Divergent 2017 discussion

Chapter 20-29

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

What moods has the book created for you so far? Why did you feel that way? Was the author trying to create this mood for you? If so, then how did he/she do it? If not, what made you feel this way?

message 2: by Abby (new)

Abby Thoms | 8 comments So far in the book it has created some romance and some suspense. The romance comes from the part that Tris and Four are beginning to realize that they like each other. The suspense is, is something going to happen when they people of Dauntless find out that Tris is Divergent. The author was trying to create mood so that you would want to know at the end of Tris passes her testing or she becomes factionless. "'Fine. You're not pretty. So?' He kisses my cheek. 'I like how you look. You're deadly smart. Your brave. And even though you found out about Marcus . . . ' His voice softens. 'You aren't giving me that look. Like I'm a kicked puppy or something.'" (Roth 337-338). "Peter's eyes find mine across the dining hall, and I have to force myself to look away." (Roth 292). Without the suspense of knowing that she does make it or not you would have a boring book. Knowing this the author brought different types of people in and personalities.

message 3: by tylee (new)

tylee | 8 comments the book has created a lot of moods, like suspense, romance, and sadness. the suspense comes from tris being divergent and wondering if people were finding out. the romance comes from tris and fours relationship. the sadness comes from all the things this goes through, like leaving her family and posing friends. the author was trying to make the reader feel that way, by making four and tris have a relationship, and tris go through all the things she did, and making four and tris divergent.

message 4: by Emma (new)

Emma | 6 comments So far the book has created both a suspenseful and romantic mood. The suspense begins when Tris finds out she's Divergent, but what would people do if they found out, and what does being a Divergent mean? "So Tori was right. Divergent is a dangerous thing to be. I just don't know why, or even what it means, still" (Roth, 187). This sentence makes you ask yourself the same questions: why is it dangerous? What does it mean? And that causes suspense. The romance begins with Tris and Four. "We kiss again, and this time, it feels familiar. I know exactly how we fit together, his arm around my waist, my hands on his chest, the pressure of his lips on mine. We have each other memorized " (Roth, 407).
In conclusion, the book's mood consist of romance and suspens.

message 5: by Emma (new)

Emma | 6 comments Abby wote: "So far in the book it has created some romanse and some suspense..."
I agree that every book must have some suspense, otherwise it would be boring. In the beginning of the book, the Author had Tris decide which fraction to choose, and that added suspense. Therefore, ever since the beginning, the Author has been adding little bits of suspense.

message 6: by Abby (last edited Feb 16, 2017 12:28PM) (new)

Abby Thoms | 8 comments Emma wrote: "So far the book has created both a suspenseful and romantic mood. The suspense begins when Tris finds out she's Divergent, but what would people do if they found out, and what does being a Divergen..."
I agree with Emma because Tris and Four did create that reaction with their romance. They also create the suspense with being Divergent or not. I didn't say this in my post but it think the mood is also adventure because they have to beat out the stimulation to survive and see what is happening at Dauntless headquarters.

message 7: by Shiv (new)

Shiv Patel | 8 comments The book has created lots of moods such as: sadness, romance, and suspense. The suspense begins when Tris find out that here faction is really Divergent!!! "So Tori was right. Divergent is a dangerous thing to be. I just don't know why, or even what it means, still" (Roth, 187). The sadness comes from Tris having to leave her family and all other thing surrounded by that. The romance comes in when Tris and Four start liking each other. The author wanted you to feel like you were in the book. That is why the author put all the different moods in there.

message 8: by Ethan (new)

Ethan | 4 comments I think the book has created suspense, and romance. the suspense is when she keeps thinking that everybody thinks that she is a divergent. The romance is when the Tris and Four like each other and start doing stuff with each other. Those are the moods that I think the book has created

message 9: by tylee (new)

tylee | 8 comments Abby wrote: "So far in the book it has created some romance and some suspense. The romance comes from the part that Tris and Four are beginning to realize that they like each other. The suspense is, is somethin..."

i agree with abby, that the book has created some suspense and romance. and that the romance comes from tris and four. and that there are multiple sources of suspense in the book.

message 10: by Jake (new)

Jake | 8 comments I think that the book has created suspense and romance because Tris left the faction to go see her brother (Roth 361) and Tris also went with four to go to see four's fears but after they kissed (Roth 338). I felt that way because the author wanted us to feel like that. Roth created this mood by describing everything as dark or as how Tris's cheeks would warm up.

message 11: by Jake (new)

Jake | 8 comments Abby wrote: "Emma wrote: "So far the book has created both a suspenseful and romantic mood. The suspense begins when Tris finds out she's Divergent, but what would people do if they found out, and what does bei..."
I think that shiv is right about how the author made all these moods to keep us stuck in the book.Also i think there was a lot of romance and suspense in these chapters. But i also want to know what divergent means.

message 12: by Shiv (new)

Shiv Patel | 8 comments Jake wrote: I think that the book has created suspense and romance because Tris left the faction to go see her brother (Roth 361) and Tris also went with four to go to see four's fears but after they kissed (Roth 338). I felt that way because the author wanted us to feel like that. Roth created this mood by describing everything as dark or as how Tris's cheeks would warm up.

This is true I completely agree with Jake because the author used both suspense and romance between Tris and her brother. That is why I agree with Jake.