The Adoration of Jenna Fox 2017 discussion

17 views
Pages 1-65

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

What is unique about the setting of the book and how does it enhance or take away from the story?


message 2: by Allie (new)

Allie | 8 comments The setting of the book is unique because it takes place at Jenna's new home in California. She lives in a wealthy neighborhood, and Jenna's mom thinks that the neighbors are strange. The setting enhances the story because it shows us what Jenna's personality is like when she starts to meet the new neighbors. The first neighbor she meets is Clayton Bender and he is an environmental artist. When she was walking back from Clayton's house she slipped in a pond and started having a flash back memory from when she was little. " I feel myself fall, but I can't see where I am falling to. The world spins. My mouth opens. Screams. My hands thrash. Water pours in" (pg 26). Also "I remember birds. White birds. I remember falling. I fell so far. And I screamed and water filled my mouth" (pg 27). That quote really helped enhance the story because when she fell into the pond, she had a flashback, so it helped us learn a little bit more about her old self.


message 3: by Leah (last edited Feb 05, 2017 09:20AM) (new)

Leah Gorsich | 8 comments The setting of the story enhances it a lot. Jenna, her mom, and her grandma live in a rich neighborhood, in California. This book takes place in the future, and is very uncommon and uneventful. When Jenna awoke from her coma, she went for a walk. On her way, she met a man named Clayton Bender, an artist, and started to talk to him. She forgot mostly everything that happened to her before the coma, but her memory is progressively getting better. She starts putting piece by piece together, and most likely will regain some more memories. For example, Jenna remembers that she loved hot chocolate, so she made some for herself. "I remember! I love hot chocolate" (pg 62). Since the setting is uneventful, she doesn't have much to do. This is what is interesting about her neighborhood. Many people in it are weird, or sketchy. The setting is definitely more uncommon than most. You start to see Jenna's personality more and more, when she visits other neighbors and friends.


message 4: by Allie (last edited Feb 21, 2017 06:20AM) (new)

Allie | 8 comments Leah, I agree with what you said about Jenna's unique neighborhood. I also think that what makes it so weird is that the neighbors are weird/sketchy because they have unusual jobs.


message 5: by Izzy (new)

Izzy | 2 comments The setting of this story is unique because it has rarely changed so far and is far into the future. The main setting is Jenna's home in a quiet neighborhood. The setting enhances this book because its a strange and mysterious lifestyle Jenna has woken up into and she is slowly learning about her neighbors and surroundings. Her main focus is to go to school and regaining memory after a "deadly" crash she got into, the thing is she survived. How? We don't know quite yet but we will hopefully string together the clues of the book and figure it out. Another twist is that her neighbor that lives behind her named Clayton Bender is a total stranger, but seems to know a little more about the neighborhood and Jenna then she knows herself.


message 6: by Leah (new)

Leah Gorsich | 8 comments Allie wrote: "The setting of the book is unique because it takes place at Jenna's new home in California. She lives in a wealthy neighborhood, and Jenna's mom thinks that the neighbors are strange. The setting e..."

I agree with your thoughts about how the setting affects the story. Jenna must have been very confused when she woke up from her coma... it would have been awful. I like how you mentioned her flashback. I never thought about that. I liked your post, because it helped me think about different thoughts that weren't mine.


message 7: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Havran | 6 comments The setting takes away some of the futuristic feel to the story, by having Jenna describe her house compared to the other houses in the neighborhood. Her house is much more run down than the other houses in the beginning of the story. Another thing that takes away from the story is the stream that Jenna goes across to go to Mr. Bender's house. Since theirs no bridge its very unsafe for anyone to cross, like when she slipped going back to the house. When she wakes up after the fall, she remembers drowning and it seems like a weird way the remember some thing.


message 8: by Jordyn (new)

Jordyn | 7 comments The Setting of the story is unique because it hasn't changed very much but it also enhances the story. Jenna lives in a wealthier neighborhood with her grandmother, Lily and her mother in California. Her neighborhood is quiet, but her mom thinks the neighbors are a little strange. When Jenna is looking out her window she see's her neighbor, Clayton Bender squatting in his back yard and Jenna gets curious and goes out to see him. Mr. Bender is an Environmental Artist and he teaches her a little bit about her work. As Jenna is walking back to her home she slips and falls into a pond and a memory comes back. This enhances the story because Jenna no longer remembers her past and this is a flashback of an incident that happened and it leaves you wondering more. When Jenna get home she is furious that Jenna left home. "Mother explodes. 'I told you, Jenna! I told you! I said don't leave the house!"' (Pearson 27). I think the setting is enhancing the story because she is starting to get flashbacks of her old life.


message 9: by Jordyn (new)

Jordyn | 7 comments Allie wrote: "The setting of the book is unique because it takes place at Jenna's new home in California. She lives in a wealthy neighborhood, and Jenna's mom thinks that the neighbors are strange. The setting e..."
I agree with what you're saying because Jenna falling into the pond is an important event because it's when an important memory comes back and her mom gets very angry that she left and she never says why. It makes you more curious about Jenna and her past.


message 10: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Havran | 6 comments I have to agree with you on the hot chocolate part of the story. I thought it was weird when she couldn't have hot chocolate because her stomach is weak, but she could have different liquids. Her liking hot chocolate did a 180 when her mother said no.


message 11: by Ella (new)

Ella | 10 comments The unique setting enhances the story because Jenna doesn't understand why she is where she is. In my opinion, since Jenna is confused and doesn't remember what happened to her, this makes the story more interesting and forces me to want to read on to find the answers. If Jenna remembered more, than there wouldn't be as much of a mystery and the story would lose some of its charm. The setting is unusual and that also adds to the story by making me more eager to find out what happened in Jenna's past and what is to come in the future. "The hot chocolate was tasteless. Just like my nutrients. I know you can forget a lot of things, but how can you forget taste? When the mug slipped from my fingers, Lily caught it. And hardly any spilled on the floor," (Pearson 63). This quote from the novel makes me impatient to read why she is forgetting senses most are born with and is Lily really who she says she is?


message 12: by Vivian (new)

Vivian Shepherd | 8 comments The setting of the book is unique because it seems very gloomy and a very rich sort of setting. The setting enhances the story and is in a neighborhood where the "mom" thinks the neighbors are super weird and that Jenna shouldn't talk to them. Jenna goes to meet the neighbors anyways as she is wandering around and walking to school. After Jenna meets the first neighbor she realizes he works outside and that he isn't that weird after all. On the way back home jenna slips into a pond and has her first memory of her other life before her car accident. When she gets home her parents and lily seem very more cautious now and scared. When Jenna first asks to go to school her mom says no but then the next day her mom said she changed her mind and she can go to school. When Jenna is walking to school she talks to the strange neighbor Dane who has a White House, white teeth ,and white pjs. As she continues to go to school she has coffee with someone who apparently knows what type of accident she was in and that's where she realizes she was in a car accident. "A car accident" (Pearson 59).


message 13: by Emma (new)

Emma Casebolt | 8 comments What is unique about the setting in the novel "The Adoration of Jenna Fox" is that it enhances the the whole story and the plot that goes along with the story. Jenna Fox has just woken up from a year and a half long coma and can't remember her past and who she used to be. Piece by piece she is starting to have faint memories of her past. Her first memory came back to her when she was walking across a pond on the way back from her neighbor Mr. Bender's house she slipped and fell and had a flashback of the car accident. Her only friend right now is her neighbor Mr. Bender who's name is not even his own. "You're right. I'm not Clayton Bender, but I took his name almost thirty years ago." (Pearson 56). Jenna's mother does not want Jenna to meet new people in her new neighborhood including Mr. Bender because her mother thinks the neighborhood people are weird and shouldn't know anything about Jenna and the accident. Jenna ends up convincing her mom that she wants and needs to go to school and her mother allows her to. Jenna is pleased but still knows her family is hiding something from her because she overheard her mom and her grandmother arguing about what is best for her. Jenna also ends up finding out about her grandfather and grandmother's past and what happened when she was young. Jenna is gaining knowledge of her previous life before the accident and she is slowly gaining curiosity about this big family secret no one wants her to know and people in her neighborhood including Dane the boy who lives at the end of the street.


message 14: by Emma (new)

Emma | 9 comments The setting is unique because it enhances the setting by creating a gloomy and mysterious feel to it. Jenna Fox is a 17 year old girl who was in coma for more than a year, but Jenna does not remember the accident or how she survived it. Everyday she is starting to remember more and more pieces of her life. She had to relearn some of the stuff she used to do like hug or learn how to say more words. Jenna's sister and mom are scared for Jenna and what life has to bring her. Jenna is starting to wonder about her parents and if they could have done anything to wake her up earlier. When Jenna's parents talk about their neighborhood and when they moved to their new house a day after Jenna got out of coma. That makes Jenna wonder how could they of gotten more perfect time. Everything was already packed and ready to go by the time Jenna woke up. No one wants her to know how she got in a coma. "after I spent over a year in a coma, how could they have predicted exactly when I wake up and then move to California precisely at that time? was it only a coincidence?" (Pearson 32). Here is another example. "Why would they steal a year and a half of my life? What kind of parents are they?" (Pearson 32).


message 15: by Janna (new)

Janna Wesselink | 10 comments The setting is unique because it has a very mysterious mood which adds to the story very well and also the very basic words that Jenna uses just makes me think of how fortunate we are with our memory, family members who love us, and our senses that we get to have and we take advantage of. The mysterious mood grows throughout these pages when Jenna at the beginning introduces herself as if she weren't really that person. " I used to be someone. Someone named Jenna Fox. That's what they tell me," (Pearson 3). I think she could be a totally different person who woke up from the coma and ended up in Jenna Fox's identity. She also could be Jenna Fox and remember everything or never remember anything ever again.


message 16: by Emma (new)

Emma Casebolt | 8 comments Emma wrote: "The setting is unique because it enhances the setting by creating a gloomy and mysterious feel to it. Jenna Fox is a 17 year old girl who was in coma for more than a year, but Jenna does not rememb..."
I agree with Emma how the setting enhances the story and how Jenna is remembering her past every day even more. Also, how Jenna is beginning to realize there is a secret she doesn't quite know yet. Overall Emma's post was very well thought out and had good details.


message 17: by Ella (new)

Ella | 10 comments Janna, when you said, "...Jenna uses just makes me think of how fortunate we are with our memory, family members who love us, and our senses that we get to have and we take advantage of," I never even realized that and you are totally right. I also agree with your thoughts about Jenna, when she believes she isn't a real person. Additionally, I wouldn't be surprised if the author reveals a game-changing secret about Lily. What are your thoughts on Lily?


message 18: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 4 comments The setting of the story is unique because it takes place with Jenna, her mom, and her grandma live in a very wealthy and quiet neighborhood and house in California. Jenna's mom thinks that the neighbors are weird and strange. It takes away from the story because it is very mysterious and quiet and seems very far away from the outside world. Jenna doesn't remember anything which makes it more interesting to want to find out more. Jenna also keeps having some flashbacks she remembered how she loved hot chocolate. This makes me want to read more and find out what was her past like? And are people really who they say the are?


message 19: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 4 comments Valerie wrote: "The setting takes away some of the futuristic feel to the story, by having Jenna describe her house compared to the other houses in the neighborhood. Her house is much more run down than the other ..."
I agree, I thought it was weird how she remembered something after she fell too. Also how her house is more run down than the others. Makes me wonder what was her life like back then? And was it the same?


message 20: by Emma (new)

Emma | 9 comments Emma wrote: "What is unique about the setting in the novel "The Adoration of Jenna Fox" is that it enhances the the whole story and the plot that goes along with the story. Jenna Fox has just woken up from a ye..." I agree with your point of view of the setting I also agree how the setting goes along with the book. I like how your post is very detailed and goes in depth of the story. Do you think that her parents had anything to do about her being in a coma?


message 21: by Emma (new)

Emma | 9 comments I think all the characters are all very realistic and believable, and play the part of their role nicely. Jenna seems like a nice girl and is very curious about the world and wanting to find out more and more about how she got in a coma, but it seems that jennas mother does not want her to find out how she got in a coma. NOT DONE


message 22: by Janna (new)

Janna Wesselink | 10 comments Ella wrote: "Janna, when you said, "...Jenna uses just makes me think of how fortunate we are with our memory, family members who love us, and our senses that we get to have and we take advantage of," I never e..."
I think that Lily has a secret and she doesn't want anyone to know especially Jenna. Every time that Lily says I have to go or she just walks away from Jenna I always wonder what is up with her. I really wonder sometimes she could be doing something or a part of something and the book doesn't really describe Lily at all. Even in the videos, Lily hasn't ever been in them.


message 23: by Janna (new)

Janna Wesselink | 10 comments Ella wrote: "The unique setting enhances the story because Jenna doesn't understand why she is where she is. In my opinion, since Jenna is confused and doesn't remember what happened to her, this makes the stor..."
I agree with you that Lily is very suspicious and I wonder if she has a important secret that might help Jenna remember who she is. I also really wonder what will happen on her first day of school. I also agree that the confused nature of Jenna makes me want to read more. I really wonder what is up with her senses and wonder if she will regain any of them.


message 24: by Vivian (new)

Vivian Shepherd | 8 comments Janna wrote: "The setting is unique because it has a very mysterious mood which adds to the story very well and also the very basic words that Jenna uses just makes me think of how fortunate we are with our memo..." I agree with you about the setting and I also agree with you about you that we are very fortunate to know so much vocab.


message 25: by Nariah (new)

Nariah Range (nariah_range) | 8 comments The setting is unique because it has a complicated but mysterious mood which makes the story stand out. In the story Jenna is struggling to figure out what happen in the accident that caused her to be in a coma for one year. She wonders why her parents don’t talk about the accident, and why she doesn’t remember anything about the accident. “ I don’t remember my mother, my father, or Lily. I don’t remember that I once lived in Boston. I don’t remember the accident. I don’t remember Jenna Fox”( Pearson 7). In that quote she can’t remember anything like who she is or her family.


message 26: by Nariah (new)

Nariah Range (nariah_range) | 8 comments Allie wrote: "The setting of the book is unique because it takes place at Jenna's new home in California. She lives in a wealthy neighborhood, and Jenna's mom thinks that the neighbors are strange. The setting e..."
I agree with you because you think the setting of the book is unique and how it takes place in a new home in California, and she lives in a wealthy neighborhood.


back to top