The Not a Book Club Club discussion

The Empty Throne (The Saxon Stories, #8)
This topic is about The Empty Throne
Saxon Stories > TET: Part Three - The God of War, 8-12 (Full Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6373 comments Mod
Section 3

Discuss Part Three - The God of War (8-12) and/or the book as a whole.

No spoiler tags required. Though it would be highly appreciated if you Uncheck Add to my Update Feed to avoid accidentally spoiling things for your good read friends.

Please do not discuss events from later books. Referring back to events from a previous section/book is fine.

Suzanne | 1582 comments So...when the mistress stabbed him with the sword - I thought for sure she was trying to kill him. And it sounds like the minion he spared and had swear an oath to him is going to have a big impact - like a 'creating England' type of impact.

And then at the end - the kid (the third AE character) also spared someone and had them swear. Well and so did the female AE - with the whole group at the beginning of the book. I totally don't trust people enough to be comfortable with that, but....it seems to be common in these books.

Suzanne | 1582 comments Oh, so I liked the end with the daughter running off. I could totally see it coming, but still. I especially liked it that Uthred was a big softie, because he felt the same way about her mother. I DID think when he said the daughter was going to be the mother of kings that he was going to marry her to...the old AE character.

We need Sky to name them for me so that I can describe them better :)

Richard Eyres (richardeyres) Well i was wrong about the healing part. I winced at the description of the stabbing and the releasing of the 'Evil'. Sounds like an abscess and the stabbing lanced it.
It was states a couple of times that 'many years later X would have happened', indicating that Uthred would be around for a large amount of time still. Well, now he is moving around a bit, it may happen.
Still more to read.

Richard Eyres (richardeyres) An enjoyable book, better than the last but not quite as good as the first few. Not 100% sure why - maybe its the lack of jeopardy to a lot of the main characters (not the main historical ones, but the fictional ones). They always seem to survive and win the day now.
May the next book will break that a little, but i need a break for a few weeks before i start the next book.

Loved the ending, with his daughter. Wonder where that will take the story.

message 6: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6373 comments Mod
I might actually find this book my favorite so far. It could just be so much time removed from the early books, and the close proximity to the previous book which was easily the weakest of the series.

I love his kids. I'm almost as interested in seeing how they'll fare as I am for his own fate. I'm also interested in the fate of Edward's oldest son too.

Uhtred has always been a softie towards those he loves. I can't say I'm surprised about how quickly he let his daughter follow her heart. I do like the Irish guy though, and it sounds like we'll be seeing him again.

There have been numerous references in the early books to him being very old and married to a Christian wife (because he complains about "her priests), so that takes a lot of the drama out of the "mortal peril" scenes with Uthred for me. It doesn't ruin my enjoyment of them somehow though.

I'm probably a bit busy with reading for the next month give or take. Maybe 3/20 or so for Warriors of the Storm?

Suzanne | 1582 comments That sounds like a good time for the next. I like the Irish guy too. His reaction to losing an eye was great.

message 8: by Christine (new)

Christine | 3 comments I'm afraid that I'm not familiar with many of the titles that people are saying they're reading soon... other than Robin Hobb's books, but I've read all of hers. I've just ordered Gideon Smith and the Mechanical Girl (Gideon Smith # 1), by David Barnett. It's steampunk, suggested to me by my friend Andy, also a member of this group, and it sounds great. He's an author that I haven't read before.

Mostly I prefer fantasy and scifi to steampunk, but if it's well-written I really like it, such as Gail Carriger's series.

message 9: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat | 1175 comments I loved this book, mainly because we finally get to know his children a bit better. Before they were always Stiorra and Osbert, who lived in Aethelflaed's household and no more was said about them.

The physical relationship between Uhtred and Aethelflaed seems to have cooled down. They didn't spend any private time together throughout the whole book. Yes, Aethelflaed is jealous of Eadith and obviously doesn't want her in Uhtred's bed, but they don't spend nights together like they have in previous books.

Also, now that I'm caught up, and don't need to come up with cunning plans to prevent you from spurring even farther ahead, I'll finally let you peeps schedule the next one at your convenience, hehe.

I loved that Stiorra went with the dude. It reminded me so much of that time Aethelflaed nearly ran off with her Danish lover at Baemfloet when she was young. Only I hope Stiorra's guy won't get killed as soon as we're not paying attention.