Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie discussion

The Writing Process > Nook Press?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by R.L. (new)

R.L. Jackson (authorrljackson) | 856 comments Mod
So I was ding a little research and stumbled on the Nook Print On Demand platform as well as being able to have your book placed in stores, if you have sold a certain number of e-books through Nook. Anyone else do this? It seems an alluring way to get authors to step over to Nook, especially since Amazon doesn't have any brick and mortar stores. I think B&N and Nook dropped the ball long ago when they should have been the pioneers all along, but it is what it is. Has anyone done anything with Nook or are we all Amazon-ians?

message 2: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments I'm all in with Amazon at present, but I'm not against the idea of diversifying if I'm convinced it's worth doing. I'll keep an eye out here for anyone who might be able to provide useful information.

message 3: by Julie (new)

Julie Gerber | 189 comments Mod
I'm not sure if they could compete with Amazon sales. I've had a paperback for sale on their site and haven't even sold one. Kindle Unlimited is big competition and it's unlikely that any store could match it for authors and/or readers.

message 4: by Carole (last edited Jan 31, 2017 05:52PM) (new)

Carole P. Roman | 4603 comments Mod
I think the free days you get with KDP really help with sales and promotion. When our ranks dip, we use it to bring the number back down.. Most people I know use Kindle. I think I only met two people who have The Nook. When we've talked about expanding that way, my son didn't want to do it. He feels you have a bigger advantage staying with KDP. They featured two of his books on Kindle which really helped with promotion. for two months, when we turned on Kindle, his book was the top suggestion. He stayed in the top ten of his genre for almost a year. They have also been very good to me. They featured me last Christmas as a great gift for kids, and then recently they promoted Navigating.

message 5: by R.L. (new)

That's awesome but what I like is the "getting your books in the store" part

message 6: by R.L. (new)

But I guess if no one is seeing it on nook, then it still wouldn't qualify to even get in stores. Amazon-Ian it is!!

message 7: by Carole (last edited Jan 31, 2017 05:53PM) (new)

Brit wants us to get on ebooks too, but Michael is adamant about staying with Kdp. He feels that free days, are one of the best tools. I think I agree with him.

message 8: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments I guess you have to balance the risk, if you're making a bundle off the Kindle Unlimited page reads or the borrows, then it's not worth sacrificing that without being sure you could make more from Nook/Kobo/and iBook sales.

I'm not sure how much help this anecdote will be, especially since it's several years out of date, but the last time I was published I had a fantastic weekend on Nook and reached #29 on the Nook charts.
I was really really happy with that, BUT, it only took 900 sales to manage it, it would have taken thousands, if not tens of thousands, to achieve the same rank in Amazon. That should give you some idea of the size of Amazon's market share and therefore the potential # of sales you can get through them.

message 9: by Carole (new)

I think you are right, Alex. They have a much smaller market share.

Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie

unread topics | mark unread