Virals 2017 discussion

Chapter 1-17

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

What is unique about the setting of the book and how does it enhance or take away from the story?

message 2: by Connor (last edited Feb 01, 2017 06:39AM) (new)

Connor Eltoft | 8 comments The setting takes place on small island (4 square miles), called Morris Island which has a very small population. The setting enhances the story as the island was once a military base, which means the characters are living in converted military barracks which is unique. Their secluded setting, however, helps lead the characters into conflict.

message 3: by Izzy (new)

Izzy | 8 comments The setting takes place on Morris island, which is a small island with an even smaller population. This enhances the story because it creats many conflicts with the characters especially in a social setting. It also creates suspense because of the many things they can get in trouble with on the island.

message 4: by Lee (new)

Lee Fletcher | 8 comments The main characters home is small and secluded, and that kind of adds a 'hidden island' kind of vibe for me

message 5: by Connor (last edited Feb 10, 2017 06:14AM) (new)

Connor Eltoft | 8 comments Izzy wrote: "The setting takes place on Morris island, which is a small island with an even smaller population. This enhances the story because it creats many conflicts with the characters especially in a socia..."

I agree. I do believe the secluded island feeling creates several conflicts with those on the islands but what are some of them? I am curious to know what you think about the conflicts and if they are different than mine. Also, very good job about mentioning the characters having problems socially. I did not think of that myself and it seems pretty major about the story.

message 6: by Aili (new)

Aili Hill | 8 comments The setting of the book enhances the story by creating an environment in which the kids of Morris Island are very different from the other kids at their school. The kids are super close on Morris Island and everyone knows everyone. So when conflicts start arising you know somethings up. The people of Morris Island aren't just any other people either, they are scientists and doctors which makes the conflicts both social and internal all the more different then in a normal town. I'm excited to see how the conflicts tangle themselves more.

message 7: by Aili (new)

Aili Hill | 8 comments Connor wrote: "The setting takes place on small island (4 square miles), called Morris Island which has a very small population. The setting enhances the story as the island was once a military base, which means ..."

I didn't even consider the military aspect of the setting, I totally agree that it enhances the unique and secluded characteristics of the story. I also think the military background of the setting makes the lab and the people on the island all the more mysterious. However I don't think the seclusion of the people on Morris necessarily makes more conflict in the story but it sure does add something.

message 8: by Hollis (new)

Hollis | 8 comments The setting takes place on Morris Island near South Carolina. The island was a military base and most of the people on the island live in military barracks. This adds to the story because the setting is unique. The island is small ( four square miles) with small islands surrounding it. This creates conflict because one of the islands is a laboratory. The laboratory is used to study animals, the person that runs the place doesn't like the kids being on the property and wants them to be banned from the laboratory island. Also, the island is so small that this will be a close quarter conflicts which will add more suspense.

message 9: by Lee (new)

Lee Fletcher | 8 comments Connor wrote: "Izzy wrote: "The setting takes place on Morris island, which is a small island with an even smaller population. This enhances the story because it creates many conflicts with the characters especial..."
I agree, the characters' secluded home kind of drives them away from other kids

message 10: by Izzy (new)

Izzy | 8 comments Lee wrote: "The main characters home is small and secluded, and that kind of adds a 'hidden island' kind of vibe for me"

I didn't even think about how it was almost a "hidden island". That's a good thought. I also agree with how their secluded setting drives other kids away.

message 11: by Hollis (new)

Hollis | 8 comments I agree with Izzy on the social aspect and how being on the island can make it hard to make friends.

message 12: by Owen (new)

Owen Rhodes | 8 comments the setting on the small island helps you remember all the names because there are less people to worry about. The fact that they live in a military base helps change the setting so they have a place to hide safely. Being so close to liri makes it more suspenseful because the source of there problems are so close. the relationship with the wolf dogs points to how the story is going to end, "A rational person would have retreated, but when it comes to dogs im certifiable. something in that hole needed my help I was certain of it. slowly I inched ahead, willing whisper to understand trust me im not a threat."

message 13: by Owen (new)

Owen Rhodes | 8 comments Connor wrote: "The setting takes place on small island (4 square miles), called Morris Island which has a very small population. The setting enhances the story as the island was once a military base, which means ..."

I agree with connor on how the converted military barracks enhances the story

message 14: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Stribling | 3 comments The setting takes place on a small island, Morris island. Most people live in a military base in a military barrack, a interesting place to live and knowing it is only 4 square miles long. A conflict occurs when everyone knows everyone and creates a social conflict