Uglies 2017 discussion

17 views
Pages 320-End

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

What specific themes did the author emphasize throughout the novel? What do you think he or she is trying to get across to the reader? How did the author try to do this?


message 2: by Blake (last edited Feb 16, 2017 06:21AM) (new)

Blake Burczek | 9 comments it was a good book over all it showed lots of theams throughout the story like happy sad and lonely.


message 3: by Blake (new)

Blake Burczek | 9 comments Erin wrote: "What specific themes did the author emphasize throughout the novel? What do you think he or she is trying to get across to the reader? How did the author try to do this?"

i agree


message 4: by Allison (new)

Allison Feigenbaum | 8 comments I think the main theme is that everything isn’t as perfect as they seems and that uniformity is not always better, because having everyone have the operation sounds amazing. “There is a certain kind of beauty, a prettiness that everyone could see. Big eyes and full lips like; smooth clear skin;symmetrical features; and a thousand other little clues.” (Westerfeld 16). But the truth is far from that because they really put these lesions in your brain so you think “pretty”. I think this is the theme to show you that being different or original is not necessarily a bad thing. That you should be you because it is not necessarily good for everyone to look and act the same.


message 5: by Alexa (last edited Feb 16, 2017 12:00PM) (new)

Alexa Martin | 7 comments The theme this author emphasized throughout this novel was ‘Be yourself no matter what society tells you’ because in this book, Tally and Shay were both ugly even after their 16th birthday and they both moved to The Smoke. Society told them they should turn pretty and neither of them did. I think the author wanted us to know this because if you do only what society tell you, your life will always be trying to live up to standards. The author tried to do this by showing how Pretties and Uglies act differently and how after you turn pretty, your life is fun, but still not perfect. “Tally shook her head, not knowing how to ask Shay if she was brain damaged” (Westerfeld 365). I think if you didn’t know that Pretties had brain damage, you wouldn’t be able to tell. They act differently and everyone thinks that it is just because they grew up.


message 6: by Olivia (last edited Feb 16, 2017 01:24PM) (new)

Olivia Cannizzaro | 8 comments This theme throughout the book is don't do something just because everyone else is, or what everyone else thinks is "cool". Tally thought she could fit in or become popular once she has the surgery. That she it ugly the way she is, but she learned that she is good the way she is. " 'You think i'm beautiful?'
'Yes' "(Westerfeld 262) The government programed their citizens to think they are all ugly. The author was trying to say it doesn't matter what you look like. He did this by making a character not influenced by the government.


message 7: by Olivia (new)

Olivia Cannizzaro | 8 comments Alexa wrote: "The theme this author emphasized throughout this novel was ‘Be yourself no matter what society tells you’ because in this book, Tally and Shay were both ugly even after their 16th birthday and they..."
I also think that was the theme the author was trying to get across. That It is not ok to change just because someone tells you to or they think it is what you are supposed to do. You should not change because that is what everyone else is doing.


message 8: by Allison (new)

Allison Feigenbaum | 8 comments Alexa wrote: "The theme this author emphasized throughout this novel was ‘Be yourself no matter what society tells you’ because in this book, Tally and Shay were both ugly even after their 16th birthday and they..."

I agree with Alexa. I also think one of the biggest themes is be yourself no matter what society tells you. I think he tells you this because so many people want to be exactly like others because they want to fit in instead of being themselves.


message 9: by Nina (new)

Nina | 7 comments He emphasized being different or deifying the stereotype. When Tally became friends with Shay and Shay left, it showed that not everyone wants to be pretty or live the life that everyone else does. She wanted to be different and runaway with her friends where there was no being ugly or pretty, just kids.


message 10: by Nina (new)

Nina | 7 comments Alexa wrote: "The theme this author emphasized throughout this novel was ‘Be yourself no matter what society tells you’ because in this book, Tally and Shay were both ugly even after their 16th birthday and they..." I agree that this book is about being yourself. And it does defy it when Shy leaves and Tally chases after.


message 11: by Alexa (new)

Alexa Martin | 7 comments Allison wrote: "I think the main theme is that everything isn’t as perfect as they seems and that uniformity is not always better, because having everyone have the operation sounds amazing. “There is a certain kin..."

I agree that sometimes not everything is perfect even though it may seem that way. If everyone was not original then the world would be very boring. Tally and the other Smokies knew that and were smart to try and get away. If I were Tally I would always wonder what Pretties had brain damage.


message 12: by Avery (new)

Avery Hand | 7 comments The author emphasized multiple themes, like everything isn't always how it seems and to always be yourself no matter what. He is trying to get across to the readers that everything isn't always perfect and that you shouldn't always believe stereotypes. The author did this by having Shay run away, and once Tally leaves to find her, she winds up wanting to stay ugly. Also, he did this by having Tally look at David and think he's amazing, even if he was an ugly. "But the moonlight and the setting, or maybe just the words he was saying, had somehow turned David into a pretty." (Westerfield 237)


message 13: by Macy (new)

Macy | 8 comments Some specific themes the author creates in the Uglies is to be yourself and not worry what others think of you. Scott Westerfeld is trying to get across you is not to judge others because they are different from you and to be yourself, don't change who you are. For example, "I like the way i look," Shay insisted. "I'm happier in this body."... You're all full of schemes and rebellions, crazy with fear and paranoia, even jealousy" "That's what ugly does." (Westerfeld 390). This is showing that you shouldn't change who you are, even if some people think it's better for you.


message 14: by Avery (new)

Avery Hand | 7 comments Alexa wrote: "The theme this author emphasized throughout this novel was ‘Be yourself no matter what society tells you’ because in this book, Tally and Shay were both ugly even after their 16th birthday and they..."

I agree with this completely. Nobody thinks anything is wrong with the pretties besides the people of The Smoke, who know about the brain damage. Everyone just thinks they "grew up" because they either also have brain damage or they work for Special Circumstances.


message 15: by Ella (new)

Ella Wagner | 8 comments I think the theme was that you don't have to be pretty on the outside to be pretty on the inside. The author is trying to show us what mistakes people will make for the sake of their own vanity. She showed us that having operations to change who you are could destroy you. Like when the Smokies found Shay after she had been turned. (Westerfeld 365) Overall I think the book was somewhat predictable, but was still a decent read.


message 16: by Ella (last edited Feb 21, 2017 12:14PM) (new)

Ella Wagner | 8 comments Alexa wrote: "The theme this author emphasized throughout this novel was ‘Be yourself no matter what society tells you’ because in this book, Tally and Shay were both ugly even after their 16th birthday and they..."

I totally agree with you. Their society made their actions seem normal, so they thought that everything was normal.


message 17: by Amia (new)

Amia | 8 comments Drake once said “Beauty isn't about having a pretty face it's about having a pretty mind, pretty heart ,and a pretty soul,” . So I think that’s the theme that the author emphasizes throughout the novel. I also think that he was trying to say that you're beautiful no matter what you look like, what race you are, or how smart you are. and that you can achieve anything that you put your mind to. The author showed this by having Tally go to the Smoke on her own. In the chapters Leaving-Lies it tells us about her struggles in the Rusty Ruins but she still made it.


message 18: by Mia (new)

Mia Frese | 10 comments Scott Westerfield emphasized the defiance of stereotypes. "Then she turned and her hoverboard climed away toward the river," (Westerfield 92). This shows that not all uglies are eager to become pretty, including Shay. He also achieved emphasizing the fact that you are pretty no matter what, because looking like everyone else is boring, and your imperfections are what make you perfect. I think this message was given because people in the present face these same insecurities about themselves as well.


message 19: by Mia (new)

Mia Frese | 10 comments Nina wrote: "He emphasized being different or deifying the stereotype. When Tally became friends with Shay and Shay left, it showed that not everyone wants to be pretty or live the life that everyone else does...."
I agree. Through there setting and society their perspective upon life became different. Also, stereotypes are a huge part of out present society and they are meant to be broken.


message 20: by Mia (new)

Mia Frese | 10 comments Blake wrote: "it was a good book over all it showed lots of theams throughout the story like happy sad and lonely."
I agree with those three things if the question were about mood. However, the question was abut themes so therefore I don't agree on what you have written. One example of a theme would be defying the stereotype.


message 21: by Abbie (new)

Abbie Bouska | 8 comments Westerfeld presents several theams like body image issues and government corrupting peoples lives , and people wanting to like their life to its fullest. It shows Tally choosing to be happy and ugly rather than pretty and alone ( Westerfeld 274).i feel that Westerfeld is trying to tell young readers that if you just accept your self that you can be happy .he shwed this by showing that Tally is happy being herself and not pretty.


message 22: by Abbie (new)

Abbie Bouska | 8 comments Mia wrote: "Scott Westerfield emphasized the defiance of stereotypes. "Then she turned and her hoverboard climed away toward the river," (Westerfield 92). This shows that not all uglies are eager to become pre..."

I really like the way you worded the theam that Wester feld is trying to tell his readers.and i compleatly agree with what you think is the theam


message 23: by Amia (new)

Amia | 8 comments Alexa wrote: "The theme this author emphasized throughout this novel was ‘Be yourself no matter what society tells you’ because in this book, Tally and Shay were both ugly even after their 16th birthday and they..."

I agree that the theme was also ‘Be yourself no matter what society tells you’. But that wasn’t the reason Tally went to the smoke. Therefor I agree with your quote just not the citation.


message 24: by Macy (new)

Macy | 8 comments Amia wrote: "Drake once said “Beauty isn't about having a pretty face it's about having a pretty mind, pretty heart ,and a pretty soul,” . So I think that’s the theme that the author emphasizes throughout the n..."

I agree with you when you say that the author is trying to tell us that we are beautiful no matter who we are. He shows us this by making her face many hard challenges and doing them with a strong heart.


back to top