Cozy Mystery Corner discussion

Featured Series and Cozies > Fixer Upper Mystery by Kate Carlisle

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nell (last edited Feb 01, 2017 02:42AM) (new)

Nell | 2601 comments Mod
The theme for February 2017 is home renovation, the series is the Fixer Upper mysteries by Kate Carlisle. The main character, Shannon Hammer, is a contractor who specializes in restoring Victorian homes. The series is set in a coastal town in California. The first book in the series is A High-End Finish.

A High-End Finish (A Fixer-Upper Mystery, #1) by Kate Carlisle

Other books in the series are:
This Old Homicide (A Fixer-Upper Mystery, #2) by Kate Carlisle Crowned and Moldering (A Fixer-Upper Mystery, #3) by Kate Carlisle Deck the Hallways (A Fixer-Upper Mystery, #4) by Kate Carlisle

This Old Homicide
Crowned and Moldering
Deck the Hallways

The second book in the series is a made-for-tv movie on the Hallmark Mystery channel that first aired in January.

Discuss any book in the series here.

message 2: by Barb (new)

Barb | 684 comments Ooooh, the second in this series is on my "try to read in February" list. Maybe I'll actually read one of the group's featured series in the "right" month :)

message 3: by Tari (new)

Tari (thann) | 105 comments I wanted to read this series anyway since it's now on Hallmark Mysteries but being me, I wanted to start with #1. I thought it was pretty cool that it was one of the books the group is reading this month. I'm getting close to done with it, can't put it down!

message 4: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Sousa | 442 comments I read the first book at the end of last year. I was so impressed that I started the second one (This Old Homicide). So far, it also is really good!

message 5: by Tari (new)

Tari (thann) | 105 comments Barbara, that's good to know! I saw the Hallmark movie based on the 2nd book so I'm anxious to read it. Now if I can finish it before the 13th, that's when I'm wanting to start another one with a Kathi Daley book club on Facebook.

Barbara wrote: "I read the first book at the end of last year. I was so impressed that I started the second one (This Old Homicide). So far, it also is really good!"

message 6: by Tari (new)

Tari (thann) | 105 comments Just finished the first one a little while ago. I had kinda suspected who the killer was but the reasoning and all the explanations behind it had kept me baffled till it all came out in the open.

message 7: by Nell (new)

Nell | 2601 comments Mod
Started This Old Homicide - second in the series. The Hallmark channel televised this one last month. It's in my DVR so I plan to watch the movie after I finish the book.

message 8: by Tari (new)

Tari (thann) | 105 comments Nell wrote: "Started This Old Homicide - second in the series. The Hallmark channel televised this one last month. It's in my DVR so I plan to watch the movie after I finish the book."
Ooo sounds like a plan! I watched most of the movie but got into it just late enough to miss a few details so hopefully I'll pick those up when I read the book. Have fun! :)

message 9: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Munger | 220 comments I just finished the Fixer Upper February challenge and just loved it, definitely will be reading the next books now time to start next February book by Sharon Pope. Is there a time we discuss the books?

message 10: by Nell (last edited Feb 15, 2017 07:47AM) (new)

Nell | 2601 comments Mod
I finished the second book in the series and have a mixed review. The ghost story didn't add anything to the book. It seemed unnecessary and didn't fit well. Maybe it's a set-up for a future book? That's one reason that it dragged in the middle. The author did a good job with red herrings and led me "down the garden path". Midway through I was sure that I knew who the killer was, bothered only by how obvious it seemed. My guess was wrong. Nice twist at the end. Overall, I liked the first one better but will likely continue with the series.

message 11: by Mark (new)

Mark Baker (carstairs38) | 696 comments I enjoyed the movie last month, so I picked up the first to read this month. I found it only average, which surprised me. I felt the book was more about events than it was about actually solving the mystery. Heck, we hardly talked to the suspects the whole way through, instead it was about Shannon's reaction to the events. There were plenty of events, so I wasn't bored, but I was certainly frustrated.

On the other hand, I loved the characters and the setting. So I'm torn about the series.

message 12: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 653 comments I read This Old Homicide a couple of years ago and really didn't care for it at all. Much prefer Juliet Blackwell's Haunted Home Renovations books. I like Kate Carlisle's other series, just not this one.

message 13: by Nell (last edited Feb 26, 2017 05:34AM) (new)

Nell | 2601 comments Mod
I read the book and now I'm watching the HMM adaptation. The movie opens with someone setting a bomb on a boat that explodes minutes later killing the owner!?! I don't remember that happening in the book. I know they make a lot of changes but...

message 14: by Nell (last edited Feb 26, 2017 05:41AM) (new)

Nell | 2601 comments Mod
I DVR'd the Hallmark movie of This Old Homicide and watched it this week. It was OK but the book is much better. The movie was more violent and there were several differences. For some reason that bothered me more for this one than it did in the Flower Shop and Aurora Teagarden movies. Maybe because I read those books years before not in the same month. And I kept seeing the male character as a washing machine! LOL! (He did those Maytag commercials.) Still it was a nice afternoon diversion. I will probably watch the next one.