Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

The Invisible Library (The Invisible Library, #1)
This topic is about The Invisible Library
Jan-Mar 2017: HIATUS DISCUSSION! > Feb 2017 Hiatus Pick: The Invisible Library *SPOILERS*

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sean Lookielook Sandulak (seansandulak) | 918 comments Mod
The forum-picked title for February is The Invisible Library by Genevieve Cogman Use this thread to discuss the book.
The first installment of an adventure featuring stolen books, secret agents and forbidden societies - think Doctor Who with librarian spies!

Irene must be at the top of her game or she'll be off the case - permanently...

Irene is a professional spy for the mysterious Library, which harvests fiction from different realities. And along with her enigmatic assistant Kai, she's posted to an alternative London. Their mission - to retrieve a dangerous book. But when they arrive, it's already been stolen. London's underground factions seem prepared to fight to the very death to find her book.

Adding to the jeopardy, this world is chaos-infested - the laws of nature bent to allow supernatural creatures and unpredictable magic. Irene's new assistant is also hiding secrets of his own.

Soon, she's up to her eyebrows in a heady mix of danger, clues and secret societies. Yet failure is not an option - the nature of reality itself is at stake.

Shaitarn | 23 comments So I'm midway through chapter 14 and really enjoying this! is anyone else reading this?

Vanessa | 8 comments I've read it previously and loved it!

elizabeth • paper ghosts (paperghosts) My copy from the library finally came in yesterday! I've just got to finish up the one I'm reading now, and then I'll be hopping into it. :D

Stephanie (cozyuptocrime) | 46 comments I read it last year and really enjoyed it! It was fast-paced, well-written, and the world was very unique. I keep meaning to pick up the second book in the series.

Malaraa | 335 comments Around half-way through, very fun so far! :)

Frakki Karu | 509 comments Are we living in Primal Chaos yet?

Frakki Karu | 509 comments The chaos infestation has taken over D.C.!

message 9: by Margaret (last edited Feb 10, 2017 02:41AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Margaret Kearney (makeralfish) On chapter 7 at the moment.It reminds me of Jodi Taylors The Chronicles of St Mary's series. But less bonkers.

Sweta Agrawal (swetarr) i totally SWALLOWED this book. I especially loved all the meta-references to reading and books, like how all these different worlds had books that essentially signaled their character (aka did the world building) and how the way the librarians categorized the different worlds is totally how my friends will discuss different fantasy books and worlds. Not to mention that it was just FUN.

Shruti | 5 comments I've read this previously, but I think because I had read it right after reading Ink and Bone by Rachel Caine that this book didn't impact me as much. I think I'll have to go back and re-read it to remind me of the events of this book to continue on with the series.

Frakki Karu | 509 comments I'm listening to the audiobook and it's driving me nuts how they pronounce "library."

It's read with a British accent so that may be the reason why. That, or I've been pronouncing it wrong all these years.

How do you pronounce LIBRARY?

message 13: by Serendi (last edited Feb 11, 2017 08:44PM) (new)

Serendi LIE Brair Ee

Sarah P | 31 comments I've enjoyed this book, I really did, but I wouldn't say it's a great book. There are too many things that are left without answers, even just the start of an answer. I still don't get why this Library exists. The character of Vale sort of takes on the voice of the reader and asks all these very good questions, like what is the Library, where does it get its "authority" and all that, but we don't get much of an answer. Maybe in the next books.

The writing is also very inconsistent. There are things that are well described, detailed, and others that are completely left to the imagination and I couldn't see the rationale behind it. There are scenes where the author really helped me imagine the decor, the movements and everything, and others where I was just reading words and couldn't actually follow how everything was working out or looked. I prefer a more consistent way of telling a story: either you only talk about actions and leave everything else to the reader, or you provide some staging info every step of the way. The dialogues are not very natural either, and I read a similar comment somewhere so I'm not the only one who thought the author could have worked on those a bit more.

Now the issue with the story: there is no twist, it's a series of events and adventures, but there is absolutely no twist. I kept anticipating surprises and I found the plot to be very.... linear....

Again, I did enjoy the book and I will pick up the second in the series. It is her first novel, so I believe she will/did get better with practice!

Hannah | 4 comments I just finished reading this book a few weeks ago. I really enjoyed it, I also really like the 2nd and 3rd book too. It's a really fun read.

message 16: by Ju (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ju Transcendancing (transcendancing) SarahP wrote: "I've enjoyed this book, I really did, but I wouldn't say it's a great book. There are too many things that are left without answers, even just the start of an answer. I still don't get why this Lib..."

I couldn't agree more, it's a good read, but it's not great and some of thew ways in which it falls down could have been avoided I think.

Sarah P | 31 comments Hannah wrote: "I just finished reading this book a few weeks ago. I really enjoyed it, I also really like the 2nd and 3rd book too. It's a really fun read."

I think this book will benefit from the other ones. I believe the author should have taken more time in the first one to explain all the context and the complex world the stories evolve in, and let go of a couple alligators... I will definitely add the other ones to my to-read list. Do you know if she only meant it to be a trilogy?

message 18: by Snooty1 (last edited Feb 19, 2017 07:33AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Snooty1 I was thoroughly entertained. A lot of time had to be spent on world building and explaining the role of the library, so I'm hopeful that the next books will dive right into the action. Especially since they are set in the same alternate. (or at least I think they will be).
The only complaint I had is that I couldn't figure out the dynamic between the characters. Call me a total romance addict, but is Irene into Vale? Into Kai? Into both??? Or neither?
I mean a girl has to keep herself entertained.... I hope that is flushed out more in the next books.

Hannah | 4 comments SarahP wrote: "Hannah wrote: "I just finished reading this book a few weeks ago. I really enjoyed it, I also really like the 2nd and 3rd book too. It's a really fun read."

I think this book will benefit from the..."

I want to believe that there will be more books in the future. The third book ended in a way that I just can't believe that the author wouldn't follow up and answer more questions.

Hannah | 4 comments Snooty1 wrote: "I was thoroughly entertained. A lot of time had to be spent on world building and explaining the role of the library, so I'm hopeful that the next books will dive right into the action. Especially ..."

I totally agree that the dynamic between Irene, Kai, and Vale is confusing. And in the next two books it doesn't truly get flushed out, I think the romance part is just a small part of the story. I am hoping there will be more books.

elizabeth • paper ghosts (paperghosts) SarahP wrote: "I've enjoyed this book, I really did, but I wouldn't say it's a great book. There are too many things that are left without answers, even just the start of an answer. I still don't get why this Lib..."

I just finished it (finally! I'm so behind!) last night, and I agree completely with this. It was a light, kinda fluffy, enjoyable read, but I wanted something meatier out of it. The world was fascinating, but I ended up with too many unanswered questions, and some of the characters felt really flat and inconsistent.

But I'm still going to be giving the rest of the series a shot! I really like the world, I just want to see maybe a teensy bit more polishing and editing in the rest of the series.

Sarah P | 31 comments Hannah wrote: "SarahP wrote: "Hannah wrote: "I just finished reading this book a few weeks ago. I really enjoyed it, I also really like the 2nd and 3rd book too. It's a really fun read."

I think this book will b..."

The fourth one should come out at the end of this year!

Sarah P | 31 comments Liz // nvl.tea wrote: "SarahP wrote: "I've enjoyed this book, I really did, but I wouldn't say it's a great book. There are too many things that are left without answers, even just the start of an answer. I still don't g..."

It's funny how you can be quite disappointed with so many things in a book, but in the end... we all want to read the rest of the series! I guess the author knew where to put the efforts to catch her readers nonetheless!

elizabeth • paper ghosts (paperghosts) SarahP wrote: "Liz // nvl.tea wrote: "SarahP wrote: "I've enjoyed this book, I really did, but I wouldn't say it's a great book. There are too many things that are left without answers, even just the start of an ..."

Seriously! I didn't love the book, but I am surprisingly eager to see how the series goes. I just have such a weakness for books about books. xD

Rebecca (tezzatipoca) | 8 comments Snooty1 wrote: "I was thoroughly entertained. A lot of time had to be spent on world building and explaining the role of the library, so I'm hopeful that the next books will dive right into the action. Especially ..."
This confused me too, and I'm fine with little to no romance, but I felt in the last half her connection with Kai was forced in the little-casual-touches and seriously-I-just-fell-on-you-three-times way. And I was like no. I don't feel like the attraction was earned.
And the initial description of Kai as too attractive to get with was obnoxious. For one, I don't see Irene as someone who has that reaction to visually attractive men, like "Oh, I'll never get with him, he's too pretty." And then it was a dead give-away that he would end up being the main love interest.
But the confusing part is her thing for Vale, which is more fitting, and how she shut Kai down initially.
So I loved this book but if she and Kai have a forced romance in the future it might put me off.

Rebecca (tezzatipoca) | 8 comments Can we talk about Bradamant? She was an awesome character. The whole relationship between Irene and Bradamant was complex, and push-pull, and I like that everything was questioned and flushed out--like Bradamant's loyalty, her methods, and her relationship with Irene. She was manipulative without being evil. She made mistakes but wasn't incompetent. Her alternate identity was really clever and she was kind of a badass (can I say that?) sometimes.

In the question of methods, though, I do appreciate that Irene's diplomatic approach won over Bradamant's every-woman-for-herself. Usually when that comes into question, everyone assumes that being aggressive and self-serving is more efficient. It's like some harsh reality that I still haven't accepted, and people always think I'm naive--ok I'm taking things personally lol. So it was nice to diplomacy and honesty held up over covertness and individualism. What do ya'll think?

message 27: by Sean Lookielook (new)

Sean Lookielook Sandulak (seansandulak) | 918 comments Mod
Sword & Laser is reading this as their main pick for April 2017, so now Veronica has to read it. You can follow the discussions in this folder: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

Matthew Kitson | 68 comments Just finished it. It sets up for an intriguing series.

Definitely action packed and always moving, i enjoyed it. One draw back i had was the world building of the alternate. Didnt fully grasp the "chaos" aspect.

Amanda (amandameowly) | 20 comments Rebecca wrote: "Can we talk about Bradamant? She was an awesome character. The whole relationship between Irene and Bradamant was complex, and push-pull, and I like that everything was questioned and flushed out--..."

I would love to see a Bradamant side story as her time as a cat burglar!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Invisible Library (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Genevieve Cogman (other topics)