The Adoration of Jenna Fox 2017 discussion

198-End

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

What specific themes did the author emphasize throughout the novel? What do you think he or she is trying to get across to the reader? How did the author try to do this?

message 2: by Vivian (new)

Vivian Shepherd | 8 comments The theme represented for me is that a parent will go to any length to save there child. I think the author is trying to get across to the reader what today's technology can do and how the parents will do anything for it. Also how her parents kept Jenna's mind running for 18 months and then uploading it into some sort of blue gel. The author did this by showing us how Jenna lived 260 years later with Alyss which in our world today is not realistic but the author is telling us that this could very well happen. Also, the author showed us that there wasn't many people like Jenna and we didn't know if this could be illegal or anything but then in the future we learn that there are a ton more people like her and that 10% is the minimum that has to left of the real person. I think that this shows how the parents did this for Jenna even though it was a total risk.

message 3: by Allie (new)

Allie | 8 comments The main theme I got from this story was discovery. I think the theme was discovery because throughout the whole story, Jenna discovered more and more things about her past self, and her present self. I think Mary E. Pearson was trying to tell the readers that throughout your life, you are going to discover things about yourself that you never knew before like Jenna did. Jenna always thought that she was the perfect daughter everyone wanted, but then later found out that she wasn't so perfect. Lily says "Your parents never thought you were perfect. You did" (pg 232). The author tried to create this theme by Jenna's thoughts and actions. For example Jenna says "'I can't ever be really alive if I can't die too. I need the backups. Kara's, Locke's ... and mine'" (pg 233). That quote helped create the theme because Jenna finally discovers that what she really needs is to live like a regular human. In order to do that she wants to destroy her backups along with Kara and Locke's.

message 4: by Leah (new)

Leah Gorsich | 8 comments I believe that the most common themes of The Adoration of Jenna Fox, are courage, and search of self. The whole story is based on her trying to figure out who she is, and what she should do with her life. I think Mary E. Pearson was trying to make us search for what matters most in life, and how far people will go to make that happen. Jenna is constantly deciding between herself, or others. She doesn't know who she is, and I feel bad for her because of it. I think she finally stops searching when she is talking with Lily. "Some things aren't meant to be known. Only believed" (Pearson 261). With that, Jenna knows she is worth so much more than she thinks. Jenna, at the end of the book, is finally realizing that she is loved, and does have a future. I thought this was a pretty good book.

message 5: by Leah (new)

Leah Gorsich | 8 comments Allie wrote: "The main theme I got from this story was discovery. I think the theme was discovery because throughout the whole story, Jenna discovered more and more things about her past self, and her present se..."

I agree with you. Discovery is a big part of the story. She is trying to find out who she is, almost the entire book. I think your post is right, and it makes sense. She struggles throughout the whole story, and finally figures it out. I believe the end was a very smart idea.

message 6: by Jordyn (new)

Jordyn | 7 comments The theme I got throughout the story was curiosity. I got this theme because Jenna's parents kept so much about herself hidden from her but she kept pushing to figure out what it was and tested her limits. I think that it was one the more major themes in the story. You will always be learning new things about yourself and discover things you would never thought of. It also shows that curiosity is a good thing. Those are two major things that I thought Mary E. Pearson was trying to tell us. "Why didn't you tell me?" I ask. "The minute I woke up? Didn't I deserve to know?" (Pearson 136). I think this is one of the many quotes to show Jenna's curiosity because she's questioning what else she needs should know and why they ever told her.

message 7: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Havran | 6 comments The theme I got was that technology and ethics are changing in many different ways. Like how Jenna and Allys are two hundred and sixty years old and more people are like them, their bodies have Bio Gel in them " But Bio Gel has been modified for future recipients so that no one lives beyond an "acceptable and appropriate" time. In our old age, Allys and I giggle about being inappropriate." (Pearson 264). I think the author is trying to say that "People change. And the world will change. " (Pearson 263). Pearson showed this by writing this story in a futuristic setting to show that what could happen years from now.

message 8: by Jordyn (new)

Jordyn | 7 comments Allie wrote: "The main theme I got from this story was discovery. I think the theme was discovery because throughout the whole story, Jenna discovered more and more things about her past self, and her present se..."
I agree with what you're saying because Jenna was very curious about her past as well as her future. There are so many things for you to discover about yourself. I the quote you picked goes perfectly with your theme.

message 9: by Ella (new)

Ella | 10 comments A couple themes the author emphasized throughout the novel were to be grateful for what you have and that parents only want the best for their children. I think the author is trying to emphasize what you have and how lucky you are to have parents who care about you. Mary E. Pearson attempts this by creating parents who have gone to unthinkable measures to save Jenna from certain death. “Washing away the old, and believing the new. The world has changed. So have I,” (Pearson 261). I think that Jenna deserved a second chance to have a different life than the confused impression of one that she got. In my opinion, what her parents did was selfish because they made the decision so they could have their "old" Jenna back and didn't think of what Jenna would want.

message 10: by Emma (new)

Emma | 9 comments The theme I got from the novel of The Adoration Of Jenna Fox is, any parents would go to extreme to save or help their child in anyway possible. I think what the author is trying to get across is, what future technology can do and how they would use it, like the bio gel and how they can use it to save or help people in the future. What the author did to show this was talk about future technology and how it is used like the bio gel. Jenna's parents were only aloud to use so much and once they reached that limit Jenna's parents would not be able to use anymore. Jenna's parents did not follow the rules and used way more to get Jenna alive again. I think what the author is trying to tell us that your parents and family members really care about you and would do anything to save you from anything. Also bio gel could very well be something that could happen in the future. "That's what she meant. It's not a secret. She told her parents. She told them to report me." (Pearson 248).

message 11: by Emma (last edited Feb 21, 2017 12:35PM) (new)

Emma Casebolt | 8 comments The specific themes Mary E. Pearson emphasized throughout "The Adoration of Jenna Fox" is the exploration of ones self, the importance of family, and self acceptance. Pearson is trying to get her point across by making Jenna into the type of character that any reader can somehow relate to and that you have to truly learn to accept yourself. She used Jenna's thoughts and actions as an example of what losing almost your whole identity was like and somehow trying to find a way to start over and be your new self instead of trying to be someone you are not anymore. The setting helped explain the story and what it's like to be someone in Jenna's time and how everything is futuristic and unique just like Jenna is. "A drop on my forehead. hardly enough to feel. But still enough for Lily. And maybe enough for me. Washing away the old, believing in the new. The world has changed. So have I." (Pearson 261).

message 12: by Janna (new)

Janna Wesselink | 10 comments The specific themes that Mary E. Pearson emphasized throughout The Adoration of Jenna Fox is to be grateful for what you have and that your family and friends only want the best for you. Mary E. Pearson is getting this point across by saying,"Until you've been in our shoes, you'll never understand!"(Pearson 129). This emphasizes that the parents want her to understand everything and care very much about her because they brought her back to life except for 10 % of her brain. The novel shows that we should be grateful for what we have because we might end up like Jenna and not remember anything and be really needy and never get to taste hot chocolate again. "The hot chocolate was tasteless,"(Pearson 63).

message 13: by Janna (new)

Janna Wesselink | 10 comments Allie wrote: "The main theme I got from this story was discovery. I think the theme was discovery because throughout the whole story, Jenna discovered more and more things about her past self, and her present se..."
I agree with you Allie that we are discovering more and more throughout our lives and we should use it to our advantage. I think that Lily sounds very wise in that quote. I wonder if she ever regains all of her memories.

message 14: by Ella (new)

Ella | 10 comments Leah wrote: "I believe that the most common themes of The Adoration of Jenna Fox, are courage, and search of self. The whole story is based on her trying to figure out who she is, and what she should do with he..."
Leah, you chose a great quote to go with your passage. I agree with what you said about the main themes: courage and search for self because Jenna had no recollection of her past and she didn't know what her "real" self was like. Jenna was very courageous when she destroyed the backups and when she visited Allys when she was severely sick.

message 15: by Vivian (new)

Vivian Shepherd | 8 comments Janna wrote: "The specific themes that Mary E. Pearson emphasized throughout The Adoration of Jenna Fox is to be grateful for what you have and that your family and friends only want the best for you. Mary E. Pe..." I agree with you about the theme especially about how your family just wants the best for you.

message 16: by Emma (new)

Emma | 9 comments Vivian wrote: "The theme represented for me is that a parent will go to any length to save there child. I think the author is trying to get across to the reader what today's technology can do and how the parents ..." I agree with what you think technology can do in the future or now, your post is very detailed and nicely written.

message 17: by Emma (new)

Emma Casebolt | 8 comments Leah wrote: "I believe that the most common themes of The Adoration of Jenna Fox, are courage, and search of self. The whole story is based on her trying to figure out who she is, and what she should do with he..."
I agree completely with you Leah. One of the many themes is search of self. Jenna does finally realize that she can make it in her world and that she is accepted for who she is. Your posts throughout the whole novel were really detailed and a good example for how these posts should be done.

message 18: by Allie (last edited Mar 01, 2017 06:35AM) (new)

Allie | 8 comments Leah wrote: "I believe that the most common themes of The Adoration of Jenna Fox, are courage, and search of self. The whole story is based on her trying to figure out who she is, and what she should do with he..."

I agree that the most common theme is courage and search of self. You did a really good job explaining that throughout the story Jenna realizes she is loved, and that she is perfect just the way she is. The quote fit perfectly because that is when Jenna realizes it's ok to be different.

message 19: by Nariah (new)

Nariah Range (nariah_range) | 8 comments A couple themes the author emphasized throughout the novel were to be grateful for what you have and that parents only want the best for their children. Jenna's parents even quit there job and moved away so there child could live, because there was times in the story that Jenna wished she was just dead instead of living in a body that wasn't hers. "These are different. They're not mine. They're imposters."(Pearson 121) "That environment was hell. My black void I didn't understand. My endless vacuum where I suffocated, screamed, cried, but no one came to help. My own father put me there."(Pearson 126). This shows that she's not grateful for what her parents did for her. They show they love her but she just doesn't appreciate them for it. The author shows that when the parents try to explain how she is still alive but she rather be dead.

message 20: by Nariah (new)

Nariah Range (nariah_range) | 8 comments Janna wrote: "The specific themes that Mary E. Pearson emphasized throughout The Adoration of Jenna Fox is to be grateful for what you have and that your family and friends only want the best for you. Mary E. Pe..."

I totally agree with Janna because throughout the story she wasn't grateful about the body that her parents gave her. She was so upset and even said they should of let her die, cause she hates the body that's shes in. Her parents only wanted what was best for her.