The Hunger Games 2017 discussion

Chapter 7-13

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Do the characters seem real and believable? Can you relate to their predicaments? To what extent do they remind you of yourself or someone you know?

message 2: by Nathaniel (last edited Feb 06, 2017 01:14PM) (new)

Nathaniel | 8 comments yes because I can relate to Cattiness because she dose not know if she can trust her partner with her life without him betraying her so she feels like she is going to be on her own. She has a drunken trainer/sponsor who gives advise which to her dose not seem helpful at first but pays off at the end of it all.

message 3: by Luke (new)

Luke | 8 comments I think the characters seem real and believable because they act like normal people and have feelings and they don't have any powers or anything. I can relate to there predicaments because when I ever I do something that seems impossible always just think it will never happen like the hunger games I think gale reminds me of myself because i love hunting and being out in the woods.

message 4: by Luke (new)

Luke | 8 comments Nathaniel wrote: "yes because I can relate to Cattiness because she dose not know if she can trust her partner with her life without him betraying her so she feels like she is going to be on her own. She has a drunk..."

I didn't think about it that way I really like your prospective

message 5: by Chris (new)

Chris Washington | 8 comments i think the characters are real and believable because the act just like us when we are mad,sad,happy.and yes i can relate to some of them because i dont like to give up on something i like to do

message 6: by Chris (new)

Chris Washington | 8 comments Luke wrote: "I think the characters seem real and believable because they act like normal people and have feelings and they don't have any powers or anything. I can relate to there predicaments because when I e..."

yes what you are saying is true about them and that gale likes to hunt

message 7: by Suchir (new)

Suchir | 8 comments I feel the characters seem real and believable because they are like real people. They don't have super natural powers or anything more than except tech. I can only relate to them because they never give up. Even when Katniss was burned she never gave up. I like that it relates to me very much. I also feel that Gale is very fond of Katniss but she isn't so much of him. I feel this book is really related to me.

message 8: by Ethan (new)

Ethan | 7 comments Yes because you can easily relate to the characters because they have feelings. They don't have any supernatural powers and I can relate to both of them because I have lost family members and I like to hunt.

message 9: by Blake (last edited Feb 10, 2017 06:33AM) (new)

Blake | 8 comments Yes the characters do seem realistic and believable. Because Gale and Katniss like each other. They also do everything together like best friends would do. Yes I can relate to how Katniss handled the situation when Peeta embarrassed her during his interview because I usually don't want to be seen by anyone when someone embarrasses me. Katniss reminds myself of me because she doesn't like to be embarrassed. Gale also reminds me of myself because he is such a hard worker like me.

message 10: by Reece (new)

Reece Seery | 3 comments I feel like the characters are real and believable because they do stuff that we do in real life. I can see the characters feel bad when the other ones get chosen because they have to go fight to the death. I can relate myself to peeta. Peeta is like me because he is hardworking and never gives up. I can also relate to Gale because he likes hunting.

message 11: by Blake (new)

Blake | 8 comments Reece wrote: "I feel like the characters are real and believable because they do stuff that we do in real life. I can see the characters feel bad when the other ones get chosen because they have to go fight to t..."
I agree with that because they do stuff similar to us but sometimes more futuristic. So I agree with your statement.

message 12: by Jamison (new)

Jamison Wensel | 8 comments Blake wrote: "Reece wrote: "I feel like the characters are real and believable because they do stuff that we do in real life. I can see the characters feel bad when the other ones get chosen because they have to..." FINISH UR GOSH DARN SENTENCE! I NEED AWNSERS

message 13: by Carter (new)

Carter | 7 comments I feel the characters seem real because they are like real people. I can only relate to them because they never give up. But I can not relate to the characters predicaments. they remind my of my friend because i believe he would be good in the hunger games

message 14: by Luke (new)

Luke | 6 comments Most do seem real and believable except for the capitol citizens. They wear weird clothes, have strange make up, and enjoy watching kids kill each other. I can't relate to most people because i'm not rich and I don't go into an arena to kill people.

message 15: by Carter (new)

Carter | 7 comments Luke wrote: "I think the characters seem real and believable because they act like normal people and have feelings and they don't have any powers or anything. I can relate to there predicaments because when I e..."

I agree with you because I know the love you have for hunting and i do think you are like gale from the hunger games

message 16: by Luke (new)

Luke | 6 comments Nathaniel wrote: "yes because I can relate to Cattiness because she dose not know if she can trust her partner with her life without him betraying her so she feels like she is going to be on her own. She has a drunk..." i like what you said about the drunk mentor because he really did not seem helpful at first but in the training he came through.

message 17: by Evan (new)

Evan | 8 comments I think the characters seem real and believable because they act like normal people and they don't have any superpowers or special abilities. I can relate to there predicaments because when I ever I do something that seems impossible or can't be done always I think it will never happen like Katniss thinking she will never win the Hunger Games. I can relate to Gale and Katniss because I like hunting and being outdoors.

message 18: by Evan (new)

Evan | 8 comments Luke wrote: "I think the characters seem real and believable because they act like normal people and have feelings and they don't have any powers or anything. I can relate to there predicaments because when I ever I do something that seems impossible always just think it will never happen like the hunger games I think gale reminds me of myself because i love hunting and being out in the woods."

I agree with you that the characters are real and believable because I also believe that the characters act normal and don't have any superpowers. I like how you said Gale reminds you of yourself because she hunts and likes to be in the woods because I like hunting and being outdoors also.

message 19: by Ethan (new)

Ethan | 7 comments Luke wrote: "I think the characters seem real and believable because they act like normal people and have feelings and they don't have any powers or anything. I can relate to there predicaments because when I e..."

I agree that the characters seem believable because these abct normal and that they don't have superpowers. I also agree that your like gale and like to hunt and be outside.

message 20: by Rayce (new)

Rayce Remington | 8 comments I think the characters are very realistic because they have many common interest with me and many other people I know. I think they most relate to people who love outdoors stuff such as camping, hunting and fishing because many people from the hunger games like that stuff and are good at. I can relate to Katnisse's problem with going into the Hunger Games because one when I got in trouble I was nervous going into the office like she is nervous about the Hunger Games. I can relate myself to Gale because I like being outside. I also relate to him because I like fishing.

message 21: by Rayce (new)

Rayce Remington | 8 comments Evan wrote: "I think the characters seem real and believable because they act like normal people and they don't have any superpowers or special abilities. I can relate to there predicaments because when I ever ..."
I agree that the Characters seem realistic because they are like many people today. I agree with what you said about how you relate to Katniss on doing the impossible and I think many others could too. I also like being outdoors and fishing.

message 22: by Ben (new)

Ben | 7 comments Yes most of the characters are believable. They people of the districts are more relate able than people from the capitol all of them seemed exaggerated and too happy about whats going on. I cant personally relate to any of the main characters but I'm sure other people could.

message 23: by Dane (last edited Feb 10, 2017 10:17AM) (new)

Dane Schneyer | 7 comments Luke wrote:Most do seem real and believable except for the capitol citizens. They wear weird clothes, have strange make up, and enjoy watching kids kill each other. I can't relate to most people because i'm not rich and I don't go into an arena to kill people. same,and its funny how you put, strange make up, and enjoy watching kids kill each other. cant relate to this.

message 24: by Greg (new)

Greg | 8 comments I feel the characters are real and believable because Collins tells Katniss's feelings and thought process like a normal human being would think and act about certain topics at certain times. "Despite my anger, hatred, and suspicions, a small voice in the back of my head whispers an answer. Maybe he's sending a message, it says. A message. Saying what? Then I know. There's only one good reason Haymitch could be withholding water from me. Because I've almost found it (Collins 169)." I can relate to her thought process because I sometimes have those "duh" or "ah ha" moments. She reminds me of myself because she always has a plan for what her next move.

message 25: by Arwind (new)

Arwind Sivakumar | 9 comments I think that all the characters can be real. There are some people who are willing to give their life for someone they love. There are also some people who use drugs after a traumatic event like the Hunger Games or for example war. I don't think that I could relate to Katniss because I've never had a loved one in danger and I don't think that I can really understand what she feels.

message 26: by Arwind (new)

Arwind Sivakumar | 9 comments Chris wrote: "i think the characters are real and believable because the act just like us when we are mad,sad,happy.and yes i can relate to some of them because i dont like to give up on something i like to do"
I mostly agree, but not many people act like the capitol citizens. I'm sure that most people would not enjoy watching kids kill each other. I know I wouldn't because that sort of thinking is just inhumane.

message 27: by Wyatt (new)

Wyatt Willey | 8 comments I believe the characters in the story, The Hunger Games, are very real and believable. Sometimes listening to Katniss's thoughts remind me of my very self. She reminds of myself by at least attempting to see something good in each situation. "The words are sinking in. My anger fading. I'm torn now between thinking I've been used and thinking I've been given an edge," (Collins 136) shows how she thinks to herself and feels emotions like any. Looking at this story much closer, I see how the author made good attempts to make these characters very relatable, whilst also being very different.

message 28: by Ashfaaq (new)

Ashfaaq Asic | 8 comments I believe the characters seem real and believable because the author does an exemplary job making the characters relatable. This is embodied in the protagonist, Katniss Everdeen, who goes through hardship and believable struggles. She shows true emotion and stays true to her purpose. For instance Katniss often narrates about how she is concerned of what others think of her, which is one way that Katniss seems similar to us. Another way this is portrayed is by her narrating her adoration of her sister, her sister is what dictates all of the effort she is putting in for The Hunger Games, this is realistic because we as humans in the present, would also attempt dangerous feats for a loved one so that they are content. This is why the story seems real and believable.

message 29: by Ashfaaq (new)

Ashfaaq Asic | 8 comments Wyatt wrote: "I believe the characters in the story, The Hunger Games, are very real and believable. Sometimes listening to Katniss's thoughts remind me of my very self. She reminds of myself by at least attempt..."

I agree with your statement because of the point you made revolving around how her emotions are similar to ours.

message 30: by Kane.Deutmeyer (new)

Kane.Deutmeyer | 2 comments Erin wrote: "Do the characters seem real and believable? Can you relate to their predicaments? To what extent do they remind you of yourself or someone you know?"
The characters do seem very believable and real. i can not relate to their predicaments of being thrown into a game show that kills of 23 people. Katniss reminds me of my uncle he is a great hunter and also prefers a bow and arrow for hunting.

message 31: by Greg (new)

Greg | 8 comments Ashfaaq wrote: "I believe the characters seem real and believable because the author does an exemplary job making the characters relatable. This is embodied in the protagonist, Katniss Everdeen, who goes through h..."
I believe you make a great point. The whole reason Katniss stands her ground and keeps on fighting is because she fears that her sister would have to grow up too soon like she had to after her father died. I also like you use of the words exemplary and embodied.

message 32: by Jamison (new)

Jamison Wensel | 8 comments Minecraft Hunger Games is better and easier ;-;

message 33: by Ethan (new)

Ethan Beaumier | 6 comments Jamison wrote: "Minecraft Hunger Games is better and easier ;-;" Just to let you know Jamison that's not the topic of the book.

message 34: by Ethan (new)

Ethan Beaumier | 6 comments I think the characters are real and believable because sometime I can relate in some situations in the book and the author makes them seem real.

message 35: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Hobbs | 8 comments The characters seem real and believable to me, but I can't really relate to them at all. Because I probably won't get thrown in an arena filled with 20-30 people, killing everyone else just so my district can get food or something like that. Everyone in every district watches the games in real-time and find enjoyment in it (like modern-day football). My father also didn't get blown up by a landmine. I also don't live in North Korea.

message 36: by Anthony (last edited Mar 20, 2017 10:13AM) (new)

Anthony Hobbs | 8 comments Jamison wrote: "Minecraft Hunger Games is better and easier ;-;"

How can a video game be easier than a book? Is it just because you just do things with your keyboard and mouse instead of reading 374 pages? That doesn't make much sense to me since it also takes a long time to get good at it.

message 37: by Marie (new)

Marie | 7 comments The characters seem to be believable and real because they are trying to fight for their lives. They do everything we do like, get embarrassed, scared, and they have feelings for others. I can relate to their predicaments because I know its hard to leave someone you love. Katniss reminds me of my friend's mom because shes trying to fight for her lives.

message 38: by Marie (new)

Marie | 7 comments Jamison wrote: "Minecraft Hunger Games is better and easier ;-;"

I believe that Minecraft Hunger Games is easier too.

message 39: by Suchir (new)

Suchir | 8 comments Ashfaaq wrote: "I believe the characters seem real and believable because the author does an exemplary job making the characters relatable. This is embodied in the protagonist, Katniss Everdeen, who goes through h..."

I agree with you Ashfaaq because I felt that Katniss isnt doing this just for her survival. It looks more like Katniss is only doing it for her family, Peeta, and Gale. I feel that you described Katniss very good.

message 40: by Wyatt (new)

Wyatt Willey | 8 comments Ashfaaq wrote: "I believe the characters seem real and believable because the author does an exemplary job making the characters relatable. This is embodied in the protagonist, Katniss Everdeen, who goes through h..."

I agree with you wholeheartedly. The author in this story made the characters feel like they could be from our time. This led to me getting a deeper understanding of the Katniss's struggle.

message 41: by Conrad (new)

Conrad Vertz | 4 comments Yes the characters seem real and believable even though it is the future and are in a post apocalyptic world, but the author made it so they feel like they are from current day

message 42: by Jamison (new)

Jamison Wensel | 8 comments Ethan wrote: "Jamison wrote: "Minecraft Hunger Games is better and easier ;-;" Just to let you know Jamison that's not the topic of the book." You lack commas, m8.

message 43: by Caiden (new)

Caiden Michael | 4 comments The characters do seem real and believable be cause they dont have any super powers or immortality. I can relate to katniis when she volunteered to go to the games instead of her sister. They remind me of Reece because he volunteers alot.