The Hunger Games 2017 discussion

Chapter 1-6

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

What is unique about the setting of the book and how does it enhance or take away from the story?

message 2: by Chris (new)

Chris Washington | 8 comments hi

message 3: by Nathaniel (last edited Feb 06, 2017 01:12PM) (new)

Nathaniel | 8 comments that were in the future but in the beginning it seems like were n times were we had no tech. so it looked like it might be a struggle for her to get used to this before the games. And she has to trust her partner who she seems to not like. And figure out how to survive the hunger games with out a partner and trying to win dose not look good and is terrifying.

message 4: by Kane.Deutmeyer (last edited Feb 02, 2017 10:18AM) (new)

Kane.Deutmeyer | 2 comments Something unique about the setting is that it is in the future and post war. in the post war they have recreated America and and there are no states but instead 12 districts also they renamed the country Panem. There were 13 but that district rebelled and for doing so everyone in that district lost there lives. In now Panem District 12 is where Katniss the main character lives. In District 12 there is hunger all around except for wealthy citizens this creates desperate people needing to get out of the district into the woods to hunt which is breaking the law. This enhances the story because it makes people living there strong and willing to do anything for there family meaning that Katniss will be strong going into the hunger games but also others strong as well

message 5: by Rayce (new)

Rayce Remington | 8 comments What is unique about the setting is that it is in the future but seems like it happened 50 years ago. The country is split up into 12 districts. Their used to be 13, but one got destroyed after they repelled against the Capital which is like the government. Katniss Everdeen is the main character and she lives in districts 12. District 12 is known for being one of the least wealthy districts. Her 12 year old sister Prim is selected to be in the Hunger Games which is a reminder what happens if a district rebels such as district 13 did. Katniss volunteers to fight in Prim's place. How the Hunger Games work is two people from each district are selected to fight to the death with each other until their is one person left. Katniss is frightened to go to the Hunger Games but knows it is better then having her 12 year old sister go.

message 6: by Rayce (new)

Rayce Remington | 8 comments Nathaniel wrote: "that were in the future but in the beginning it seems like were n times were we had no tech."
I agree with that statement in the beginning but at the end of chapter five it seemed to be very high tech on the train. Tech depends on how wealthy you are in your district.

message 7: by Ben (new)

Ben | 7 comments The unique thing about the setting of the hunger games is that is both apocalyptic and futuristic. Most of north america has been consumed by the ocean causing the remaining survivors to fight for the remaining resources. Eventually the capitol gains control of the people and is the leader. The capitol creates 13 districts and for years the capitol rules over them all. But the districts don't like the capitol ruling them all and rebel. After the capitol ends the rebellion they destroy district 13 and make the others send 1 boy and 1 girl to the hunger games a arena where the kids fight to the death.

message 8: by Suchir (new)

Suchir | 8 comments Something unique about the setting is that this story takes place in the future and is also apolitical. Their in future North America or Panem. So now North America is divided into the capitol and 12 different districts. The capitol destroyed district 13 because they rebelled. Now to keep any of the other districts from rebelling the capitol forces the districts to send one boy and girl to go to a remote place where they have to kill each other, this is called The Hunger Games.

message 9: by Blake (last edited Feb 06, 2017 06:36AM) (new)

Blake | 8 comments The setting is in the future. It is based off the United States but they have districts. They have 12 districts but they cannot go to the other districts. Then they get chosen to go to this event call The Hunger Games. In which there are other kids from the other 11 districts that they have to kill each other. The setting takes away that it is dangerous and they are poor in district 12 because Katniss has to trade for food. Something that also proves they are poor is that the Train was the nicest thing Katniss has seen and when they eat the most she has ever eaten.

message 10: by Ethan (new)

Ethan | 7 comments The setting is unique because it is in the future and is put into 12 different districts and seems like there was a war before the districts were made in the country of Panem. The capitol selects to tributes from each district because of the rebellion and is now called the hunger games.

message 11: by Luke (new)

Luke | 8 comments the setting of the hunger games is unique because they are in the future and there are twelve districts and the capitol. everyone in the districts is so poor and cant make enough money to survive while on the other hand the capitol is so wealthy and have technology we don't have today. I think this will play a big role in the characters decision in this story and will create many conflicts.

message 12: by Luke (new)

Luke | 8 comments Ethan wrote: "The setting is unique because it is in the future and is put into 12 different districts and seems like there was a war before the districts were made in the country of Panem. The capitol selects t..."
I really like how you said there was a rebellion or a war before, I really agree with that and i think that that really affected the setting by making the people really poor and the capitol rich.

message 13: by Brandon (new)

Brandon | 1 comments the setting is unique because the story takes place in the future and it is also post-apocalyptic. you can tell that it is post-apocalyptical because panem use to be south america. panem is didvided into twelve districts, each dristrict has to send out a boy and a girl, who are called tributes, tributes fight to the death, this is called the hunger games

message 14: by Ethan (new)

Ethan | 7 comments Luke wrote: "the setting of the hunger games is unique because they are in the future and there are twelve districts and the capitol. everyone in the districts is so poor and cant make enough money to survive w..."

I agree with you about the setting being unique and in the future. I like that you said they don't have a lot of money and have a lot of limited stuff. I also think the setting plays a big role in decisions of charters.

message 15: by Caiden (new)

Caiden Michael | 4 comments the setting is unique because it is in the future and there are 12 districts and the capitol. districts are very poor and the capitol is wealthy with advanced technology. This will play a big role in the characters decision.

message 16: by Luke (new)

Luke | 6 comments Ethan wrote: "Luke wrote: "the setting of the hunger games is unique because they are in the future and there are twelve districts and the capitol. everyone in the districts is so poor and cant make enough money..."

the setting is unique because it is in the future and there are 12 districts and a capitol city.I agree with the statement that everyone is poor and the capitol is wealthy and has advancd tech.

message 17: by Chris (new)

Chris Washington | 8 comments the setting is unique because its like an anarchy when the have to fight people from other districts to live .

message 18: by Carter (new)

Carter | 7 comments Something unique about the setting is that this story takes place in the future and is also apolitical. I don't believe it takes away from the story I actually think it adds to the setting and plot. So now North America is divided into the capitol and 12 different districts. There are district that are poor and the capital that rich witch adds to how people think about the district The capitol destroyed district 13 because they rebelled. Now to keep any of the other districts from rebelling the capitol forces the districts to send one boy and girl to go to a remote place where they have to kill each other, this is called The Hunger Games.

message 19: by Chris (new)

Chris Washington | 8 comments the setting is unique because is like a anarchy when the have to people from other districts to live

message 20: by Jamison (new)

Jamison Wensel | 8 comments The setting seemed very dark and dreary ;3;

message 21: by Jamison (new)

Jamison Wensel | 8 comments Chris wrote: "the setting is unique because is like a anarchy when the have to people from other districts to live" *an anarchy

message 22: by Jamison (new)

Jamison Wensel | 8 comments Carter wrote: "Something unique about the setting is that this story takes place in the future and is also apolitical. I don't believe it takes away from the story I actually think it adds to the setting and plot..."
*Something unique about the setting is that this story takes place in the future and is also apolitical. I don't believe it takes away from the story, I actually think it adds to the setting and plot. So now North America is divided into the capitol and 13 different districts. There are districts that are poor and the capital that is rich which adds to how people think about the district. The capitol destroyed district 13 because they rebelled. Now, to keep any of the other districts from rebelling, the capitol forces the districts to send one boy and one girl to go to a remote place where they have to kill each other. This is called The Hunger Games.
Edited by Jamison W. ;33

message 23: by Greg (new)

Greg | 8 comments A unique thing about this story is it shows how the rich and well fed people in the capitol are very oblivious and uncaring to the fact that the people in the districts are dealing with trying to survive by what they can hunt and gather while the people in the capitol live lives of luxury. "What must it be like, I wonder, to live in a world where food appears at the press of a button? How would I spend the hours I now commit to combing the woods for sustenance if if it were so easy to come by? What do they do all day, these people of the capitol..." (Collins 65) Collins seems to be making a point that people who get stuff like food so easily like the people of the capitol, they don't think about how hard it would be to live without those things given to them like the people in the districts who are starving.

message 24: by Dane (last edited Mar 20, 2017 10:25AM) (new)

Dane Schneyer | 7 comments The hunger games is a post apocalyptic setting were katniss volunteered for the hunger games to save her sister she and peeta which is weird because he is a baker. how can coal miners bay bread.good thing I am not living here!cant what for more.

message 25: by Ashfaaq (last edited Feb 06, 2017 08:47PM) (new)

Ashfaaq Asic | 8 comments The uniqueness of the setting is derived from the futuristic aspect of the story. The United States of America is non-existent in the present and is now replaced by a land known as Panem. Panem consists of new laws, different living conditions and 12 districts, rather than 50 states. The districts must sacrifice a pair of adolescents, annually, by the means of The Hunger Games. The Hunger Games were set as a punishment for those who rebelled against the Capitol, the center of power in Panem, in the olden days. In Panem, there are those who live a life of extreme ease and endless luxury at their disposal, this is life for the citizens of the Capitol. For the civilians of the Capitol, life is the embodiment of the futuristic ideals of today, with modern technology and more luxuries. These citizens, enjoy watching children brutally murder one another. However, the same living conditions are not met for those who reside within the districts, as they struggle against starvation, hard labor, and of course, The Hunger Games. I find it unique because even though the story takes place in the far future, where we have further pioneered modern technology and developed more as humans, there is still class separation. One class enjoys luxury while another another undergoes pain. Since it's the future, you would assume that the world has come free of violence, war and conflict, but rather the world is still but a good example of a dystopia. This further displays why the setting is unique due to futuristic aspects.

message 26: by Ashfaaq (new)

Ashfaaq Asic | 8 comments Chris wrote: "the setting is unique because its like an anarchy when the have to fight people from other districts to live ."

Agreeable opinion, you made a good point by relating it to an anarchy.

message 27: by Chris (new)

Chris Washington | 8 comments Jamison wrote: "The setting seemed very dark and dreary ;3;"

it is true that it seems dark a dreary

message 28: by Evan (new)

Evan | 8 comments Something unique about the setting is that it is in the future and post war. After the war they have redisigned America and it became Pane. There are not any states but instead they had 13 districts and a capital. There is now 12 because one of the districts rebelled against the capital and they were all killed. Panem District 12 is where Katniss the main character lives. In District 12 lot's of people are poor and are at risk of starvation except for wealthy citizens. People go into the woods to hunt which is illegal but if they don't take the risk they will die of starvation. I believe this enhances the story because in order to survive in district 12 you have to be hardworking and tough so with Catniss living in district twelve she should go into the hunger games strong and brave.

message 29: by Evan (new)

Evan | 8 comments Caiden wrote: "the setting is unique because it is in the future and there are 12 districts and the capitol. districts are very poor and the capitol is wealthy with advanced technology. This will play a big role in the characters decision."

The setting is unique because it is in the future and there are twelve districts and the capital is a true statment. I also agree with the statment the districts are very poor and the capitol is wealthy with advanced technology. I think it will play a big role in the characters decisions as well.

message 30: by Nathaniel (new)

Nathaniel | 8 comments Kane.Deutmeyer wrote: "Something unique about the setting is that it is in the future and post war. in the post war they have recreated America and and there are no states but instead 12 districts also they renamed the c..."

message 31: by Arwind (new)

Arwind Sivakumar | 9 comments Erin wrote: "What is unique about the setting of the book and how does it enhance or take away from the story?"

The setting is unique because it has an eerie feel to it and also feels like it is set in a post-apocalyptic setting after america has failed. It is also set in the future because there are futuristic things like the hovercraft that materializes out of thin air which impossible with today's technology. This setting also has no human rights because it is illegal to even hunt which is just absurd because the people who live there don't have much to eat. This country also is very cruel because they take 12 teenagers every year to basically kill each other and everyone watches as entertainment.

message 32: by Wyatt (last edited Feb 07, 2017 11:56AM) (new)

Wyatt Willey | 8 comments The setting in this story, The Hunger Games, is unique because there are no states, there are districts. District 12 has almost a primitive feel compared to the Capitol. "If all the day off meant was roaming the mountains with Gale, hunting for tonight's supper," is one prime example of their basic lifestyle: hunting for your own dinner. Compared to the Capitol, this is a big step. If I had a choice of being in District 12 or the Capitol, I'd choose the Capitol.

message 33: by Greg (new)

Greg | 8 comments Brandon wrote: "the setting is unique because the story takes place in the future and it is also post-apocalyptic. you can tell that it is post-apocalyptical because panem use to be south america. panem is didvide..."
I agree that the story takes place in a post apocalyptic setting but it takes place in North America not South America

message 34: by Marie (new)

Marie | 7 comments The setting is unique because takes place Panem, North America. There were 13 districts, but one got bombed and destroyed. The 12th district is where Katniss and her family are living. The district is very poor and people would die from starvation. I think the setting fits the story perfectly.

message 35: by Wyatt (last edited Feb 08, 2017 11:53AM) (new)

Wyatt Willey | 8 comments Rayce wrote: "What is unique about the setting is that it is in the future but seems like it happened 50 years ago. The country is split up into 12 districts. Their used to be 13, but one got destroyed after the..."
Very agreeable Rayce! The government has been very controlling of it's people after the rebellion, similar to what happened here before the Civil Rights Movement. I would not want to experience what it was like living back then, or in that alternate future.

message 36: by Carter (new)

Carter | 7 comments Ethan wrote: "The setting is unique because it is in the future and is put into 12 different districts and seems like there was a war before the districts were made in the country of Panem. The capitol selects t..."

I agree with Ethan saying that the setting is unique because its based in the future after the rebellion

I agree with Ethan saying that

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

It's different how it starts long after the end of a war(74 years) just to get to a whole new one. I would realy like to read the war they had before the 74th Hunger Games.

message 38: by Grant (last edited Feb 09, 2017 06:38AM) (new)

Grant | 4 comments The setting is unique because their are now districts and not states anymore and every person in side of their district is not allowed to leave it, their is a big difference from the rich to poor the rich have everything plus more and the poor have nothing and they barley get by with a meal each day.

message 39: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Hobbs | 8 comments The setting is unique because instead of states, there are districts, and you are not allowed to leave your district. The rich have access to basically everything while the poor have nothing. Every district is controlled and monitored by the Capitol. Each district fights annually in the form of the Hunger Games, where the winning district gets rewarded in one way or another. That's why the setting in the Hunger Games is unique

message 40: by Anthony (last edited Mar 20, 2017 10:11AM) (new)

Anthony Hobbs | 8 comments Ashfaaq wrote: "The uniqueness of the setting is derived from the futuristic aspect of the story. The United States of America is non-existent in the present and is now replaced by a land known as Panem. Panem con..."

I agree with what Ashfaaq has to say. The story is set in the future, after America was completely wiped out due to various disasters. Disasters include various natural disasters and war.

message 41: by Arwind (new)

Arwind Sivakumar | 9 comments Evan wrote: "Something unique about the setting is that it is in the future and post war. After the war they have redisigned America and it became Pane. There are not any states but instead they had 13 district..."

I agree with this because the setting is most likely set in the future. But I don't completely agree that it is in America because there is no way of proving it. Therefore it might bet located somewhere else in north america.

message 42: by Suchir (new)

Suchir | 8 comments Luke wrote: "the setting of the hunger games is unique because they are in the future and there are twelve districts and the capitol. everyone in the districts is so poor and cant make enough money to survive w..."
I agree with that because you said that they have 12 districts and they are in the future. I agree that the capitol is very rich. I also agree that they have a lot of advanced tech.

message 43: by Blake (new)

Blake | 8 comments Kane.Deutmeyer wrote: "Something unique about the setting is that it is in the future and post war. in the post war they have recreated America and and there are no states but instead 12 districts also they renamed the c..."
I agree with that because it is based off the states but in the future and it is unique how they based it off the United States.

message 44: by Reece (new)

Reece Seery | 3 comments I think the setting is unique because they are in the future and a lot of the technology is high tech that we wouldn't have today in are regular life. There are also things called districts that people are set in and there are twelve of them ranging from rich to poor. The place where all the people live in are called panem. Another thing that makes the setting unique is that it is in post war and everything's is run down.

message 45: by Reece (new)

Reece Seery | 3 comments Blake wrote: "The setting is in the future. It is based off the United States but they have districts. They have 12 districts but they cannot go to the other districts. Then they get chosen to go to this event c..." I agree with Blake because there are twelve districts and they are in the country panem. They are also chosen to go to the event the Hunger Games. And the twelve districts cannot go to other districts.

message 46: by Marie (new)

Marie | 7 comments Ashfaaq wrote: "The uniqueness of the setting is derived from the futuristic aspect of the story. The United States of America is non-existent in the present and is now replaced by a land known as Panem. Panem con..."

I agree with you that in the future the world has become violence free.

message 47: by Conrad (new)

Conrad Vertz | 4 comments It is a good setting because it is in the future, It is based in the U.S, but in a post apocalyptic world in the country Panem, where their are twelve districts, its all high tech the stuff they have is way above what we have today in the real world. I don't think it takes away from the book at all, I actually think it adds to it makes it more interesting to read. “District Twelve. Where you can starve to death in safety,” I mutter. Then I glance quickly over my shoulder. Even here, even in the middle of nowhere, you worry someone might overhear you. Chapter 1

message 48: by Ethan (new)

Ethan Beaumier | 6 comments Its a really good setting because in the beginning it seems like the future because you wouldn't have this big run down wall that no one really goes near but Katniss and Gale.

message 49: by Grant (new)

Grant | 4 comments Conrad wrote: "It is a good setting because it is in the future, It is based in the U.S, but in a post apocalyptic world in the country Panem, where their are twelve districts, its all high tech the stuff they ha..." i agree with what Conrad is saying they do have very high tech stuff and it does not take away from the book at all

message 50: by Nathaniel (new)

Nathaniel | 8 comments Chris wrote: "the setting is unique because its like an anarchy when the have to fight people from other districts to live ."

« previous 1