The Hunger Games 2017 discussion

29 views
Chapter 21-End

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

What specific themes did the author emphasize throughout the novel? What do you think he or she is trying to get across to the reader? How did the author try to do this?


message 2: by Nathaniel (last edited Feb 06, 2017 01:18PM) (new)

Nathaniel | 8 comments the them was force and hope. That the hunger games is just a blood bath and pain for the tributes just for entertainment until cattiness and peta tried to make sure they would not even get one victor and kill them self at the same time with deadly fruit to prove a point and stand a ground.


message 3: by Arwind (new)

Arwind Sivakumar | 9 comments I think that the author tried to emphasize the importance of family and friendship. The author is trying to say that that family and friendship are some very important things in life. The author emphasized it by having Katniss volunteer for Prim and that shows the love for her sister. She emphasizes friendship when she decides to die with Peeta at the end of the Games


message 4: by Arwind (new)

Arwind Sivakumar | 9 comments Nathaniel wrote: "the them was force and hope. That the hunger games is just a blood bath and pain for the tributes just for entertainment until cattiness and peta tried to make sure they would not even get one vict..."
The author really emphasizes these points


message 5: by Caiden (new)

Caiden Michael | 4 comments The hunger games was used for the entertainment for the people of the district and made for death for the tributes playing in the games.
Katniss and peta were the only ones left standing and the only way ti win was to kill one or the other. But they came to a truce to eat a poisonous fruit to kill them both.


message 6: by Wyatt (new)

Wyatt Willey | 8 comments I believe the message the author was trying to get across was to keep calm and have hope. Throughout reading this story you saw the struggles both Katniss and Peeta went though, from starving at home to facing life or death in the arena, these two characters never truly had very much of anything, except hope. "It's not about the sponsors. And it's not about what will happen back home. And it's not just that I don't want to be alone. It's him. I do not want to lose the boy with the bread," (Collins 297). This quote shows how Katniss has grown to not only care for Peeta, but to hope for him. Hope is the strongest asset in survival. Hope is the thing I think everybody still has a use for.


message 7: by Nathaniel (new)

Nathaniel | 8 comments Arwind wrote: "I think that the author tried to emphasize the importance of family and friendship. The author is trying to say that that family and friendship are some very important things in life. The author em..."


message 8: by Rayce (new)

Rayce Remington | 8 comments I thought the author was trying to force selflessness. I thought this because how Katniss went and got the medicine for Peeta. I think the auithor is trying to get that if you help others good things come in return. The author did this by having Katniss and Peeta win and that wouldn't have happened if Katniss. didn't get the medicine for Peeta. Katniss and Peeta were both very grateful.


message 9: by Rayce (new)

Rayce Remington | 8 comments Wyatt wrote: "I believe the message the author was trying to get across was to keep calm and have hope. Throughout reading this story you saw the struggles both Katniss and Peeta went though, from starving at ho..."
I believe the author was trying to get across selflessness. I see why you think hope though. You made good point with your example how they went from poor to the arena.


message 10: by Wyatt (new)

Wyatt Willey | 8 comments Rayce wrote: "I thought the author was trying to force selflessness. I thought this because how Katniss went and got the medicine for Peeta. I think the author is trying to get that if you help others good thin..."

I agree with you as well Rayce. I think the author was trying to get off both hope and selflessness. I feel she did this when Katniss wouldn't kill Peeta in the end.


message 11: by Jamison (new)

Jamison Wensel | 8 comments The theme that I believe the author was trying to get across was that you should show emotion because it's okay to be emotional. Especially after everything Katniss has been through.


message 12: by Ashfaaq (last edited Feb 16, 2017 10:07AM) (new)

Ashfaaq Asic | 8 comments Nathaniel wrote: "the them was force and hope. That the hunger games is just a blood bath and pain for the tributes just for entertainment until cattiness and peta tried to make sure they would not even get one vict..."

I disagree with the part where you said theme was hope, one thing I learned throughout the story, time and time again, was that the Capitol never allows any form of hope for the districts. For instance, they proposed a new rule in the games saying that if two tributes from the same district remain, they can both become victors. In the end, the capitol takes back their rule because they are showing that they are superior and the districts are at their mercy. Even at the end of the book, Katniss isn't really satisfied that she and Peeta both won the games, the book ends with her fretting about how the capitol could be a threat to their district and their families because they humiliated them. This is why the book doesn't really demonstrate hope.


message 13: by Dane (last edited Mar 20, 2017 10:15AM) (new)

Dane Schneyer | 7 comments I thought it was weird the dogs looked like the dead tributes. also the end was weird with the berries. love it still. the capitol lied katniss will have to fight again. she also will have to face the thought of killing other people.and will the districts ever be free.


message 14: by Ashfaaq (new)

Ashfaaq Asic | 8 comments The theme the author was emphasizing is the helplessness of the people of the districts and their fury at the Capitol because throughout the whole book, the districts are always at the mercy of the Capitol. The districts don't have a full independence and the Capitol leaves some of them starving. They display this factor through the Hunger Games. The Capitol neglects the care of the districts often and they live a luxurious life while they watch 24 kids from the districts murder each other, annually. This is why Katniss and Peeta wanted to rebel against the Capitol by killing themselves so there is no victor, and the Capitol won't be satisfied. Although Katniss and Peeta both won the Hunger Games, they are still concerned about what the Capitol could do to them since they have humiliated the Gamemakers. This is how the author represents the theme of rebellion and helplessness throughout the story.


message 15: by Carter (new)

Carter | 7 comments I think that the author tried to show how important it is to be with family. The author is trying to say that that family and friendship are some very important things in life. The author emphasized it by having Katniss volunteer for Prim and that shows the love for her sister because she vollentered for the hunger games insteed of he rsister. She emphasizes friendship when she decides to die with Peeta at the end of the Games i would also recamend this book to all the people that love the movie


message 16: by Luke (new)

Luke | 8 comments I think the message the author is trying to get to reader is that friendship and family are not always going to be there that long and you should treat them good while they last. It also shows that by when katniss always is trying to make sure her family will have the best of things because she volunteers for prim and always wants people to win that can help the districts. also she helps her friend peeta by reviving him and bringing him back to life. i think this is how th author trys to present the theme.


message 17: by Luke (new)

Luke | 8 comments Wyatt wrote: "I believe the message the author was trying to get across was to keep calm and have hope. Throughout reading this story you saw the struggles both Katniss and Peeta went though, from starving at ho..."

I agree when you said it was trying to give off hope i really like your response.


message 18: by Ethan (new)

Ethan | 7 comments I think that the author wanted to show how important it is to be with family and friends. The author is trying to say that that family and friendship are some very important things in life. The author emphasized it by having Katniss volunteer for Prim and that shows the love for her sister because she volunteered for the hunger games instead of her sister. She emphasizes friendship when she decides to die with Peeta at the end of the Games I would also recommend this book to all the people that like science fiction books with a lot of action.


message 19: by Blake (new)

Blake | 8 comments I think the theme was family and friends because Katniss was always wondering about Gale and Prim and her mother. Katniss also wondered if the baker helped Prim with food and wondered if her mother would be there for Prim while she was gone. The author showed this by showing Katniss cared and wondered about Gale and Prim all the time.


message 20: by Blake (new)

Blake | 8 comments Arwind wrote: "I think that the author tried to emphasize the importance of family and friendship. The author is trying to say that that family and friendship are some very important things in life. The author em..."
I agree because she always cared and wondered about everybody back home.


message 21: by Luke (new)

Luke | 6 comments I think the author tried to emphasize family and friends. Hold on to your friends and never forget them. Katniss never forgot her family at home nor Rue and Thresh who helped her in the arena


message 22: by Luke (new)

Luke | 6 comments Nathaniel wrote: "the them was force and hope. That the hunger games is just a blood bath and pain for the tributes just for entertainment until cattiness and peta tried to make sure they would not even get one vict..."

i agree and like with what you said


message 23: by Evan (new)

Evan | 8 comments I think that the author tried to show how important it is to be with family and friends. The author is trying to say that that family and friendship are really important things that everybody should have in life. The author emphasized it by having Katniss volunteer for Prim. This shows how kind Katniss is and how much love she has for her sister. She emphasizes friendship when she decides to die with Peeta at the end of the Games. This shows true friendship because she could easily kill Peeta and win the games but instead she decides to die together which shows true friendship.


message 24: by Evan (new)

Evan | 8 comments Arwind wrote: "I think that the author tried to emphasize the importance of family and friendship. The author is trying to say that that family and friendship are some very important things in life. The author emphasized it by having Katniss volunteer for Prim and that shows the love for her sister. She emphasizes friendship when she decides to die with Peeta at the end of the Games"

I agree with this because I also believe that the author was trying to demonstrate that family and friends are important. I believe that Katniss volunteering for Prim shows how important family and friendship is as well. I agree with you that Peeta and Katniss dying together shows true friendship.


message 25: by Conrad (new)

Conrad Vertz | 4 comments It was suspenseful, the theme the author created was how your family and friends are important, but also the author created was force, that is what I think the author tried to show


message 26: by Ben (new)

Ben | 7 comments I think the authors message was to never give up and to stay close to people you love. Katniss didn't give up the whole games and never had before. She also shows the importance of family when volunteering for Prim.


message 27: by Ethan (new)

Ethan Beaumier | 6 comments Bekeiser wrote: "I think the authors message was to never give up and to stay close to people you love. Katniss didn't give up the whole games and never had before. She also shows the importance of family when volu..."
I agree what Ben said about never giving up.


message 28: by Ethan (new)

Ethan Beaumier | 6 comments The theme was that you should never give up on who you love.


message 29: by Dane (last edited Mar 20, 2017 10:18AM) (new)

Dane Schneyer | 7 comments Conrad wrote: "It was suspenseful, the theme the author created was how your family and friends are important, but also the author created was force, that is what I think the author tried to show"

yes it vary suspenseful. it kept you on your toes.even at the end of the book. so I agree with you.


message 30: by Ben (new)

Ben | 7 comments Ethan wrote: "The theme was that you should never give up on who you love."

I agree what Ethan said about never giving up. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)


message 31: by Greg (new)

Greg | 8 comments The theme that Collins emphasized throughout the novel was dictatorship and how the living conditions are under a government like this. I believe she was trying to say that there are always some people that take the fall for the selfishness of a dictator and the people close to him. She showed this when Katninss's experiences in the districts is compared to the life of a person in the capitol. "What must it be like, I wonder, to live in a world where food appears at the press of a button? How would I spend the hours I now commit to combing the woods for sustenance if it were so easy to come by? What do they do all day, these people of the capitol, besides decorating their bodies and waiting for a new shipment of tributes to roll and die for their entertainment?" I think Collins is hinting at a life if our government were to die and some new power that has lots of money were to take over. The person would not care about anybody but him/her and their family


message 32: by Greg (new)

Greg | 8 comments Blake wrote: "I think the theme was family and friends because Katniss was always wondering about Gale and Prim and her mother. Katniss also wondered if the baker helped Prim with food and wondered if her mother..."

I think you are right about family and friends. Katniss's whole goal in going to the hunger games for her sister was to protect her sister and try to win the games to keep their family together


message 33: by Arwind (new)

Arwind Sivakumar | 9 comments Rayce wrote: "I thought the author was trying to force selflessness. I thought this because how Katniss went and got the medicine for Peeta. I think the auithor is trying to get that if you help others good thin..."

That is true because Katniss could have died but she didn't even think twice about it this really shows her selflesness and love for Peeta


message 34: by Suchir (new)

Suchir | 8 comments Some of the themes I felt in this book is dont just do something to only benefit you do it to help others as well. I also felt hopeful was a nice theme they expressed too because if Katniss had not have found Peeta then he probably would have died. Also in the cave if they never got that food from the sponsors then they would have died, or if Katniss never went for the medicine. Then the last time was when Katniss proposed the idea for her and Peeta to eat the berries that can kill you if they didnt end The Hunger Games.


message 35: by Grant (new)

Grant | 4 comments Wyatt wrote: "I believe the message the author was trying to get across was to keep calm and have hope. Throughout reading this story you saw the struggles both Katniss and Peeta went though, from starving at ho..."

i agree with what your saying great response


message 36: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Hobbs | 8 comments I believe the author tried to emphasize the fact that you have to have hope. Katniss would've died as soon as the games started if she didn't have hope. She also wouldn't be sponsored by anyone if she didn't have hope. She also would've committed suicide if she didn't have hope (and if the games didn't end). Those examples prove the fact that the author tried to emphasize hope in the story.


message 37: by Anthony (last edited Mar 20, 2017 10:23AM) (new)

Anthony Hobbs | 8 comments Evan wrote: "I think that the author tried to show how important it is to be with family and friends. The author is trying to say that that family and friendship are really important things that everybody shoul..."

I agree. Family and friendship are both really important things everyone should have. One example of this is when Katniss volunteered for Prim.


message 38: by Suchir (new)

Suchir | 8 comments Wyatt wrote: "I believe the message the author was trying to get across was to keep calm and have hope. Throughout reading this story you saw the struggles both Katniss and Peeta went though, from starving at ho..."

I felt the same way wyatt. I felt that was the main point of this story. Nice job with the posts


message 39: by Marie (new)

Marie | 7 comments I think the message the author trying to show was just go with the flow and never give up. Katniss and Peeta never gave up on saving each other and Peeta never gave up his love for Katniss. When they were in the cave, Peeta was really sick, and Katniss went to get the medicine for Peeta. I love how Peeta were allies with others to keep Katniss alive. When you are in arena, there's no going back but fight for your life.


back to top