I am Number Four 2017 discussion

Chapter 8-15

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Do the characters seem real and believable? Can you relate to their predicaments? To what extent do they remind you of yourself or someone you know?

message 2: by Huy (new)

Huy Thai | 8 comments I could relate to Sam because it would seem like he is extremely shy and awkward but with a friend like John, he is open and is willing to help John when he needs help (Lore 99)

message 3: by Maddie (last edited Feb 09, 2017 07:20PM) (new)

Maddie Morgan | 3 comments I can relate to both Sam and Henri, but for different reasons. When it comes to Sam, he is incredibly quiet and shy, not really the type to step outside the lines. However, he's almost critical of his actions, seemingly needing confirmation by even his closest friends. "“Sam!” I yell with more enthusiasm than I intended. He stumbles over. “You coming on the ride with
us?” He shrugs. “Do you mind?” (Lore 72).

I can also relate to Henri's constant worry and fear that John may not develop in time, which I can reflect on myself. I quite often I wonder if important traits will ever appear or if I'l ever be able to reach my full potential in time. "Henri shakes his head. The muscles in his jaw are flexed. His moods and impatience are getting to me. He watches Bernie Kosar trot off with the ball, then he sighs." (Lore 82)

However, I feel as though my viewpoint on these characters could change as i continue to progress forwards. Despite that, I think that Sam and Henri have universal traits that all readers can see in themselves. Thoughts on this?

message 4: by Parker (new)

Parker | 3 comments A character that seems real is Henri. This is because he has experienced many things humans have like loss. He misses his wife, Julianne everyday. He's also trying to be a parent and protect John. He is a bit overprotective because of the death of almost all the Lorien's and because John's the next to die. But he is still a good guardian.

message 5: by Rachel (last edited Feb 10, 2017 10:13AM) (new)

Rachel | 7 comments I find most of the people in this story to be relatable and realistic. I think the students at the high school can relate most to the readers. The story includes a lot of details from school that can be related to by me. Henri reminds me of my parents because he truly cares about John as if he was his own child. He makes sacrifices for John that remind me of sacrifices made by parents. Looking at John struggling to find his powers gives a perspective I think most readers can relate to. If you put this on your own life, you realize that we all want to get to our full potential. It may not be as drastic as finding superpowers, but it gives the readers a relatable topic to reflect off of.

message 6: by Isaac (new)

Isaac Anderson | 8 comments Yes I think the characters and everything in this story could be realistic (besides the talk of aliens). I can relate to john's predicaments in many in many ways. Just one of them is that someone is trying to embarrass him outside of school at the Halloween parade. I have had people try to embarrass me too. Also John feels feelings for this sarah chick "after everything that happened in the woods, with sarah's warm hand in mine, the smile doesn't leave my face" (Lore 164). And i guess you could say that I have friends who have had feelings for someone in the past too. John is a ladies man.

message 7: by Logan (new)

Logan | 7 comments Yes I think that the people in the story are realistic. They are realistic because they all have problems just like normal people. I breathe heavily, for show. "I-have-asthma," I say (Lore 105). Because John acts like he has asthma he seems to be somebody with a realistic problem.

message 8: by Huy (new)

Huy Thai | 8 comments Maddie wrote: "I can relate to both Sam and Henri, but for different reasons. When it comes to Sam, he is incredibly quiet and shy, not really the type to step outside the lines. However, he's almost critical of ..." I agree, at some point in one's live they would experience anxiety, disappointment, and shyness. Because of how these feelings are so universal and almost everyone can relate to, I agree that these characters could very be real.

message 9: by Colette (new)

Colette Nowers | 8 comments Yes, besides the fact that Henri and John are aliens I think they are very realistic characters. Because they fall in love with others, get injured, and experience emotions like humans do. I can relate to Sam because he is just a normal human who is quiet and shy. Sam also trusts John a lot. And always tries to help them out whenever they need it. I can also relate to Henri, because he has his wife back home who he always misses and will love until he dies. (Lore 172) and he acts like a normal dad would towards John.

message 10: by Cole (new)

Cole | 8 comments All the characters seem believable and real except some of Johns traits such as his strength, because he could lift things way heavier than him. I know people that act like Sam and Sarah. Henri also seems real because he was very protective and helpful with John, but didn't have any extra-ordinary traits. Henri explained how the cepan were the teachers of the garde and didn't have powers(Lore). I can relate to John because I also get annoyed when people do something I don't want even if it's what's best.

message 11: by Cole (new)

Cole | 8 comments Logan wrote: "Yes I think that the people in the story are realistic. They are realistic because they all have problems just like normal people. I breathe heavily, for show. "I-have-asthma," I say (Lore 105). Be..." I agree that most people are realistic, but their is a much bigger conflict with John than the other characters, and his conflict, as aliens, sets him apart from others.

message 12: by Haley (new)

Haley | 6 comments All characters are believable, besides the alien like features John has like his super strength and speed. I relate to John because he gets sorta mad or upset when something bad happens. He is always switching schools just like i have in the past. John is now in Ohio and that is were I used to live. I bet if they move again in this book I will relate more to him. 'I swear I will break you in half if you don't tell me the truth" (Lore 155). This shows a little on how un-realistic some parts of the book is. The boy who John says this to probably doesn't think John could actually do this, however John could probably tear this dude apart with ease. To me this shows how sometimes in the book things get a little un-realistic.

message 13: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 7 comments Haley wrote: "All characters are believable, besides the alien like features John has like his super strength and speed. I relate to John because he gets sorta mad or upset when something bad happens. He is alwa..."

I agree. The tendencies that the characters possess as people are very easy to relate to. Looking more into John's more fictional side, such as his extreme strength and fire resistance, make it a little harder to relate to. Looking at how characters react and what they say in certain situations also brings in how well the characters can connect to the people reading it.

message 14: by Bryna (new)

Bryna Gloeckner | 3 comments Yes, the characters seem real, I can mainly relate to Sam. Sam is a sweet kid that everybody picks on because he is a little odd. “Sam Goode was standing behind it and his sudden appearance from out of nowhere startles me. He is looking forlorn, wearing a white NASA T-shirt only slightly different from the one he wore yesterday” (Lore 49). Sam reminds me a lot of my brother. They are both, what could only be described as, lovable nerds. I think Sam will develop more confidence as the story progresses, based on the challenges he will have to endure.

message 15: by Isaac (new)

Isaac Anderson | 8 comments Logan wrote: "Yes I think that the people in the story are realistic. They are realistic because they all have problems just like normal people. I breathe heavily, for show. "I-have-asthma," I say (Lore 105). Be..."
I agree that they are realistic. Because people in the real world do have asthma. They also encounter many other problems that people in the real world do too.

message 16: by Casey (new)

Casey Walker | 8 comments Yes, the characters in the story do seem real. John and Sam get put in many situations that could happen in real life. For instance they are constantly getting picked on and bullied by other highschoolers. Even though John is an alien and has superpowers he has many human traits too. He wants to start a life and life In Paradise, Ohio for a while because he is tired of moving constantly. Sam is a realistic character because I see him as the smart kid that gets picked on all the time. Many people have to deal with getting bullied in real life for the way they act and things they like to do. That's why Sam seams like such a real character.

message 17: by Abby (new)

Abby Pilcher (abpilcher) | 4 comments yes I can relate to the characters predicaments and I do find them real and believable. I relate to Sam because like me he's pretty quite around his friends "As were waiting I see Sam hovering off to the side as though contemplating whether or not to approach us."

message 18: by Casey (new)

Casey Walker | 8 comments Parker wrote: "A character that seems real is Henri. This is because he has experienced many things humans have like loss. He misses his wife, Julianne everyday. He's also trying to be a parent and protect John. ..."

I agree that Henri is a realistic character. He takes the roll of a father for John and almost treats him as a son. Henri has many traits of a human such as being caring and compassionate for John. This is why I agree Henri s a realistic character.

message 19: by Corbin (new)

Corbin Emrich | 4 comments I thinks that the characters do seem real but i cant really relate to any of the characters. I would say that i relate to sam but im not shy and quiet. But then again i guess that sometimes if im meeting new people i can be kinda shy so i guess i relate to sam.

message 20: by Colette (new)

Colette Nowers | 8 comments Rachel wrote: "I find most of the people in this story to be relatable and realistic. I think the students at the high school can relate most to the readers. The story includes a lot of details from school that c..."

I agree that Henri is a realistic character because of how he cares for John. Much like a normal parent cares for their own child. I also agree that most of the high school students are similar to real students.