The Adoration of Jenna Fox 2017 discussion

Pages 135-197

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

What moods has the book created for you so far? Why did you feel that way? Was the author trying to create this mood for you? If so, then how did he/she do it? If not, what made you feel this way?

message 2: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Havran | 6 comments It always gave a foreboding feeling for me. Since she is learning her past more and more and shes been told some of her memories like " You laughed at her. You said you weren't seven years old and then stomped out the front door."(pg 149). It gives me a feeling that her parents made her forget some of the important memories. I don't feel anything different for the mood.

message 3: by Allie (new)

Allie | 8 comments Moods that the author has created for me so far have been anxious and suspenseful. One of the moods felt was anxious because Jenna is really anxious about the closet in her parent's room. She finds the key and opens the door even though her parent's never gave her permission, or ever talked about the closet. "I already know what is in Mother's closet... What would father be afraid for me to see? Something pounds within me, something at my core, but I know it is not a heart. I take another step, and another, until I am standing at Mother's door" (pg 194). I felt anxious during this part in the story because I wanted to know what was inside the closet also. A part in the story that created a suspenseful mood was when Jenna finds out about the accident online when she is with Mr.Bender. " There was no apparent witnesses to the accident. Passenger Locke Jenkins, also 16, died two weeks after the accident...Kara Manning,17 died three weeks following the accident when her family removed life support" (pg 177). That part of the story created a suspenseful mood for me because I finally found out what happened to Jenna and her friends and I wanted to learn more. Yes I think the author was trying to create these two moods for me because they used words that make Jenna seem anxious which then apply to the reader and they use words that make the story more suspenseful.

message 4: by Ella (new)

Ella | 10 comments So far, the mood is secretive. I feel that the mood is secretive because there are bits and pieces of Jenna that she doesn’t understand and the locked rooms in her house are to prevent her from finding out what happened to her. She doesn’t know what happened to her or Locke and Kara, but she wants to find out. Her parents are keeping the contents of the locked room a secret. The author was trying to create a secretive mood because it makes the story more suspenseful, forcing the reader keep reading, and making the novel a hit. Since this novel is in first person, Mary E. Pearson could create the secretive mood by creating Jenna with the knowledge of her unknown past and the awareness of the many secrets being kept from her (without her knowing them). “I don’t remember this Lily, the one who is so quiet, intent, and angry. The only one who is so unpredictable. The pieces of Lily I remember, my nana, were not a mystery. A smile was a smile, and a sharp word was rare. Bits and pieces are still missing, but all the pieces in between are memories of her smiling every time she saw me,” (Pearson 147).

message 5: by Jordyn (new)

Jordyn | 7 comments Ella wrote: "So far, the mood is secretive. I feel that the mood is secretive because there are bits and pieces of Jenna that she doesn’t understand and the locked rooms in her house are to prevent her from fin..."

Ella wrote: "So far, the mood is secretive. I feel that the mood is secretive because there are bits and pieces of Jenna that she doesn’t understand and the locked rooms in her house are to prevent her from fin..."

I agree with you. I also get a secretive mood while reading this book because they are so protective over Jenna and are hiding a lot from her when they should just come out and tell you. Its very suspicious that her parents are hiding everything about her identity in a locked room in their house.

message 6: by Leah (new)

Leah Gorsich | 8 comments The mood that the author creates for me in the book, is strained. I have felt strained almost the entire book, because I don't know everything yet. I was especially confused while reading the section labeled "Environment", because she is thinking in fractured thoughts, and not explaining everything to herself. Jenna was in panic mode that section. For example, she was in the locked room, and this is what she thought. "We cracked the code, Jenna...Nanobots the size of blood cells are injected, sometimes even without a person's knowledge... Think of a glass ball twirling on your fingertip... The mind is an energy that the brain produces...Hurry, Jenna. Come. Backups..."(Pearson 196). This gave me a very strange mindset. Jenna was finally realizing what they had done to her, and it was putting her in shock. I think that the author wanted us to feel this way, because if there was no suspense, the book would be less interesting. The author has showed suspense and a strained feeling by her dialog choice. Also, when voices come into her head, I feel very strained. It is a very strained and suspenseful mood for me, because of the dialog and voices.

message 7: by Leah (last edited Feb 15, 2017 08:06AM) (new)

Leah Gorsich | 8 comments Ella wrote: "So far, the mood is secretive. I feel that the mood is secretive because there are bits and pieces of Jenna that she doesn’t understand and the locked rooms in her house are to prevent her from fin..."

I agree with everything you said. It is a very secretive mood. You also chose a good quote to use. I wonder what would have happened if Lily took care of Jenna, instead of her mother and father. I feel bad that Jenna doesn't know everything yet. She has the right to know, if it is HER body and HER past. Agree?

message 8: by Emma (new)

Emma Casebolt | 8 comments The mood "The Adoration of Jenna Fox" has created so far is cryptic in a way because of the whole mystery surrounding Jenna about what really happened to her the night of the accident. Why I feel that the mood is cryptic is because even though we have figured out a lot about who Jenna was and is now and what has happened to her there is still a piece missing in her life that has not yet been discovered. In my opinion I believe Pearson was trying to have her readers feel this way about her novel because of the way she has written it. She has written it with so much thought put into what we should make of who Jenna really is as a character in our own minds and how we can relate to Jenna in some way or another. She made this mood so that we can make our own idea of how we want to interpret her novel.

message 9: by Ella (new)

Ella | 10 comments Leah wrote: "Ella wrote: "So far, the mood is secretive. I feel that the mood is secretive because there are bits and pieces of Jenna that she doesn’t understand and the locked rooms in her house are to prevent..." Leah, I completely agree with your response. Everyone has a right to know what happened to them no matter what the consequences are.

message 10: by Emma (new)

Emma | 9 comments The moods the book has created for me so far are mysterious and can be gloomy in some parts, and I felt that way because in the book her mom is very mysterious of what happened to Jenna and how the made her live after her accident. In some parts its gloomy because its sad to her what all shes gone through her parents and what they have gone through to help Jenna live. I felt like the author was trying to create a mysterious mood about her mom. In the book Jenna wonder if her mom could of done anything to make her wake up earlier but then she finds out how they made her live after the accident, and pieces start coming back to her. The mood can be sad or gloomy at some times when her mother and father told her about how she lived after the accident and what they had to do.

message 11: by Vivian (new)

Vivian Shepherd | 8 comments The mood that is created for me is secretive and suspenseful. The book feels suspenseful when Jenna is trying to find out what is in her parents closet. "I stand, staring, trying to decide." (Pearson, 194.) This part makes me want to keep on reading to find out if she goes inside the closet or not. I also feel the mood is secretive because there is so much that is not known by Jenna but everybody else seems to know which makes me feel like there are secrets. I definitely think the author tried to create this mood so I would keep on reading and think it's a good book.

message 12: by Vivian (new)

Vivian Shepherd | 8 comments Ella wrote: "So far, the mood is secretive. I feel that the mood is secretive because there are bits and pieces of Jenna that she doesn’t understand and the locked rooms in her house are to prevent her from fin..." I agree with you about the secretive mood. I think that in this book there seems to be a lot kept from us, the readers. But it makes me want to keep on reading because it makes it suspenseful just like you said.

message 13: by Ella (new)

Ella | 10 comments Allie wrote: "Moods that the author has created for me so far have been anxious and suspenseful. One of the moods felt was anxious because Jenna is really anxious about the closet in her parent's room. She finds..."
Allie, I agree with you when you state the mood the author created is anxious and suspenseful. You did a great job of explaining what you believe and why you believe it. I also believe the mood is suspenseful and anxious because Jenna’s parents didn’t tell Jenna about her past or the accident and kept many secrets from her. I would also be anxious if I were in Jenna’s situation.

message 14: by Janna (new)

Janna Wesselink | 10 comments The moods that I have felt are suspenseful and anxious. The book has helped me create these moods. "Hurry, Jenna. Come. I can't. I back away. Backups. Of course. And I run,"(Pearson 196). This quote makes me feel anxious by making me think what is going to happen next? Is she going to be okay? The author created this mood by doing little words and little lines instead of very long lines.

message 15: by Janna (new)

Janna Wesselink | 10 comments Ella wrote: "So far, the mood is secretive. I feel that the mood is secretive because there are bits and pieces of Jenna that she doesn’t understand and the locked rooms in her house are to prevent her from fin..."
I agree with you that secretive is one of the moods that are created in this book. Another thing that is very secretive in this book is Lily. Where is she from? Why doesn't she talk to Jenna much? And so on.

message 16: by Allie (new)

Allie | 8 comments Ella wrote: "So far, the mood is secretive. I feel that the mood is secretive because there are bits and pieces of Jenna that she doesn’t understand and the locked rooms in her house are to prevent her from fin..."

I agree that one of the main moods in the story is secretive. I also think that what makes the story seem so secretive is that Jenna's parents keep the doors locked, so Jenna never really finds out about her past until the end.

message 17: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Havran | 6 comments Ella wrote: "So far, the mood is secretive. I feel that the mood is secretive because there are bits and pieces of Jenna that she doesn’t understand and the locked rooms in her house are to prevent her from fin..."
I agree with you, the story really does give that mood. If something like that happen to me. I would want to know what happen to me, even if the truth hurt me.

message 18: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 4 comments The mood that the book has created for me is very secretive and mysterious. This is created because we don't know everything yet, we only know pieces that are slowly coming together. She doesn’t know what happened to her or Locke and Kara, her friends but she is very curious to find out about them. Her parents won't really tell her anything. I think the author was trying to create the mysterious mood about her mom. Why won't her mom tell her anything about her past life?

message 19: by Emma (new)

Emma | 9 comments Emma wrote: "The mood "The Adoration of Jenna Fox" has created so far is cryptic in a way because of the whole mystery surrounding Jenna about what really happened to her the night of the accident. Why I feel t..."

I agree with the mood of the story you said it is very mysterious in some parts your post is very detailed.

message 20: by Emma (new)

Emma Casebolt | 8 comments Ella wrote: "So far, the mood is secretive. I feel that the mood is secretive because there are bits and pieces of Jenna that she doesn’t understand and the locked rooms in her house are to prevent her from fin..."
I totally agree with you Ella. The mood of the novel is really secretive and is leaving the reader turning page after page trying to figure out Jenna's story. Your post was very specific and overall really good.

message 21: by Nariah (new)

Nariah Range (nariah_range) | 8 comments The mood that the story created so far is secretive because as she's getting her memory back she's noticing that its not really her body that she's living in. And then she realized that she always listen to her mom when they tell her to go to her room even when she doesn't want to it's like shes being controlled. "I press down on the lip and the flips and crashes to the floor. Mother yells out, "Go to your room, Jenna!" I close my eyes. I struggle. I concentrate on every twitch within me. I have practiced. "How dare you play with my brain, How dare you program me!"(Pearson 152) That shows that when they told her to do something she had to do it because she was programmed to. This makes me feel like she can't trust a lot that she hears. I think the author was trying to create the mood so it's like the parents are the bad guys. They made the mood like that so you can see how they haven't been being truthful like hiding something.

message 22: by Nariah (new)

Nariah Range (nariah_range) | 8 comments Ella wrote: "So far, the mood is secretive. I feel that the mood is secretive because there are bits and pieces of Jenna that she doesn’t understand and the locked rooms in her house are to prevent her from fin..."

I believe with Ella when she said the mood is secretive because it seems like her parents are hiding a lot from her about the past and what happened after the accident. And every chapter she finds something out about her that her parents been hiding from her. Ella I loved the post you did very good.