The Hunger Games 2017 discussion

Chapter 14-20

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

What moods has the book created for you so far? Why did you feel that way? Was the author trying to create this mood for you? If so, then how did he/she do it? If not, what made you feel this way?

message 2: by Nathaniel (last edited Feb 06, 2017 01:16PM) (new)

Nathaniel | 8 comments yes if felt suspenseful like any thing could happen or change because they were just in one place like they were sitting ducks. And her partner/lover could bled to death and might give away there location. And there in a cave with little food and water or any thing to help peta's leg get better so hes not an easy kill for anyone.

message 3: by Caiden (new)

Caiden Michael | 4 comments Very suspenseful because peta could not help katniss but katniss could help peta so katniss was pretty much left on her own until peta's leg got better and the wound on peta's leg could get badly infected and kill peta giving them one less person in their district. With no treatment to help peta this could end up badly for the both of them.

message 4: by Chris (last edited Feb 13, 2017 07:51AM) (new)

Chris Washington | 8 comments the moods the book created for me is that katniss has a good hear for ever one and that she is nice to people,but the book its self makes me fell scary that the people just sit there a let people die like that.

message 5: by Chris (new)

Chris Washington | 8 comments Caiden wrote: "Very suspenseful because peta could not help katniss but katniss could help peta so katniss was pretty much left on her own until peta's leg got better and the wound on peta's leg could get badly i..."

i think that is true

message 6: by Nathaniel (new)

Nathaniel | 8 comments Chris wrote: "the moods the book created for me is that katniss has a good hear for ever one and that she is nice to people,but the book its self makes me fell scary that the people just sit there a let people d..."

message 7: by Rayce (new)

Rayce Remington | 8 comments The mood so far has been suspenseful because it seems after every chapter I have to keep reading. An example is when the chapter left off at "Her little hand slides into the open and points to something above my head"(Collins 184). Lately thought thing have been moving slower because of Peeta's condition. Him and Katniss have just been sitting in their little cave for a while. They have been relying on donations from sponsors for their food source because it has been raining so hard.

message 8: by Rayce (new)

Rayce Remington | 8 comments Nathaniel wrote: "yes if felt suspenseful like any thing could happen or change because they were just in one place like they were sitting ducks. And her partner/lover could bled to death and might give away there l..."

I agree. Not only though did I think they were waiting for attack but but if it weren't for the sponsors they could have starved to death. They need to get moving if they want a chance to win.

message 9: by Arwind (new)

Arwind Sivakumar | 9 comments The mood that the book has created is suspenseful because of how the careers had her trapped. I think that the author was trying to create this mood because there are many things leading up to this. One of them is how she always sleeps in the trees and that kind of makes you think that she will get in trouble for it. It is also very suspenseful when Rue shows up because you don't know what Katniss will do to Rue. The austhor creates this mood because she made Katniss feel really bad that Rue was in the Hunger Games. So it makes you wonder if they will become allies.

message 10: by Arwind (new)

Arwind Sivakumar | 9 comments Rayce wrote: "The mood so far has been suspenseful because it seems after every chapter I have to keep reading. An example is when the chapter left off at "Her little hand slides into the open and points to some..."
This part is crazy suspenseful because we don't know what Katniss is going to do with the Tracker Jacker nest. It is also very gory when the nest drops on the careers and the 2 people get stung really bad

message 11: by Wyatt (last edited Feb 13, 2017 11:59AM) (new)

Wyatt Willey | 8 comments The book has made me feel angry recently. Reading about Rue's awful death made me feel terrible. I think the author wanted the reader(s) to feel this way. Why else put in a death of a crucial character? Normally in the Hunger Games, you wouldn't get upset about someone dying, but Rue is different. "Rue has rolled to her side, her body curved in and around the spear," (Collins 233) shows how Rue died in such an awful way, and having Katniss sing to her as she dies just makes you angry. This was definitely the worst chapter so far.

message 12: by Greg (new)

Greg | 8 comments The mood that this story conveys in me is that the story is depressing and unfair because the 12 year old girl from district 11 has to die at the expense of the people in the capitols entertainment . "Rue has rolled to her side, her body curved in and around the spear... One look at the wound and I know it's far from beyond my capacity to heal. Beyond anyone's probably... there's no point in comforting words, telling her she'll be all right. She's no fool (Collins 233)." As Katniss decorated Rue's body in flowers and sang to her I couldn't stop thinking about how the parents of the kids in the Hunger Games felt as they saw how their children died in the arena and there was nothing they could do to save them.

message 13: by Suchir (new)

Suchir | 8 comments The mood that this story has on me is a sad and hopeful one because of Rue's death but because Katniss found Peeta I feel hopeful. The author created a very different mood. I felt the author wanted Peeta and Katniss to help each other instead of Peeta being alone and Katniss being with Rue. I felt this was a very crucial part of the story otherwise Peeta would have died. Well now that Katniss is helping Peeta I feel that they are going to go very far in The Hunger Games.

message 14: by Luke (new)

Luke | 8 comments The mood has made me feel sad because rue died and a lot of other kids that dont need to die. I think the author is trying to create this mood because rue got killed.

message 15: by Luke (new)

Luke | 8 comments Suchir wrote: "The mood that this story has on me is a sad and hopeful one because of Rue's death but because Katniss found Peeta I feel hopeful. The author created a very different mood. I felt the author wanted..."

I like how you said it makes you feel hopeful I really agree with what you said. nice post and keep it up

message 16: by Ethan (new)

Ethan | 7 comments The mood makes me feel sad because a lot of innocent people are getting killed. I feel the author is trying to create this mood because of rues death.

message 17: by Blake (new)

Blake | 8 comments It was suspenseful. I felt it was suspenseful when Katniss got stung by the tracker jackets I didn't know if she would make it or not. Yes because she had the other people who got stung die.

message 18: by Ethan (new)

Ethan | 7 comments Suchir wrote: "The mood that this story has on me is a sad and hopeful one because of Rue's death but because Katniss found Peeta I feel hopeful. The author created a very different mood. I felt the author wanted..."

I agree that the mood is sad and I agree that you said it is hopeful. Great post and keep up the good work suchir

message 19: by Blake (new)

Blake | 8 comments Arwind wrote: "The mood that the book has created is suspenseful because of how the careers had her trapped. I think that the author was trying to create this mood because there are many things leading up to this..."

I agree with that because it is very suspenseful when she gets trapped and stung and everything else that happens.

message 20: by Carter (new)

Carter | 7 comments The mood that this story has on me is hopeful one because but because Katniss found Peeta I feel hopeful. The author created a very different mood. i feel that the author wanted peeta to be wiht katniss instedd of rul. I felt this was a very intresting part of the story otherwise Peeta would have passed away and katniss would have lost him. Well now that Katniss is helping Peeta I feel that they are going to go very far in The Hunger Games and be successful with they are doing and they might win but i dont know hats going to happen when there is only one winner and they are both alive

message 21: by Luke (new)

Luke | 6 comments The author has created a excited and slightly sad mood. They are going into the arena and that's sad cause most are going to die. Excited because it's an exciting event that happens every year.

message 22: by Evan (new)

Evan | 8 comments The book has created a suspenseful mood. I feel it is suspenseful because the number of people left in the games are decreasing and Katniss has taken some big risks. The author contibuted to the mood by having Rue die. The author also creates suspense because the gamemakers have now made a new rule that two people from the same district can team up and both win. Katniss finds Peeta with a bad stab wound and they are now to fight as a team and try to win the games together!

message 23: by Dane (last edited Mar 20, 2017 10:22AM) (new)

Dane Schneyer | 7 comments nooooo not Rue made me sad and wanted to read more and peeta and katniss have to work together. vary suspenseful and wanted you to read on. wonder what will happen to foxface.

message 24: by Ben (new)

Ben | 7 comments I mostly have felt suspense. Even though I know that Katniss wins I Can't help feeling that something bad is going to happen. When the games start I felt the most suspense as well as when she encounters the careers.

message 25: by Ashfaaq (new)

Ashfaaq Asic | 8 comments Without a doubt, the mood the author created for me was suspense. I felt this way because the story revolves around who wins the hunger games, the protagonist goes through many difficulties and she has many reasons as to why she has to win, one of them being so that she can go back home to her sister. The author has created emotional value between you and Katniss so that whenever Katniss is in peril or a life-endangering situation, the mood becomes suspenseful. The author likely intended the book to be suspenseful because the story revolves around physical danger and death. The author created suspense by making the plot revolve around dying and she also made it so that you care and value the life of Katniss because of all her sorrows, this is how Suzanne Collins created suspense.

message 26: by Ethan (new)

Ethan Beaumier | 6 comments The book created a lot of moods because when Katniss took over for Prim cause she got chosen to go. That made me sad because Prim started crying.

message 27: by Ashfaaq (new)

Ashfaaq Asic | 8 comments Suchir wrote: "The mood that this story has on me is a sad and hopeful one because of Rue's death but because Katniss found Peeta I feel hopeful. The author created a very different mood. I felt the author wanted..."

I can agree with that, I especially liked how you said the author wanted to create a very different mood because unlike many other books. I also agree with your idea on how Peeta and Katniss teaming up was crucial since otherwise some readers might not have been satisfied.

message 28: by Wyatt (new)

Wyatt Willey | 8 comments Ashfaaq wrote: "Without a doubt, the mood the author created for me was suspense. I felt this way because the story revolves around who wins the hunger games, the protagonist goes through many difficulties and she..."

The author created a very suspenseful mood. I was on my toes when Rue did not respond to Katniss's bird calls. It reminds me of when you wake on a Saturday morning, and you call out to your parents, and you get no response.

message 29: by Carter (new)

Carter | 7 comments Ethan wrote: "The mood makes me feel sad because a lot of innocent people are getting killed. I feel the author is trying to create this mood because of rues death."

I agree seeing that it truly hurts me and some people have to go though this in real life

message 30: by Evan (new)

Evan | 8 comments Ethan wrote: "The mood makes me feel sad because a lot of innocent people are getting killed. I feel the author is trying to create this mood because of rues death."

I agree with what Ethan wrote because I also agree that the innocent people dying creates a sad mood. I also believe that the author tried to create this mood because of rues death.

message 31: by Jamison (new)

Jamison Wensel | 8 comments The mood is suspenseful because you never know what will happen next.

message 32: by Ben (new)

Ben | 7 comments Jamison wrote: "The mood is suspenseful because you never know what will happen next."

I agree because the never ending feeling of suspense is part of wanting to read more.

message 33: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Hobbs | 8 comments The mood the book created was suspenseful because you don't know what's going to happen next. I believe the author was trying to create the mood. Will the gamemakers create another catastrophy? Will Peeta survive? There are numerous questions that can't really be solved unless you read ahead.

message 34: by Anthony (last edited Mar 20, 2017 10:16AM) (new)

Anthony Hobbs | 8 comments Jamison wrote: "The mood is suspenseful because you never know what will happen next."

Agreed. You will never know if someone will die or not unless you read ahead. Which is one of the things I like about this story.

message 35: by Grant (new)

Grant | 4 comments The mood so far has been suspenseful because you don't know whats going to happen next, it makes you wanna keep reading very intense to because of everyone dying you don't know if or who will die next

message 36: by Conrad (new)

Conrad Vertz | 4 comments The mood is suspenseful because it is very good in the fact that you do not know what will happen next make your adrenaline rush

message 37: by Marie (new)

Marie | 7 comments I felt mostly suspense because after Rue died she was all by herself and knowing that Peeta is hurt badly. I think the author is trying to make us feel this way because why else would you tell so much details on Rue's death. "I can't stop looking at Rue, smaller than ever, a baby animal curled up in a nest of netting" (Collins 236). I was so glad when Katniss found where Peeta is.

message 38: by Marie (new)

Marie | 7 comments Etbeaumier wrote: "The book created a lot of moods because when Katniss took over for Prim cause she got chosen to go. That made me sad because Prim started crying."

It made me sad when Prim got chosen too.

message 39: by Greg (new)

Greg | 8 comments Arwind wrote: "The mood that the book has created is suspenseful because of how the careers had her trapped. I think that the author was trying to create this mood because there are many things leading up to this..."
I feel the same way. The careers being so close to spotting her was very suspenseful and I always thought hiding in the trees is a bad idea because there is nowhere to go if you get caught but if she had the bow and arrows this would be a prime position

message 40: by Suchir (new)

Suchir | 8 comments Rayce wrote: "The mood so far has been suspenseful because it seems after every chapter I have to keep reading. An example is when the chapter left off at "Her little hand slides into the open and points to some..."

I agree with you Rayce because I felt that this mood was suspenseful as well. I also felt this was a scary part too because you dont know if they will die because of starvation. Nice job Rayce keep up the good work.