The Not a Book Club Club discussion

The Empty Throne (The Saxon Stories, #8)
This topic is about The Empty Throne
Saxon Stories > TET: General Discussion (No Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6373 comments Mod
So whose in for this? I'll be starting tonight..

Suzanne | 1582 comments I'll be starting tomorrow. I need to figure out what format - audio or kindle - but yup - tomorrow!

Richard Eyres (richardeyres) I will try and start it this weekend (need to finish another book before then). Will be doing this in Audio again.

Ctgt | 629 comments I've been reading these as digital library loans but there are no copies available so I'm on the wait list. May just slide by the library and pick up a physical copy.

message 5: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

When the TV show came out, they put most of the eBooks on sale, so I picked up like 1-6 and 8 for a few dollars each.

Book 7 never went on sale, so I paid like $10 for it I think. Book 9 went on sale for $5 at some point, so I have that one now too. So far there hasn't been a deal on book 10 though, so I'll probably end up paying full price when we get there (which might be $15).

However since I got like 7/10 books for cheap, and one for a reasonable price, I'll get over paying a lot for 2 of them.

Suzanne | 1582 comments I've had a mix of audio from the library, ones I got on sale, and ones I paid full price for. This was a sale one - maybe one of the first I bought (because of this group) - I looked llast night and downloaded it. Yay!

Richard Eyres (richardeyres) I got them all in Hardback, second hand. Paid about £3 a book (most of that was postage as well). In UK we have a fairly good second hand market, with good condition hardbacks selling for under a £1 (then add postage).
I have also been getting them on Audio, as that is my preferred reading method.
However, nothing beats a good bookshelf full of amazing hardbacks.

message 8: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat | 1175 comments That's true about the UK second hand market. I buy a lot second hand in the UK and have it shipped to Germany for far less than it would cost to buy foreign language books on the German market.

I'll be reading this, but won't join you for this round. I haven't had time to read at all and am still in the middle of DoK, so I don't think I will be able to catch up.

Have fun!

Ctgt | 629 comments Generally I have no problem buying a used book, do it all the time, but at this point I'm only purchasing books that I can't get in another format or books that I love. I have way too many physical books laying around the house already. Still waiting for the digital copy so I'll pick up a hard copy tomorrow.

message 10: by Ctgt (last edited Feb 04, 2017 05:26PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ctgt | 629 comments Digital loan came through so I'll be starting tomorrow....hopefully.

message 11: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat | 1175 comments Finally starting this today.

The burning question I have is about the title. Why empty? Last I knew, Edward was on the throne (of Wessex), so I'm looking forward to find out what happens in this instalment.

message 12: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

You'll have to refresh my memory on the significance of the title, cuz I don't remember anymore. lol.

message 13: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat | 1175 comments Not far in, but I think
(view spoiler)
and they're all fighting over it.

message 14: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ah ok. Thanks