Uglies 2017 discussion

Pages 1-110

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

What is unique about the setting of the book and how does it enhance or take away from the story?

message 2: by Jada (new)

Jada Scott (JadaScott) | 5 comments Something unique about the setting is that it takes place in the future and the world is kind of separated between uglies and pretties and I think it makes the story better just because it is the whole point of the story.

message 3: by Blake (new)

Blake Burczek | 9 comments Jada wrote: "Something unique about the setting is that it takes place in the future and the world is kind of separated between uglies and pretties and I think it makes the story better just because it is the w..."

cool

message 4: by Conner (new)

Conner | 3 comments There is basically two worlds going on in one and you are segregated and confined to the ugly world until you turn 16.

message 5: by Blake (new)

Blake Burczek | 9 comments it is unique because there are uglies and pretty's on one world and they live separate. the setting is in the future.

message 6: by Madison (last edited Feb 09, 2017 04:36PM) (new)

Madison Volkenant | 3 comments The setting is very unique because it shows you how that being pretty in their world is everything and if you're not pretty than you are less than others. This setting very much enhances the story by showing that this world is different from ours and that brings a lot of suspense to the story as we wonder why everyone wants to be a very pretty person. We do find out though that a few people that don't want to undergo the operation to be pretty, just like Shay. Those kind of people are dangerous to a mysterious group called special circumstances

message 7: by Conner (new)

Conner | 3 comments Blake wrote: "it is unique because there are uglies and pretty's on one world and they live separate. The setting is in the future."

Yep

message 8: by Allison (last edited Feb 09, 2017 10:50AM) (new)

Allison Feigenbaum | 8 comments Erin wrote: "What is unique about the setting of the book and how does it enhance or take away from the story?"

The setting is unique because there are basically two different worlds which both take place in one. You have the pretty world and the ugly world and everyone in the ugly word wishes they were in the pretty world. "Maybe this was a stupid plan, but anything was better than another night awake in bed feeling sorry for herself." (Westerfeld 4) This shows how she will do anything to get her mind off the fact she is not pretty yet and she is not living in pretty town. The separation between pretties and uglies is like segregation between races.

message 9: by Macy (new)

Macy | 8 comments Erin wrote: "What is unique about the setting of the book and how does it enhance or take away from the story?"
Something that makes the setting unique is that there is two worlds, the pretties who are perfect and have no flaws, and the other world, the uglies who are ugly, and have many flaws about themselves. All of the pretties have perfect lives, meanwhile the uglies wish they were perfect and want be older so they can be pretty. "She'd spent the last four years looking out at New Pretty town, wanting nothing more than to cross the river and not come back... to spy on the life she would eventually have." (Westerfeld 82). This means she can't wait to get her surgery and become pretty so she can go to prettyvile. In this day and age there is surgeries available to fix things about yourself, but in society there is no discrimination of how you look.

message 10: by Ella (new)

Ella Wagner | 8 comments The setting in the uglies is unique because it takes place after a war that destroyed civilization. The uglies live in worn down dorms whilst the pretties live lavishly in mansions. The setting enhances the story by giving you clues that the society they live in is corrupt. The rusty ruins give a sense of mystery and tell you what might have happened in the past. I'm enjoying this book so far and I hope to find out more about what happened to destroy part of the world.

message 11: by Shermiah (new)

Shermiah Doughtry | 1 comments the setting is in new pretties town and ugly town and ugly people live in ugly town and all the pretty people live in New pretty town. Then out side of town its just a wreck land and shay and tally go there and sort of realize that inside the towns its this perfect fake town. From pages 66-72 explains the wreck town.

message 12: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Jessen | 8 comments The setting is unique because it takes place in the future and it is split into two different groups.

message 13: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Jessen | 8 comments The setting makes everyone want to be a pretty, whose lives are "perfect," and no one wants to be an ugly. I think this takes away from the story because it separates everyone into two different groups. The uglies are envious of the pretties, and the pretties don't like the uglies. This leads to conflict between the two groups because the pretties think they are better than the uglies, and the uglies generally agree.

message 14: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Jessen | 8 comments Ella wrote: "The setting in the uglies is unique because it takes place after a war that destroyed civilization. The uglies live in worn down dorms whilst the pretties live lavishly in mansions. The setting enh..."
I agree that the Rusty Ruins add mystery to the story, but how do you think the fact that the society is corrupt enhance the story?

message 15: by Olivia (new)

Olivia Cannizzaro | 8 comments Something that is unique about the setting is that it is separated into two different groups, the uglies and the pretties. "She could see New Pretty Town through her open window." (Westerfeld 3) I think this is an interesting setting. So far I think this book is very good!

message 16: by Matthew (new)

Matthew | 4 comments The setting is unique because in this new world there are two types of groups, the Pretties and the Uglies. The pretties lives are considered 'perfect' to the uglies because the pretties have the freedom to do whatever they want. While the uglies are stuck with strict rules. But when the uglies turn 16 in age, they become a
pretty. The setting gives you clues though, about how segregation between the pretties and the uglies is only one of the many problems. I think the setting gives more to the story because of this.

message 17: by Olivia (new)

Olivia Cannizzaro | 8 comments I agree that the problems between the uglies and the pretty adds conflict to the story. Because they believe that the pretties are in a way better than the uglies it adds extra conflict to the story.

message 18: by Allison (last edited Feb 09, 2017 10:47AM) (new)

Allison Feigenbaum | 8 comments Ella wrote: "The setting in the uglies is unique because it takes place after a war that destroyed civilization. The uglies live in worn down dorms whilst the pretties live lavishly in mansions. The setting enh..."
I agree. I also think that the Rusty Ruins are sub post to be what our present day society is. Do you agree?

message 19: by Macy (last edited Feb 08, 2017 07:36AM) (new)

Macy | 8 comments Allison wrote: "Erin wrote: "What is unique about the setting of the book and how does it enhance or take away from the story?"

The setting is unique because there are basically two different worlds which both ta..."

I agree with your thought about how they segregate the pretties and the uglies is much like the separation of races. I believe that they should all stay together, no matter of what their appearances look like. Do you think that the pretties and the uglies should be separated?

message 20: by Jada (new)

Jada Scott (JadaScott) | 5 comments Olivia Cannizzaro wrote: "I agree that the problems between the uglies and the pretty adds conflict to the story. Because they believe that the pretties are in a way better than the uglies it adds extra conflict to the story".

I didn't think about that

message 21: by Sophia (new)

Sophia | 2 comments The setting is unique because in the story we're in some futuristic world where the only way to not have conflict is to separate the two different types of people based on looks. And they way they keep this peace is because the government, or whoever they have in charge sets the rules for everyone to abide too. And that's why it's also very mysterious, because what happened so that they had to set these rules? And why are they so secretive about the outside world?

message 22: by Nina (new)

Nina | 7 comments The setting is unique because of the different groups and society. It has everyone separated so the different groups only really interact with each other although they might have a small interacting time with one another although it may determine the out come of the rest of there lives.

message 23: by Alexa (last edited Feb 07, 2017 11:48AM) (new)

Alexa Martin | 7 comments The setting in this story is unique because at the age of 16 you turn from an ugly person, to a pretty person. The worlds of Pretties and Uglies are separated and New Pretty Town is much better. People party every night there and have fun every day. This enhances the story because it is exciting to live there. It could also take away from the story because the worlds are separated and that makes the Uglies feel bad. The Uglies wish they were pretty and cannot wait until they turn 16. Once you turned pretty, being ugly seemed so insignificant. “Once she was pretty, nothing she'd done in the last month would matter” (Westerfeld 76). I think that after you changed, you should still care about the things that have mattered to you in the past. New Pretty Town seems fun, but I might get tired of the really exciting lifestyle.

message 24: by Mia (new)

Mia Frese | 10 comments The setting in Scott Westerfields book Uglies takes place in the future where there is a separation of the uglies and the pretties. "She could see New Pretty Town through her open window." (Westerfield 3). Uglies are divided from the pretties, if you try to contact one higher then you you are breaking the law. But, if you are a pretty you have freedom to do as you please but be seen with an ugly. All pretties were ugly for 16 years of their life, but, have seemed to forgotten what it felt like to be discluded from the constant parties and foolish fun. Therefore, the setting in this book effects how society sees humans in all their flaws and perfect imperfections.

message 25: by Avery (last edited Feb 07, 2017 12:00PM) (new)

Avery Hand | 7 comments The setting is unique because it is placed in the future, and how everyone could act and look when our original society fails. Once you're ugly, you are separated from your parents and all the pretties until your 16th birthday, when you can have the surgery to become one yourself. Everyone treats you different when you're a pretty, like they want to listen to everything you have to say and protect you from harm at all costs. Almost everyone wants to be pretty; that's how most were raised to think and view beauty. This enhances the story because it gives a viewpoint on a different society. "Shay wasn't exactly a freak, but she was hardly a natural born pretty." (Westerfield 75)

message 26: by Amia (new)

Amia | 8 comments The setting is unique because the world is in the future and it is divided into two separate parts the uglies and pretties. The society raises the kids to think that everyone should look the same so there won't be any fighting. If you're a pretty you're perfect, the best of the best, you get to have fun all day and not worry about anything else. But if you're ugly you would be separated from the pretties, until you're 16 and you get the surgery to make you pretty. This enhances the story because it keeps us on edge and guessing what would happen if someone didn't want the surgery. In the chapter FIGHT Shay said “I don't want be pretty,” (Westerfeld 80). I think that when there split up it messes up the young uglies self esteem.

message 27: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Bell | 2 comments This book is unique because it gives another perspective to life. If your ugly, you can't hang out with the pretties. But once you turn 16, you can get surgery to become pretty. Your treated differently depending on if your pretty, or ugly. Pretties have no worries, and live the perfect life while uglies have it more difficult. I think this gives a good example of what society is today

message 28: by Avery (new)

Avery Hand | 7 comments Mia wrote: "The setting in Scott Westerfields book Uglies takes place in the future where there is a separation of the uglies and the pretties. "She could see New Pretty Town through her open window." (Westerf..."

I agree with what you wrote. It seems like everyone who turns pretty, always has a "reputation" to uphold as a new pretty. They seem to forget how awful they felt as an ugly, always left out of the fun.

message 29: by Olivia (new)

Olivia Schneider | 4 comments The setting of the Uglies is unique because it features the city. All life is contained in a single city besides the Smoke. In the city there are different areas where each age group lives. We are first introduced to New Pretty Town and Uglyville. "She could see New Pretty Town through her open window." (Westerfeld 3). "The dark backdrop of Uglyville made it easy to hide." (Westerfeld 6). Personally I think the author could have chosen city names that weren't so obvious and non-creative.

message 30: by Abbie (new)

Abbie Bouska | 8 comments What is unique about the setting of the book and how does it enhance or take away from the story?

The setting of the book "Uglies" is unique because it separates people depending on how old they are. The people who are 12 -16 are considered Uglies and anyone who is older than 16 is considered a Pretty.You can tell it is set in the future because it talks about an old town outside of the city that describes what life is like right now. You can also tell it is set in the future because of all of the technology that they have that we don't have right know like the interface ring that they show at the begining of the story "Tally took of her interface ring and said "good night." "sweet dreams,Tally" said the room." (Westerfeld 2).they also talked about hoverboards that Tally rides after finding Shay, " Hoverboarding looks so fun ,lie being a bird .But actually doing it is hard work."(Westerfeld 33).Also the Part about the Rusties I think enhances the story by giving it a little bit of mystery of what happened to the Rusties and there home.

message 31: by Abbie (new)

Abbie Bouska | 8 comments Alexa wrote: "The setting in this story is unique because at the age of 16 you turn from an ugly person, to a pretty person. The worlds of Pretties and Uglies are separated and New Pretty Town is much better. Pe..."

I agree that the new pretties should still care about what they did when they were ugly. But being pretty is suppose to be like a new version of themselves. They want to forget that they were ever ugly and what to remember themselves like the pretty version that they are. I still agree that they should care about what they did as an Ugly.

message 32: by Nina (new)

Nina | 7 comments Avery wrote: "The setting is unique because it is placed in the future, and how everyone could act and look when our original society fails. Once you're ugly, you are separated from your parents and all the pret..."

I agree with you, everything changes after you become 16. But becoming pretty ins't the only way your life could change after that. Although it's the most desired way, it's not the best way in terms of 'breaking the system'.

message 33: by Amia (new)

Amia | 8 comments Mia wrote: "The setting in Scott Westerfields book Uglies takes place in the future where there is a separation of the uglies and the pretties. "She could see New Pretty Town through her open window." (Westerf..."

I agree that the pretties forget whats it's like to be ugly. I also agree that the pretties have more freedom then the uglies. They get to have endless parties and alot of fun.

message 34: by Mia (new)

Mia Frese | 10 comments Jada wrote: "Something unique about the setting is that it takes place in the future and the world is kind of separated between uglies and pretties and I think it makes the story better just because it is the w..." I agree because the setting is what makes the plot line. Although, the paragraph was supposed to be 5-7 sentences and through the race system. Though overall agree where you are coming from.

message 35: by Mia (new)

Mia Frese | 10 comments Avery wrote: "The setting is unique because it is placed in the future, and how everyone could act and look when our original society fails. Once you're ugly, you are separated from your parents and all the pret..." Good job

message 36: by Darby (new)

Darby | 3 comments The setting is unique because the book is based around two different groups: the pretties and the uglies. The pretties are the ones who have perfect eyes, flawless skin, and the fun, exciting life you would want to live. The uglies are the ones that are despised and put down for their ugly faces, and are constantly reminded of it. "Maybe just being ugly is why uglies always fight and pick on one another, because they aren't happy with who they are.(Westerfeld 80).

message 37: by Ella (new)

Ella Wagner | 8 comments Olivia wrote: "The setting of the Uglies is unique because it features the city. All life is contained in a single city besides the Smoke. In the city there are different areas where each age group lives. We are ..."

I agree with you that the author could have chosen more creative names for the cities. The settings are also unique in the ways that they help represent the segregation that takes place in the story.

message 38: by Madison (new)

Madison Volkenant | 3 comments Olivia wrote: "The setting of the Uglies is unique because it features the city. All life is contained in a single city besides the Smoke. In the city there are different areas where each age group lives. We are ..."

I completely agree with you. I think she could have used better names but she probably didn't want to explain much about the other places since the setting isn't focused in those cities. Don't forget that when their little they call themselves littles, which is also a very generic name.

message 39: by Blake (new)

Blake Burczek | 9 comments Conner wrote: "There is basically two worlds going on in one and you are segregated and confined to the ugly world until you turn 16."

yes

message 40: by Matthew (new)

Matthew | 4 comments I do agree with Ella. The setting does add to the story because it does give clues about how society is corrupt. I also think the character's personalities also add to the story as well. Do you agree?

message 41: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Jessen | 8 comments Matthew wrote: "I do agree with Ella. The setting does add to the story because it does give clues about how society is corrupt. I also think the character's personalities also add to the story as well. Do you agree?"
I also agree with this.

message 42: by Olivia (last edited Feb 10, 2017 07:59AM) (new)

Olivia Schneider | 4 comments Amia wrote: "The setting is unique because the world is in the future and it is divided into two separate parts the uglies and pretties. The society raises the kids to think that everyone should look the same s..."

You said that when the uglies and the pretties were split up it messed with the uglies self esteem. I totally agree with you because by separating them and telling the "uglies" the pretties are better, the uglies learn to hate what they look like, and even who they are. Everything from their own separate dormitories to their school classes is designed to make them not only hate themselves but also worship the pretties.

message 43: by Blake (new)

Blake Burczek | 9 comments Conner wrote: "There is basically two worlds going on in one and you are segregated and confined to the ugly world until you turn 16."

yes i agree with this statement because they were segregated in one world