Divergent 2017 discussion

Chapter 10-19

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Do the characters seem real and believable? Can you relate to their predicaments? To what extent do they remind you of yourself or someone you know?

message 2: by Abby (new)

Abby Thoms | 8 comments Some of the characters seem real in the life we live today. Such as Four who is helping the new kids good training to do better things in life, just like teachers. With Tris I can relate to being that odd one out when you first get there because I have moved and it's weird knowing no one coming in. Four reminds me of my best friends brother because he always is there to protect her and teach her new things when she is having trouble or just needs it. "I'm worried that you have a knack for making unwise decisions." (Roth 129) The characters that seem fake are Eric because if someone really hates you that much that they have you have people throw knives at your head they are going crazy. The other character that seemed fake was Peter because I'm pretty sure if you don't like a ranking that you get your not going to stab someone in the eye.

message 3: by Emma (new)

Emma | 6 comments I think that the characters do seen real and believable, just because of their actions and what they say. However, I can't think of any situation I've had that can relate to the characters predicament. I think that Al is the one of the characters that I can relate to the most, because like me, he doesn't want to hurt people, he just wants to protect them. Al said, "I think it's important to protect people. To stand up for people..." (Roth, 190) Therefore, Al reminds me the most of myself, because we both want to protect others, instead of hurting them.

message 4: by Emma (new)

Emma | 6 comments Abby wrote: "Some of the characters seem real in the life we live today. Such as Four who is helping the new kids good training to do better things in life, just like teachers..."

I agree that Four is like a mentor, and that makes him feel real. However, I think that Eric would make a perfect drill sergeant, or prison guard in the real world, so he seems real in that sense. Peter could also be a bully (that went to far, and ends up in jail) in real life, so he seems real in that sense.

message 5: by Shiv (new)

Shiv Patel | 8 comments The characters seem real and believable because the character build up the students and there courage. I can also relate to Al because he does not want to harm the people he wants to keep them safe. "I think it's important to protect people. To stand up for people..." That is why I think I am like Al and not the other characters.

message 6: by tylee (new)

tylee | 8 comments the characters do seem real and believable because of the way they react to the situations they are in. but i can't really relate to their predicaments because i've never been through something similar. but we can still relate to what they are feeling. most of the characters don't remind me of myself, but some of them do remind me of some one i know. because of the way they react, or handle certain things.

message 7: by Jake (new)

Jake | 8 comments The characters in the story for the most part seem real and like us. Also I can relate to there embarrassments for example when Tris stood up for Al and had to stand in front of the room is like when I have to give a presentation because I just get nervous, next is that I am like Al and how he could beat people up but he doesn't want to (Roth 208). Al was supposed to be cut but because of the incident with Edward and Peter Al didn't get cut.

message 8: by Jake (new)

Jake | 8 comments Emma wrote: "I think that the characters do seen real and believable, just because of their actions and what they say. However, I can't think of any situation I've had that can relate to the characters predicament..."
I agree with Emma that Al doesn't want to hurt people but wants to protect them but also I think that he doesn't to become faction less so in the future Al will end up fighting people and possible beating peter and overcome first place

message 9: by Abby (new)

Abby Thoms | 8 comments Emma wrote: "Abby wrote: "Some of the characters seem real in the life we live today. Such as Four who is helping the new kids good training to do better things in life, just like teachers..."

I agree that Four is a mentor. However i do nit think that Eric would be a good army sergeant because i know people in the army that would not except that behavior you still have to be nice even if you are strict.

message 10: by Shiv (new)

Shiv Patel | 8 comments Tylee wrote: The characters do seem real and believable because of the way they react to the situations they are in. but i can't really relate to their predicaments because I've never been through something similar. but we can still relate to what they are feeling. most of the characters don't remind me of myself, but some of them do remind me of some one i know. because of the way they react, or handle certain things.

I agree that the characters do seem real and believable because the characters don't react react in the same way as each other, they react differently during different situations.

message 11: by tylee (new)

tylee | 8 comments Emma wrote: "I think that the characters do seen real and believable, just because of their actions and what they say. However, I can't think of any situation I've had that can relate to the characters predicam..."

i agree with emma, the chatter do seem real, but their situations are not relatable. and that you can relate to their beliefs about certain things, but not their situations.