Uglies 2017 discussion

Pages 111-211

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Do the characters seem real and believable? Can you relate to their predicaments? To what extent do they remind you of yourself or someone you know?

message 2: by Jada (new)

Jada Scott (JadaScott) | 5 comments The characters do seem real just by the way they think like kids in our modern century. There are certain predicaments I can relate to bacause I think all teenage girls wish there was something different about them or a insecurity the only different thing is that they can change what they dont like when they turn 16. Tally reminds me of myself because I look in the mirror all the time naming all the things i dont like about myself, like Tally.

message 3: by Olivia (new)

Olivia Cannizzaro | 8 comments The Characters in the book could at one point be real and believable. They can relate to present humans in many ways. Obviously we do not live in the world they do where you have to look like everyone else "pretty" and if you don't you have to be separated from those who are, but we do judge and characterize people based on looks. " 'They aren't freaks' Shay said 'The weird thing is, these are famous people.'
'Famous for being what hideous?'(Westerfeld 189)
There predicaments are similar to those we have now.

message 4: by Olivia (new)

Olivia Cannizzaro | 8 comments Jada wrote: "The characters do seem real just by the way they think like kids in our modern century. There are certain predicaments I can relate to bacause I think all teenage girls wish there was something dif..."
I agree with Jada. Teenage girls do have some of the same concerns that the character in this book do. Maybe not as extravagant, but there are women who fell the need to change how they look.

message 5: by Nina (new)

Nina | 7 comments The characters are believable. Most people want to fit in and be pretty. Most people care what others think, but there are some individuals who don't care what everyone else thinks and wants to be different. The people who want to fit in would be everyone who turned pretty. The individuals who aren't afraid to be different are the runaways like Shay. I think all the characters are realistic.

message 6: by Allison (new)

Allison Feigenbaum | 8 comments I think the characters are real or believable. Some of the challenges they face people in today's world also face. Some of the problems they face are a much more extreme version of what people face today, because in today's world people look different from each other and may like the way someone else looks better but we are not separated by the way we look like they are. Also in both our world and in theirs every one just wants to fit in. “She stayed in her room until lunch was over. She couldn’t face a cafeteria full of uglies watching her every move wondering what she had done to deserve an ugly face.” (Westerfeld 113). This shows how much people hate being ugly and that it is embarrassing to be ugly longer than you have to be. I think it would be weird to be separated by how you look.

message 7: by Ella (new)

Ella Wagner | 8 comments The characters are real in the ways that they struggle with their emotions, just as normal people do. Tally is faced with the conflict between betraying her best friend, or choosing to be pretty. Everyone in the normal world just wants to fit in, and Tally wants the same. Honestly, Tally reminds me a bit of myself. I can relate to her hesitance to betray Shay, but can also relate to her want to be pretty. "Either Tally infiltrated the Smoke and betrayed Shay, or she'd be ugly forever." (Westerfeld 130) I thought it was really funny when the girls were judging the celebrities that are considered beautiful and calling them ugly.

message 8: by Avery (new)

Avery Hand | 7 comments I think the characters are very real and believable. A lot of people struggle with their identity and both their own and society's idea of beauty, especially teens. People aren't so much separated by their looks, but they are definitely judged. Almost everyone who has felt discrimination towards their body or appearance can relate to these predicaments. The characters who are insecure about themselves and their appearance are ones that many can relate to, including me.

message 9: by Blake (new)

Blake Burczek | 9 comments Yes they do seem real because they act a lot like us regular people. they act like my brother because he is trying to get not ugly but its not gonna happen.

message 10: by Sophia (new)

Sophia | 2 comments The characters do seem a bit believable because they have difficulties facing their problems and they want to do the right or, what they think is the right thing. But at the same I can't really relate to some of the situations they're in like not seeing your parents everyday. And having a coming of age surgery where they grind your bones and construct your body with plastic and make you a totally new person. They do though remind me of myself by having to make tough decisions while knowing their going to hurt someones feelings

message 11: by Matthew (new)

Matthew | 4 comments The characters do seem believable and real! Because they express emotions that regular teenagers would express. I do think it relates to some people that I know. They are always trying make sure they look their best, and are constantly pointing out how they would look better. So I do believe the characters in this relate to some teenagers, and some adults in this world.

message 12: by Matthew (new)

Matthew | 4 comments I agree with Sophie. Because the characters do seem to have some characteristics most of us would have, or emotions we would feel. They thane problems and we have problems. I can relate to some of the characters in this book.

message 13: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Jessen | 8 comments The characters seem mostly real. A lot of the things that they do wouldn't be realistic in our present time, however I can see someone acting in a similar manner if the story ever related to society. Shay and Tally both sort of remind me of Tris from Divergent because they are brave. I personally can not relate to their predicaments, mainly because of the difference in our society's. The whole story reminds me of Divergent in a way because of how they are separated into different groups.

message 14: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Jessen | 8 comments Allison wrote: "I think the characters are real or believable. Some of the challenges they face people in today's world also face. Some of the problems they face are a much more extreme version of what people face..."
I agree with Allison. A lot of the problems that they are facing wouldn't happen in modern day times. It would be totally realistic, however, in the future.

message 15: by Allison (new)

Allison Feigenbaum | 8 comments Ella wrote: "The characters are real in the ways that they struggle with their emotions, just as normal people do. Tally is faced with the conflict between betraying her best friend, or choosing to be pretty. E..."

I agree with Ella. I think that many people can relate to wanting to fit in. I think that is one of the most common problems people face in today's world.

message 16: by Alexa (new)

Alexa Martin | 7 comments The characters seem real and believable because they are humans, they just have a different world than us. Their predicaments are relatable because they can cry and get angry, and so can humans. They remind me of regular people a lot because they can hate things and make fun of other people. “She hated being called Stick Insect, or Pig-Eyes, or any of the other things Uglies called one another” (Westerfeld 75). I think the only reason they call each other names is because they feel bad for themselves. Pretties don’t call each other names and I think that is because they are happy with themselves.

message 17: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Bell | 2 comments I think the characters are very believable and real because they face problems that we face everyday. I can definitely relate to their predicaments. The characters in a way remind me about myself and someone I know just from all their feelings they have about themselves and other people.

message 18: by Alexa (new)

Alexa Martin | 7 comments Sophia wrote: "The characters do seem a bit believable because they have difficulties facing their problems and they want to do the right or, what they think is the right thing. But at the same I can't really rel..."

I agree that it would be weird to not see your parents everyday. I also agree that they are like humans since they have to make hard decisions. Tally doesn’t want to be selfish but she also doesn’t want to die ugly. Making this decision would be very difficult.

message 19: by Macy (new)

Macy | 8 comments I think the characters in the story are believable because they deal with their insecurities with their bodies. Today in our world we deal with things we don't like about our selves, just like the uglies have things they don't like about ourselves. At times I can relate to their predicaments, but some other times I don't care about me embarrassing myself. "Tally's wide eyes widened as Shay turned the pages... She'd never seen so many wildly different faces before." (Westerfield 189). This shows that the uglies think that everyone should look pretty and perfect. To my extent I know some one who thinks everyone should look different and it doesn't matter if you fat, skinny, or "ugly".

message 20: by Mia (new)

Mia Frese | 10 comments The characters in Uglies seem real because their insecurities about themselves is relatable in the present. "She tweaked the eyebrows, making their arch more dramatic, and added roundness to the cheeks." (Westerfield 42). One difference between our reality is that at the age of 16 they can get an operation to change their entire appearance and become pretty. As of right now, instead of major operations we use make-up and take pride in our appearance based on the fact that we don't look like everyone else. Lastly, the characters seem real because in our present and their present times, some sort of segregation is an issue. Therefore, the characters seem real because of the conflicts in our society's.

message 21: by Mia (new)

Mia Frese | 10 comments Ella wrote: "The characters are real in the ways that they struggle with their emotions, just as normal people do. Tally is faced with the conflict between betraying her best friend, or choosing to be pretty. E..." I completely agree. In our reality we can't undergo a major operation to get everything we want in ourselfs. I also think that this is relatable in present time because appearance is important and we use make-up to try and cover our imperfections. Overall, I agree with everything you have stated.

message 22: by Amia (new)

Amia | 8 comments Yes, the characters seem real and believable by the way that they act. For example Tally was going to give up her friend for her own benefit. In the chapter LIES Tally thought to herself “It didn’t matter, Tally reminded herself….Once in the Smoke, she’d activate the pendent and be home within a day, maybe hours. All the food and clothes that she’d ever need, hers for asking. Her face pretty at long last, and Peris and all of their other friends around them.”( Westerfeld, 184 ). That’s called greed and there’s a lot of people today who would do the same thing. So no I can’t relate to their predicaments. Also they don’t remind me of anyone that I know.

message 23: by Ella (new)

Ella Wagner | 8 comments Mia wrote: "The characters in Uglies seem real because their insecurities about themselves is relatable in the present. "She tweaked the eyebrows, making their arch more dramatic, and added roundness to the ch..."

i completely agree with you. this book is very relatable to our problems in society today. Its all about whos the prettiest, and who's the skinniest.

message 24: by Avery (new)

Avery Hand | 7 comments Mia wrote: "The characters in Uglies seem real because their insecurities about themselves is relatable in the present. "She tweaked the eyebrows, making their arch more dramatic, and added roundness to the ch..."
I agree with what you wrote. everyone wants to look pretty and perfect, but not like everyone else around them. They want to be their own kind of perfect.

message 25: by Abbie (last edited Feb 14, 2017 06:39AM) (new)

Abbie Bouska | 8 comments Do the characters seem real and believable? Can you relate to their predicaments? To what extent do they remind you of yourself or someone you know?

yes the characters do seem real because when tally was out in the wide it described he emotions very well ,like how some one would feel after being in the wild for a while.she had to eat the same food for many days and she got sick of it real quick "then there was the mere thought of mere noodles made her never want to eat again."(Westerfeld 154). I can sort of relate to Tallys predicaments because I have been camping and I know what it is like to camp out in the wild but not for 2 weeks. Tally reminds me of my brother who is kinda hesitant but will give in with enough convincing like how paris convinced her to do what the Specials wanted her to do "You'll keep your promise ,Tally?..... Of course Really? Yeah I'll be there as soon as I can ." (Westerfeld 122)

message 26: by Darby (new)

Darby | 3 comments The characters seem very real because in our generation many people want to be diverse and it is accepted to be different. Yes i can relate to their predicaments, because everyone struggles with the way they look sometimes, and thinking if the world was split into two different society's it would be hard to except yourself if you were an ugly.(Westerfeld 1-406) Tally reminds me of a friend that struggles greatly with accepting with who they are, and not realizing that everyone has their differences.

message 27: by Abbie (last edited Feb 15, 2017 06:24AM) (new)

Abbie Bouska | 8 comments Macywhite wrote: "I think the characters in the story are believable because they deal with their insecurities with their bodies. Today in our world we deal with things we don't like about our selves, just like the ..."

I completely agree with you on how they have insecurities just like we do and it does make the book way more believable.i also agree that everyone should look different because if everyone looked the same then you cant e different and have your own quirks.

message 28: by Amia (new)

Amia | 8 comments Jada wrote: "The characters do seem real just by the way they think like kids in our modern century. There are certain predicaments I can relate to bacause I think all teenage girls wish there was something dif..."
I agree with most of what you said. About that most teenage girls feel insecure about themselves, but not all of them do. It is true though that a lot of girls our age feel the need to change how they look because they want to fit in.

message 29: by Nina (new)

Nina | 7 comments Allison wrote: "I think the characters are real or believable. Some of the challenges they face people in today's world also face. Some of the problems they face are a much more extreme version of what people face..." I agree with your statement. The characters are very real and that the situations make them believable.

message 30: by Conner (new)

Conner | 3 comments the characters are believable, because people in today's world have to deal with not fitting in and being different. They may be a sort of outcast.

message 31: by Madison (new)

Madison Volkenant | 3 comments The characters definitely sound believable and real! They use technology just like us and think it's weird how people could ever live without the technology they have now. For example when Tally is very confused about what the boss means by work, "Now, young lady, I suppose you're here for a work assignment" (Westerfeld, 193). They definitely remind me of the kids I babysit because they both are confused why you have to do manual labor when there technology to do it for you. I don't think I know anyone that's in there exact situation though.

message 32: by Olivia (new)

Olivia Schneider | 4 comments The characters in the Uglies seem fairly real to me. I can't really relate to any of their challenges or situations, but that makes reading even more exciting since I have no idea what will happen. I can relate mostly to Shay. She seems like a very upbeat and confident, yet stubborn person. She reminds me of some of my friends. "A second later the bungee jacket activated, and Shay bobbed back up in midair, laughing maniacally at the top of her lungs." (Westerfeld 77). I do think the author could have given Tally a bit more emotion. She seems slightly distant from everything.

message 33: by Macy (new)

Macy | 8 comments Allison wrote: "I think the characters are real or believable. Some of the challenges they face people in today's world also face. Some of the problems they face are a much more extreme version of what people face..."

I agree with you when you think the characters seem real and believable because us in today's world do face many of the challenges we face, such as not feeling the best or feeling alone and lonely.