Spanish Inquisition discussion

Art of War thread V

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patrick (new)

Patrick | 19 comments In the book I did not find many examples of writing strategies other than the ones we have already mentioned, do you know of any?

message 2: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Palladino | 25 comments Mod
In chapter VII, "Maneuvering", on page 79, he cites the "Book of Army Managment". This can be considered allusion, although I don't think it was because everybody read it at the time. Based on context and circumstance, he's using this as a form of ethos development. Also I'm using an online book, so the pages are probably off.

message 3: by Joseph (new)

Maybe if you actually looked, Patrick, you wouldn't have to ask.

message 4: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Mealie | 26 comments Gosh damn it Patrick, what did I tell you about making new threads. Now you are just as dumb as Joey.

message 5: by Joseph (new)

Just answer the question. The more the better. Answer it, comment on my answer, both, do something.

message 6: by Patrick (new)

Patrick | 19 comments Yes Dan, you must know my pain as well being you could not see how it would be useful for business. And since you are so knowledgeable on the subject could you enlighten my inferior mind with another writing strategy?

message 7: by Patrick (new)

Patrick | 19 comments Check

message 8: by Patrick (new)

Patrick | 19 comments mate

message 9: by Alex Rousso (new)

Alex Rousso | 13 comments I think Sun Tzu's use of an informed tone helps the reader develop trust in Sun Tzu, as well as his tone forming a concrete writing strategy. "When in difficult country, do not encamp. In country where high roads intersect, join hands with your allies." (Tzu 85). Sun Tzu writes directly to the reader, without any extra or unnecessary details. This can imply an informative tone, one that makes the reader feel that Sun Tzu knows what he is writing about.

message 10: by Brigid (new)

Brigid Cruickshank | 20 comments The best posts come from this man who apparently joined your group. Alex you have better posts but you are almost always the last one to post. I am not changing your group because you all are working at the same level. I will, however, pick your next book. It is going to be The Art of Racing in the Rain. It is good, rich, and you will have plenty of textual evidence to pull. It is also not very long. I know we are reading The Crucible currently, but I would like you all to obtain a copy (libraries, amazon, etc.). Come show me your copies by the 27th. Together we will make this group a success!!!!!!!