The Adoration of Jenna Fox 2017 discussion

26 views
Pages 66-134

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Do the characters seem real and believable? Can you relate to their predicaments? To what extent do they remind you of yourself or someone you know?


message 2: by Allie (new)

Allie | 8 comments Yes I think all of the characters seem real and believable, except for Jenna. In my opinion, I just think that it seems a little unbelievable for a lab to grow human skin, and make it have normal human senses. "It's lab skin. Grown in the lab and genetically engineered to be nourished through Bio Gel" (pg 122). But I can relate to her predicaments because if I were Jenna, I would be mad at my parents too for not telling me about the accident. Also when she realizes that all of her arms and legs are made artificially from scientists, I would be mad because they didn't tell me right away. Jenna's dad says "Muscle areas are taken up with additional modified Bio Gel. Most movement is accomplished through digital signals within the bone structure... your brain, the ten percent we saved, was infused with additional Bio Gel" (pg 123). I would want to know as soon as I came out of my coma. Jenna kind of reminds me of myself because I would react the same way she did, and I would want to know exactly what happened to me.


message 3: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Havran | 6 comments Yes all the characters I've seen so far seem believable and real, besides Jenna. When Jenna was at the school she kept on correcting Ethan when he was talking about Walden. It seemed inhuman to me than she knows stuff like that when she can't even remember what she was like before the accident. The only time she seemed real was when was helping Ethan with his project. when she found out that she had 10% of real self left it shocked her and me what she started to have negative thoughts.


message 4: by Leah (last edited Feb 10, 2017 07:48AM) (new)

Leah Gorsich | 8 comments Some of the characters seem real, while others do not. The mom, dad, and grandma of Jenna seem real to me, and so does Allys. Ethan and Dane seem real, but sometime Dane has an empty personality. Jenna is the only one I think is somewhat inhuman, because of all the Bio Gel infused in her. She is only 10% her real self, (though I predict it's a little more than that). Even though they saved some of her skin, it is still mostly all gone. Basically nothing is hers, and that would be incredibly hard to deal with. I don't blame her for getting mad easily, because I would want to know everything too. I hate when people lie or keep things from me, and that is exactly what Jenna's parents are doing. I know that they are probably trying to keep her safe, but it is only making her feel worse. I wonder what she would be like now, if she never cut her hand, or what would happen if the parents told her sooner. She must have been miserable those few days after she found out. For example, Jenna called her hand imposters. "I loved my hands. My legs." I say it more to myself than to him. "I had never thought about it before. They were just there. And now I can see that these"- I turn them, looking at the palms-"these are different. They're not mine. They're imposters (pg 121). This shows that she is clearly sad about what happened to her. Even though she functions like a normal human, and her dad says she is one, I still think that she is a little less human than someone should be. One of my cousins reminds me of Allys. Allys is very nice, and funny, and so is my cousin. Other than that, I don't think that I, or other people that I know, are like any of the characters.


message 5: by Izzy (new)

Izzy | 2 comments In my opinion, most of the characters seem realistic other than Jenna. Although this is in the future, it is impossible and unrealistic to be able to make a whole body artificially. Especially the brain or skin. You can't duplicate something as advanced as the human body. I can relate to the characters in a way because some feel left out for their differences in themselves and they feel judged. That is why they turned to a smaller school with people who feel the same. It's because they want to feel comfortable. They remind me of myself and all my friends around me because we all have differences and can be self-conscious about them.


message 6: by Jordyn (new)

Jordyn | 7 comments In my opinion I don't think that all the characters seem real. One character that doesn't seem real is Jenna Fox. I say this because she only has 10% of her brain and most of her skin isn't hers. Even though this takes place in the future I still I think it's very weird that a lab grew her skin and it looks and works just as every other humans would. I think being only 10% yourself would be very hard just knowing you aren't the real you that all your old friends and family know and love. "It's lab skin. Grown in the lab and genetically engineered to be nourished through Bio Gel" (Pearson 122). I can relate to Jenna's predicaments because I too would be embarrassed knowing my skin was grown in a lab and I'm not the real me. I would want to know everything that happened and the real truth just as she did. Dane reminds me of one of my cousins. He's human, but he doesn't show very many emotions, it's like he's hollow on the inside.


message 7: by Leah (new)

Leah Gorsich | 8 comments Allie wrote: "Yes I think all of the characters seem real and believable, except for Jenna. In my opinion, I just think that it seems a little unbelievable for a lab to grow human skin, and make it have normal h..."
I agree 100% with everything you said. Even though it is in the future, you can't duplicate something that complex. Skin? Nerves? And blood? It just doesn't really make sense. I feel very bad for Jenna. She has to live knowing that she isn't even fully human. I also agree with what you said about her predicaments. I would definitely freak out if I saw blue gel in my skin. It would most likely make me puke. I liked your post, and it helped me start mine.


message 8: by Jordyn (new)

Jordyn | 7 comments Izzy wrote: "In my opinion, most of the characters seem realistic other than Jenna. Although this is in the future, it is impossible and unrealistic to be able to make a whole body artificially. Especially the ..."
I agree with what you're saying. The human body is very complex and seems almost impossible to duplicate. Transplants are realistic, but they are very hard to find all the right organs you need and is hard to live through surgeries. Even though science is getting more and more complex everyday, I just don't think creating your own organs and only saving 10% of your brain is realistic even though this isn't present time.


message 9: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 4 comments In my opinion and of the characters seem realistic besides Jenna. It seems a little weird how a lab grew on human skin. "It's lab skin. Grown in the lab and genetically engineered to be nourished through Bio Gel" (Pearson 122). I agree and could relate to Jenna because I would feel embarrassed if I found out my skin wasn't even mine and was grown in a lab. Also I could relate to her because I would be mad if my parents wouldn't tell me about the accident. I would want to know everything that happened, including the past and my friends. She seems human to characters in the book but in my opinion there is a lot of suspicion in the book.


message 10: by Ella (new)

Ella | 10 comments The characters seem real and believable, with the exception of Jenna. Since only 10% of her brain is the original her, she isn't as believable. The author could have been referring her to a victim of amnesia who has felt plenty of suffering, which is a reason she could be considered realistic. I cannot relate to their predicaments because the technology that tore this family apart, hasn’t been invented. “‘I’m illegal. No matter how you play with words . . . I’m illegal. I don’t even know if I’m human,’” (Pearson 129). I used this quote to emphasize that the technology Jenna’s father invented is illegal and since Jenna is practically made from it, she would be in an extensive amount of trouble. The characters don’t remind me of me or anyone I know because my lifestyle is completely different from their lifestyle and how they are in constant hiding.


message 11: by Emma (new)

Emma Casebolt | 8 comments In my opinion all of the characters in "The Adoration of Jenna Fox" are pretty realistic and believable besides Jenna. Jenna is more science than human but she still has all of her human feelings her body is just not human. Jenna found out what she really was and freaked out because her body isn't her own anymore. I think personally anybody would freak out if their family had been hiding a secret about who they really are now. I know I for sure would because Jenna doesn't feel comfortable in her own skin and neither would I if I were going through what she is. "I shudder, repulsed at everything that I may or may not be, wanting to escape but trapped again. By what? Myself? I don't know who or what I am anymore." (Pearson 124). I can also relate to Jenna if my parents didn't tell me what turned my world upside down I would be confused and feeling so many emotions at once like she is right now. Jenna is human when the story is talking about her and the other characters but when it is talking about her accident she's not but when they are she seems more like a science experiment than a 17 year old girl.


message 12: by Janna (new)

Janna Wesselink | 10 comments I think that the characters and the setting seem really believable and they could be real. I have a forgetful personality so I can kind of relate to Jenna to an extent. I also think that a lot of people are that way so we can all relate to Jenna's memory loss to an extent. We also at some point probably lose friends or don't remember who are our friends and who are our enemies or why we call a person by a name or why we don't call someone by a name. A lot of us may forget who we are or what our weaknesses are or were. "Weaknesses? You have no weaknesses? It skips through me. Catches. Weakness. Please, Jenna. We need you. Why do I see Kara's and Locke's faces? They couldn't have been my weaknesses. They feel more like my strengths," (Pearson 71). Also when she finds out that she only has 10 % of her original body it just proves to me again that we should be thankful for what we have and make it known that we are thankful for the people in our lives.


message 13: by Janna (new)

Janna Wesselink | 10 comments Izzy wrote: "In my opinion, most of the characters seem realistic other than Jenna. Although this is in the future, it is impossible and unrealistic to be able to make a whole body artificially. Especially the ..."
I agree with you, Izzy. At the beginning of the story Jenna was more believable but now it is just over the top and unbelievable. I agree that the characters such as Allys and Ethan are very self conscious about their problems and feel very judged and I can relate because I am self conscious and feel sometimes judged for my image which I feel is wrong and they should be able to be proud of who they are.


message 14: by Janna (new)

Janna Wesselink | 10 comments Ella wrote: "The characters seem real and believable, with the exception of Jenna. Since only 10% of her brain is the original her, she isn't as believable. The author could have been referring her to a victim ..."
I agree Ella. The character of Jenna could have been a little more realistic. The emphasis of your quote just shows how not realistic the character of Jenna. The author could have done a little more of a realistic character.


message 15: by Emma (new)

Emma | 9 comments I think all the characters play their role very nicely, and all go along with the story. Besides Jenna Fox she is a bit different from everyone, Jenna is not like any other human she is a bit different. In these few chapters Jenna finds out what really happened to her body and what they put in her so she could live. I mean if I would be in Jenna's position right now I would freak out like she did I would want to know so much more and why they did this to me. I would also be mad that my family had been hiding that secret for me if I was Jenna. Her mom seems to know so much more then Jenna about her accident I could relate by if my mom did not tell me everything i would be very mad. "Accident, I say much to loudly. "I had a accident. And in still recovering." (Pearson 78)


message 16: by Allie (new)

Allie | 8 comments Ella wrote: "The characters seem real and believable, with the exception of Jenna. Since only 10% of her brain is the original her, she isn't as believable. The author could have been referring her to a victim ..."

I agree with what your saying. I think Jenna is the only non-realistic character too because like you said she only has 10 percent of her brain left. It just doesn't seem possible to me.


message 17: by Emma (new)

Emma Casebolt | 8 comments Leah wrote: "Some of the characters seem real, while others do not. The mom, dad, and grandma of Jenna seem real to me, and so does Allys. Ethan and Dane seem real, but sometime Dane has an empty personality. J..."
I agree with you Leah. I think Jenna is going through a lot right now and should have the right to be confused and a little freaked out. I also agree with you on Jenna being the only non-realistic character in "The Adoration of Jenna Fox" she just seems more non-human than anyone else.


message 18: by Vivian (new)

Vivian Shepherd | 8 comments I think all the characters seem real except for Jenna because I don't think you can be real if you have fake body parts and only 10% of your brain is left. All the other characters seem somewhat real except for the fact that they kept secrets for quite a long time that doesn't seem real. I think that I would be mad too if everybody was keeping secrets about me from me. So the way jenna reacted would most likely be how I react. "Your other leg is artificial, too?" (Pearson 74). I would want to know right away everything about me and my past right when I woke up from the coma.


message 19: by Emma (new)

Emma | 9 comments Vivian wrote: "I think all the characters seem real except for Jenna because I don't think you can be real if you have fake body parts and only 10% of your brain is left. All the other characters seem somewhat re..." I agree with you and what you think of Jenna and how she is not all human, and I agree with how you feel you would react if you were Jenna and good detail in your post.


message 20: by Ella (new)

Ella | 10 comments Janna wrote: "I think that the characters and the setting seem really believable and they could be real. I have a forgetful personality so I can kind of relate to Jenna to an extent. I also think that a lot of p..."Janna, I agree with you when you mention that people are forgetful and should be grateful for what and who they have. However, I disagree with you when you state that Jenna is a completely believable character. Personally, I think of Jenna as a somewhat realistic character because of her circumstance. She is only 10% of the original her and being built in a lab, out of a great deal of technology, in my opinion, is just too unnatural.


message 21: by Ella (new)

Ella | 10 comments Emma wrote: "In my opinion all of the characters in "The Adoration of Jenna Fox" are pretty realistic and believable besides Jenna. Jenna is more science than human but she still has all of her human feelings h..."
Emma, I completely agree with you, especially when you claimed that Jenna seems more like a science experiment than a seventeen year old girl. Jenna is an experiment that will eventually change the world and may or may not change the definition of normal. If everyone ended up like Jenna, what do you think the world would be like?


message 22: by Vivian (new)

Vivian Shepherd | 8 comments Allie wrote: "Yes I think all of the characters seem real and believable, except for Jenna. In my opinion, I just think that it seems a little unbelievable for a lab to grow human skin, and make it have normal h..." I completely agree with you, I basically think the same thing. I don't think it would be possible to grow human skin and things like that. I also would be mad just like you if I were Jenna.


message 23: by Nariah (new)

Nariah Range (nariah_range) | 8 comments Yes, I think all the characters seem real and believable, except Jenna because she survived in a horrible accident, nearly died. In my opinion, I just think that it seems a little unbelievable for a lab to grow human skin, "It's lab skin. Grown in the lab and genetically engineered to be nourished through Bio Gel" (pg 122). But I can relate to her predicaments because if I were Jenna, I would be upset but not mad at my parents for not telling me about the accident. But why I wouldn't be angry is cause that was the only way to save my life, and I would be glad that they saved me instead of letting me die and missing the rest of my life. Also when she realizes that all of her arms and legs are made artificially from scientists, I would not take that in a good way. Jenna kind of reminds me of a robot kind of because she isn't a human she has a full body of Bio Gel and when you think of a robot they are controlled in some type of way they have to be activated to turn on or off. This is a definition of a robot, a machine resembling a human being and able to replicate certain human movements and functions automatically. And that's technically like Jenna. That's what I think about when I think about Jenna.


message 24: by Nariah (new)

Nariah Range (nariah_range) | 8 comments Ella wrote: "The characters seem real and believable, with the exception of Jenna. Since only 10% of her brain is the original her, she isn't as believable. The author could have been referring her to a victim ..."

I believe Ella on the exception oh Jenna because she only living with 10% of brain. Is that even possible?


back to top