This topic is about Truly Madly Guilty
Archive - Award Winners > Truly Madly Guilty - Feb 2017

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lynn | 4048 comments Mod
Truly Madly Guilty - Winner of Goodreads Choice Award for Fiction

Truly Madly Guilty by Liane Moriarty
Six responsible adults. Three cute kids. One small dog. It’s just a normal weekend. What could possibly go wrong?

Sam and Clementine have a wonderful, albeit, busy life: they have two little girls, Sam has just started a new dream job, and Clementine, a cellist, is busy preparing for the audition of a lifetime. If there’s anything they can count on, it’s each other.

Clementine and Erika are each other’s oldest friends. A single look between them can convey an entire conversation. But theirs is a complicated relationship, so when Erika mentions a last minute invitation to a barbecue with her neighbors, Tiffany and Vid, Clementine and Sam don’t hesitate. Having Tiffany and Vid’s larger than life personalities there will be a welcome respite.

Two months later, it won’t stop raining, and Clementine and Sam can’t stop asking themselves the question: What if we hadn’t gone?

In Truly Madly Guilty, Liane Moriarty takes on the foundations of our lives: marriage, sex, parenthood, and friendship. She shows how guilt can expose the fault lines in the most seemingly strong relationships, how what we don’t say can be more powerful than what we do, and how sometimes it is the most innocent of moments that can do the greatest harm.

message 2: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lynn | 4048 comments Mod
I have started this, but only up to chapter 8 so far. Looks like a slow burn story (which I may find a little frustrating) but it does have me intrigued so far.

message 3: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 5872 comments Mod
I finished this one. It is a bit of a slow burn, I suppose. The BBQ doesn't happen until about 2/3 into the story, so don't hold your breath waiting for it. If you keep waiting for the 'big reveal' you'll be really disappointed in the story. The real story is before and after. I don't know why they promote her books the way they do. The characters are really the important part.

message 4: by Katy (new)

Katy Mann | 278 comments Kristie wrote: "I finished this one. It is a bit of a slow burn, I suppose. The BBQ doesn't happen until about 2/3 into the story, so don't hold your breath waiting for it. If you keep waiting for the 'big reveal'..."

Hi. This is the second or third of her books I've read. I'm just getting started and found your comments interesting. Let's see where it goes.

message 5: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I hope it helps people. I know a lot of people were frustrated by the cookout being so late in the book. I think if you expect it, it's better.

Which other book(s) of hers did you read, Katy? What did you think?

Vicki Willis | 822 comments I am planning on reading this one at some point this month. I was glad to read your review Kristie, so I know not to expect fireworks at the barbeque. :)

message 7: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Glad to help, Vicki. :) There's definitely an event that affects people. It's just that the effects are a bigger part of the story than the actual event. Waiting for the event means you are just waiting for a few pages of information and missing the real story, which is the characters, their relationships, and their growth.

message 8: by Katy (new)

Katy Mann | 278 comments Kristie wrote: "I hope it helps people. I know a lot of people were frustrated by the cookout being so late in the book. I think if you expect it, it's better.

Which other book(s) of hers did you read, Katy? Wha..."

Hi. I posted an answer to your question last night but it didn't appear in this chain. Weird. So I read The Husband's Secret, and I'm part way through Big Little Lies. This writer is a favorite with one of my book club leaders.

message 9: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I really enjoy her books too, Katy. Big Little Lies is my favorite of hers so far. I hope you enjoy it.

message 10: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lynn | 4048 comments Mod
I'm up to Chapter 21 (30%) and I was surprised to realise that (view spoiler)

Kristie wrote: "The BBQ doesn't happen until about 2/3 into the story, so don't hold your breath waiting for it. If you keep waiting for the 'big reveal' you'll be really disappointed in the story. The real story is before and after. I don't know why they promote her books the way they do. The characters are really the important part. "

The thing is, the author herself has built the book entirely around the barbecue. Every chapter has at least a mention of the barbecue and most of the time a lot more. So I don't think it's surprising that it's promoted that way or why readers might be disappointed. She is leading us all towards that disappointment herself isn't she?

What I do find confusing at the moment is why, if the event had such a horrible effect on everyone, is Clementine doing regular talks about it? Very strange.

message 11: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I agree, Lynn. The author focuses on it a lot. It is a life changing event for the characters, each for different reasons, but focusing on it as a reader is a mistake because it happens so late. It's hard to explain without giving things away. I guess my point was just to enjoy the story unfolding as you go and don't hold your breath for the event.

I thought talking about the event was weird too, but there is a reason Clementine does her talks.

message 12: by Katy (new)

Katy Mann | 278 comments Kristie wrote: "I agree, Lynn. The author focuses on it a lot. It is a life changing event for the characters, each for different reasons, but focusing on it as a reader is a mistake because it happens so late. It..."

Those talks. Perhaps for all the right reasons, but (view spoiler)

message 13: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lynn | 4048 comments Mod
Chapter 34 and I've now got to the stage where I'm rolling my eyes every time the present references the barbecue ..... just tell me already lol

message 14: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hahaha...and that's why I warned you. ;)

Tonie Green | 4 comments Kristie wrote: "I agree, Lynn. The author focuses on it a lot. It is a life changing event for the characters, each for different reasons, but focusing on it as a reader is a mistake because it happens so late. It..."

Kristie wrote: "nI agree, Lynn. The author focuses on it a lot. It is a life changing event for the characters, each for different reasons, but focusing on it as a reader is a mistake because it happens so late. It..."

I read this book and totally get what you are saying. I enjoyed the book as I have all of her books I read. This book made my co-worker frustrated like Lynn (moderator).

message 16: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lynn | 4048 comments Mod
Chapter 50 - Hurrah, I finally know!

message 17: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynn wrote: "Chapter 50 - Hurrah, I finally know!"

:D

message 18: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lynn | 4048 comments Mod
Chapter 71, where Oliver finds (view spoiler)

Tonie Green | 4 comments At that point I had to but my book down and take it all in.

message 20: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynn wrote: "Chapter 71, where Oliver finds [spoilers removed]"

Loved that. :)

message 21: by Lynn, Moderator (last edited Feb 05, 2017 11:31AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lynn | 4048 comments Mod
Finally finished! I enjoyed the characters who were complex and well thought out. However I did struggle with the plot line and found it a bit of a slog to get through.

First off, it was too long. There were so many of the early chapters that didn't move the story along for me ..... just infuriating talk about the BBQ without giving anything anyway (to the point I was rolling my eyes in the end each time it was referenced).

I think the author made a mistake with her plot decision. For me, once we'd had the 'big reveal' it was a much better read. Even though I'd already been warned, the big reveal wasn't really that big of a reveal. In fact there was still more pieces of information that came after anyway. I feel it would have been a much better read for us to know the basics of the incident from the beginning and keep throwing in those smaller reveals throughout the book. That way, we would could concentrate on the characters reactions and relationships rather than us being distracted by what on earth happened at the BBQ!

message 22: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I agree, Lynn. I think it would be easier to concentrate on all the good stuff (character growth & relationships), if the BBQ wasn't hanging over your head as you read.

I thought (view spoiler)

message 23: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lynn | 4048 comments Mod
Kristie wrote: "I agree, Lynn. I think it would be easier to concentrate on all the good stuff (character growth & relationships), if the BBQ wasn't hanging over your head as you read.

I thought [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Prachi Pati | 3 comments I finally finished this book too and will be posting my review on Goodreads as well. But in short, this was my first Liane Moriarty book and I have mixed feelings about whether I liked the book enough or not. I mean, yes, there was an event that is center to the theme of the book and it shows how human we all are, how no one is perfect and different types of relationships and couples. But I didn't learn anything from the book. I don't know where the author was trying to go with the book. It was like, I was reading a story about my life in some parts or my friends's lives and the happy ending -although preferred, was something that doesn't really happen in the real world that often I guess. Call me a cynic , or maybe I'm just in that mood today :D
Of course, hands down, Oliver, Vid and Tiffany- all three were my favorite characters in the book. And I identified with Clementine most..sigh

Prachi Pati | 3 comments Why is the book titled Truly Madly Guilty though? Any thoughts?

message 26: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lynn | 4048 comments Mod
Prachi wrote: "Why is the book titled Truly Madly Guilty though? Any thoughts?"

Because every single character feels guilty.

Prachi Pati | 3 comments Lynn wrote: "Prachi wrote: "Why is the book titled Truly Madly Guilty though? Any thoughts?"

Because every single character feels guilty."

Oh..hmm, yeah makes sense :)

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments I just finished the book and overall, I completely agree with Lynn's thoughts on the book.
(view spoiler)

Anyways, I didn't like the first half of the book all that much .. more of a 2 star read, but I think the second part was much better and I loved the ending.

Still, not my go-to author ... her writing or rather her stories is/are just a bit too bland and uninspired.

Katie (spoondive) This was a very disappointing read for me. I love Liane Moriarty and some of her previous works - 'Big Little Lies' & 'The Husband's Secret'.
This book fell into the 'so boring I can't stand it!' category for me. I tried very hard to give it the benefit of the doubt but the build up was far too long and the reward far too little.

Sarah | 1467 comments This is why I wonder about the voting intelligence of Goodreads. How is this the winner? So many seem dissappointed. So, I am reading it and already come on already with the day of the BBQ. It is getting tedious, and I am not even 50 pages in.

Sarah | 1467 comments Prachi wrote: "I finally finished this book too and will be posting my review on Goodreads as well. But in short, this was my first Liane Moriarty book and I have mixed feelings about whether I liked the book eno..."

Don't let this be your last - I gave Big Little Lies five stars. I haven't finished this one yet... but it may be her worst.

Sarah | 1467 comments Lynn wrote: "Chapter 34 and I've now got to the stage where I'm rolling my eyes every time the present references the barbecue ..... just tell me already lol"

Haha, I already am doing this, and I'm only 50 pages.

message 33: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah - The "big reveal" doesn't occur until I think it was 2/3 through the book. It is a long wait. You just have to try to enjoy the story knowing that you won't know for a while. I also don't think it was worth the buildup.

Also, I completely agree, Big Little Lies was her best or at least the best that I've read by her. I also gave it 5 stars.

message 34: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lynn | 4048 comments Mod
Kristie wrote: "Also, I completely agree, Big Little Lies was her best"

Are you watching the TV series? We're just about to get it over here in the UK and I think I'm going to give it a go.

message 35: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I don't have HBO. I was disappointed. I really wanted to watch it.

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments I think amazon has a 7 day for free trial for HBO Now going on .. not sure if that's only prime though.

message 37: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Oh really? I'll have to look into that. I know the first episode is available free online somewhere. I pretty much decided not to bother though because it is a series. I wouldn't want to watch just the first one, unless it was terrible. lol I'm hoping it will be available through Netflix or something eventually.

Sarah | 1467 comments I can't see it going on between one season, like a mini series. I saw the first episode of BLL and can't wait for Sunday. Really has an all star cast

Vicki Willis | 822 comments I am finally getting to this one and am enjoying it.
I think it helps that you people told me to not read to get to the bbq scene. I am enjoying the leading up and aftermath of whatever happened that day. There is a good mix of characters in this one.
I am really curious about (view spoiler)

message 40: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Glad you're enjoying it, Vicki.

Vicki Willis | 822 comments I finally finished it and loved it.
I liked the switching back and forth and did not mind the slow burn to the barbeque.
I thought the actual event (view spoiler)
I liked the characters in this one as opposed to Big Little Lies. I couldn't stand the women characters in that book.
I almost didn't read this one because of that one, but I am sure glad I did.

message 42: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vicki - I agree that in real life the event (view spoiler)