I am Number Four 2017 discussion

Chapter 16-23

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

What moods has the book created for you so far? Why did you feel that way? Was the author trying to create this mood for you? If so, then how did he/she do it? If not, what made you feel this way?

message 2: by Cole (last edited Feb 13, 2017 11:01AM) (new)

Cole | 8 comments A mood the book gives me is curious. "It's almost five o'clock, and I'm starting to panic,"(Lore 905). I felt that way because events in the book give hints that something big will happen, such as Henri being captured by the magazine writers. Yes the author was trying to create this mood and I think he did it with small events building up suspense. What does anyone else think?

message 3: by Rachel (last edited Feb 15, 2017 10:06AM) (new)

Rachel | 7 comments I think that this story provides a dark and mysterious feel. On the surface, in a way, it has some aspects that show a more calm feeling. This gives the readers the knowledge that something is about to happen. For instance, when john begins to settle into his new home and begins to find friends who care about him, the readers can assume that this calm environment will not last long. I think the author meant to give the story this mood. It really adds to the story when you don't know when something will happen, but you know it will.

message 4: by Isaac (new)

Isaac Anderson | 8 comments This book has created a mysterious feel to it. I feel this way because it always leaves open ends on things, and you always have the question in the back of your head such as: What comes next? The author is trying to create this mood. Like I said, Pittacus Lore leaves so many opens ends. "How did the man who called know about the mogadorians?" "He said he had captured one of them and tortured it." "Where?" asked Henri. "I don't know. His phone number was from the area code near Columbus, so north of here. Maybe sixty or eighty miles." (Lore 249) Also when the mogadorian came into the house they were in and they escaped so quick without barely getting a glimpse of the creature.

message 5: by Logan (new)

Logan | 7 comments I think the mood has added a cold feeling to the book. I feel this way because they make it a point that they are never around the winter until they come to Ohio. "First the wind, then the cold, then the snow." (Lore 261) Also they say how much snow they get.

message 6: by Logan (new)

Logan | 7 comments Cole wrote: "A mood the book gives me is curious. "It's almost five o'clock, and I'm starting to panic,"(Lore 905). I felt that way because events in the book give hints that something big will happen, such as ..."
I agree with Cole that it also gives it a mysterious feeling like something big is going to happen.

message 7: by Huy (new)

Huy Thai | 8 comments I think the Author wanted to have a very suspenseful and mysterious mood because once John finally settled down and made friends, you just know that in any good book something big will happen. It's inevitable and slowly truths will be told about his and his people's past through his visions, and stories told by Henri.

message 8: by Huy (new)

Huy Thai | 8 comments Rachel wrote: "I think that this story provides a dark and mysterious feel. On the surface, in a way, it has some aspects that show a more calm feeling. This gives the readers the knowledge that something is abou..."
I agree, you could tell something will happen because John already saw the horrors of being catched by the Mogadorians through the visions of the destruction of his home planet, It's inevitable.

message 9: by Abby (new)

Abby Pilcher (abpilcher) | 4 comments I believe the mood of this story is suspenseful. I feel that its suspenseful because you never really know whats gonna happen next "Planet Lorian? The Loric? 1-3 Dead. 4? 7 Trailed in Spain. 9 on the run in SA." (Lore 251). Yes, I feel that the author is trying to make it suspenseful because the reader is constantly left with questions.

message 10: by Casey (new)

Casey Walker | 8 comments I think the mood is exiting and thrilling. The story is starting to dd a little more action to it and you don't know what's going to happen next. With John recently learning to use telekinesis it adds an excitement to the story making you think there is hope to fight off the Mogodarians. I think the story is going to start adding more action and John might try and fight off the Mogodarians at one point.

message 11: by Haley (new)

Haley | 6 comments Casey wrote: "I think the mood is exiting and thrilling. The story is starting to dd a little more action to it and you don't know what's going to happen next. With John recently learning to use telekinesis it a..."
I agree. I would love it if there was a huge fight with the mogodarians. If there was such a huge fight like this who do think would win?

message 12: by Cole (new)

Cole | 8 comments Logan wrote: "I think the mood has added a cold feeling to the book. I feel this way because they make it a point that they are never around the winter until they come to Ohio. "First the wind, then the cold, th..." I agree with Logan about the cold feeling. They are walking in the snow all winter long and it doesn't give a strong idea of the theme.

message 13: by Haley (new)

Haley | 6 comments The book gives off a very mysterious mood. I feel the mysterious vibe because the book will not tell us anything. one mystery that needs to be solved is what is inside of that chest? Anything could be in that thing. All of this book is one big mystery. What is in the chest? Is john going to die? what is henri and why is he trusted enough? Are the others going to die?

message 14: by Isaac (new)

Isaac Anderson | 8 comments Huy wrote: "I think the Author wanted to have a very suspenseful and mysterious mood because once John finally settled down and made friends, you just know that in any good book something big will happen. It's..."
I agree. Because even though john and henry have finally settled down, like Huy said, in any good book something big is always coming up. John is beginning to be able to multitask while on fire. He will put that to the test soon.

message 15: by Corbin (new)

Corbin Emrich | 4 comments I get a mysterious mood from the story. I get this feeling because the book dosnt tell you anything just like Haley said. The chest has a big part of why i get the mysterious feeling or even a dark feeling because you dont know what is in the chest. Once again just like what Haley said.

message 16: by Colette (new)

Colette Nowers | 8 comments I think the mood is mysterious because you never know what will happen next but there is a lot of suspense. "Planet Lorien? The Loric? 1-3 Dead 4? 7 Trailed in Spain 9 on the Run in SA 9 What is he talking about? What do these numbers have to do with invading Earth?)' (Lore 251) I think this creates suspense and mystery because you never know whats going to happen next.

message 17: by Colette (new)

Colette Nowers | 8 comments Abby wrote: "I believe the mood of this story is suspenseful. I feel that its suspenseful because you never really know whats gonna happen next "Planet Lorian? The Loric? 1-3 Dead. 4? 7 Trailed in Spain. 9 on t..."

I agree I think that the author used a lot of questions to build suspense and mystery. I also think that a lot of mystery is added because in the quote there isn't full sentences the author only used partial sentences.

message 18: by Casey (new)

Casey Walker | 8 comments Huy wrote: "I think the Author wanted to have a very suspenseful and mysterious mood because once John finally settled down and made friends, you just know that in any good book something big will happen. It's..."

I agree, I think that throughout the story the suspense keeps building with Johns legacies developing. He's starting to use his powers for good uses, such as fighting while on fire. I believe the author is leading towards something big happening in the end and that's why he keeps adding more suspsense to the story.