

Cait | 150 comments Mod
I thought we would start our reading/travels with the countries that Trump has banned immigration from, with Somalia first because of the Minnesota connection. There is a poll below for us to choose: Which book should we read? (Other options welcome, so long as the author is Somalian.

Maps
The Orchard of Lost Souls
Desert Dawn
Fairytales for Lost Children
Yesterday, Tomorrow: Voices from the Somali Diaspora

message 2: by Erin (new)

Erin Gottfried | 1 comments I think the last one (Yesterday, Tomorrow...) could be interesting from the refugee standpoint, but I would be up for any of them!

message 3: by Becki (new)

Becki Iverson | 81 comments I would also vote for something by Naruddin Farah, who has been published by local publisher Graywolf Press! I've always been really interested in his Theme on an African Dictatorship trilogy. Any of the above work too though :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuruddi...

message 4: by Cait (last edited Feb 01, 2017 12:26PM) (new)

Cait | 150 comments Mod
Yeah, Farah is pretty prolific! I'm totally open to adding Sweet and Sour Milk from the Theme on an African Dictatorship Trilogy, I basically just selected Maps because it had the highest goodreads rating.

message 5: by Becki (new)

Becki Iverson | 81 comments Cool! How are we doing a final vote? Is there a way to add a poll? And are we doing this like one book a month, or how are we structuring this?

message 6: by Cait (new)

Cait | 150 comments Mod
So there is a poll already, but apparently I can't add other books to it once I set it up (finding out my GoodReads learning curve). So I guess if we are officially decided on the short list, I can delete the old poll and set up a new one and we can vote.

I was thinking about one book a month, and having asynchronous discussion during the last week plus pick next month's book, but we can definitely set it up any way we please. What do you think?

message 7: by Becki (new)

Becki Iverson | 81 comments Sounds good to me! It's hard to tell which is which since it looks like a comment thread, but yeah! Let's choose and get the ball rolling.

message 8: by Claire (new)

Claire | 96 comments I may not vote just because I'd be happy to read any of these books. Thanks for putting this together!

message 9: by Cait (new)

Cait | 150 comments Mod
Link to poll is here, since polls don't seem to be visible from the app: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.